What's new

New Nine Inch Nails Album "Ghosts - Parts I-IV" on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
...yes...I did say album!

With the realization that DVD-Audio is dead, could this be the beginning of more "mainstream" music being released in a high-rez format? (I hate calling NIN mainstream because I don't believe it is, but you know what I mean).

Anyways, Trent Reznor, the man who clearly loves quality, has decided to release "Ghosts: Parts I-IV" 24/96 stereo on Blu-ray. Just audio. Perfect! (It's also available as CD or digital download only from the website and Amazon).

How about releasing the rest of the catalogue the same way? He had mentioned that 5.1 work had be done for The Fragile as well as Broken and Fixed.

Can't wait to hear this in high-rez. Now all we need are some awesome BD transport/DAC combos or players like we've been enjoying with CD...not this Japanese stuff.

Mike

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Nice. I wondered if Blu Ray had any potential to become a player in Hi Rez audio. I have the Downward Spiral on SACD, which was a nice effort, and the Beside You in Time HD-DVD sampler, so I've been aware of Reznor's commitment to Hi Rez for a while. I guess he doesn't feel that SACD is the way to go any more.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
wow.... no mention of this is in the HTF music forum... perhaps bigger news than the Blu ray release is the simple news that NIN have a new album out. Suprise release, free download, and 3 more albums in the works!

Not much chance of the rest of the catalog the same way... they are owned by Interscope and TVT, who Trent has public feuded with. This album being free is a good way to rub it in to them.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
i would have never known if my friend didn't call me. i haven't visited NIN.com in months because the site doesn't change much. my friend actually saw it advertised on a top ten new album list listed as #1. he was like "when did nin come out with a new album?" and proceeded to check the website and found his answer. i'm glad he found out when he did. being only the second day up, i'm a happy fan to have snatched a limited edition deluxe set with Trent's autograph.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
75 bucks was a little pricey to me for just instrumentals.

granted i did pay 5$ at amazon though to get it. About halfway thru now, the pdf booklet has some nice photos in it, im assume that is what comes in the book too.

A 5.1 of pretty hate machine never came about cause tvt wanted reznor to do it, but not pay him to do it. Maybe with thier financial troubles someone can pick up the nin stuff and get it back to trent which would be nice.

Hopefully he left interscope on decent terms and they will be willing to work with him on the fragile and letting him legally own his masters.

oh, and i did start a new post in the music forum this morning before i saw this one.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Not the biggest NIN fan but I do respect Reznor as a musician and I do own cd of Downward Spiral. Dont care for him personally

Regardless of my feelings toward him this is a neat idea and I hope it works.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
he's come a long way since the drugged out times of downward spiral. i Think 'with teeth' is about his best album

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

Ill have to give it a spin then. I didnt like Fragile and lost track after that.

Thanks for the recommendation

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
There was also rumours of Neil Young releasing his Archives Box Set as Blu-Ray only.
I'm excited about a format that unifies high quality video and audio. I think the main reason SACD and DVD-Audio failed is because you had to go out of your way to buy equipment to play them. Blu-ray is an emerging format with the quality of DVD-Audio built in. Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City it the pinnacle of quality for this. High Def 1080 video and 24/96 5.1 in lossless TrueHD. I can't wait to see what will be released.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I'm not a huge "With Teeth" fan. There are a few good tracks on it. If I had to pick a favourite of the newer stuff, it would be Year Zero even though I'm not a fan of political albums.

Broken, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile are three great albums in my opinion...although I can see how a new listener to NIN could get "lost" listening to an album like The Fragile.

Mike

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Yeah, it's a pity that Broken wasn't a longer album. I love the raw, angry sound of both the music and the vocals. I need to buy a new copy of The Fragile. Mine is scratched up and I think it's time to give up waiting for the SACD. :frowning:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm more partial to Pretty Hate Machine and Year Zero, but I like this idea. I have no issue with paying $10 for the 2 CD set and getting the downloads in the interim. Can't justify the $75 for the 4 disc set including the BD mix, especially since I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Absolutely love THE FRAGILE, like WITH TEETH a lot, but I couldn't get into YEAR ZERO at all. I'm sure I'll give it another shot one of these days.

So far I'm really liking GHOSTS....

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Year Zero is one of those albums that grows on you. You get away from it for awhile, you go back and you're pleasantly surprised.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Agreed!

I can't wait to see music released on Blu-ray. Diana Krall and James Taylor are big on my list, but I want everything.

That 24/96 DTHD track on the David Matthews band BD is incredbile.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I haven't listened to GHOSTS yet. I haven't even downloaded it from the link. I was waiting for the web traffic to die down, but now that's probably cleared, now I'm not sure what format to download it to. I've decided against MP3 - I want at least CD quality before my BD arrives. So that leaves me with FLAC and iTunes...although I'm not really versed in this downloadable technology. I plan to put it to an iTunes player, so maybe I should get the iTunes one. Can I make a regular CD from it?

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

Depending on your software, FLAC can be kind of difficult to burn to a CD (at least it thwarted me in the past). Of course, I'm no expert on that sort of thing...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks