New NAD Pre amp and Amplifier

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Frank La Rocca, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Frank La Rocca

Check out this new NAD T163 A/V Tuner Preamplifier and T973 Seven Channel Amplifier. I've been looking for an inexpensive Pre/Pro that is a little more musical that the Outlaw but not as expensive as the Anthem, since I'm 75%/25% music/movies. It also has to be multichannel since I really like being enveloped by the music.(yes I know I want Fillet Mignon for the price of a burger.) This one seems to fill that spot nicely. Also NAD has a reputaion for making good musical no frills receivers. Can't wait to check it out.

http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/0903/23.nad.shtml

2. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

"Also NAD has a reputaion for making good musical no frills receivers. Can't wait to check it out."

From one Brooklynite to another, its a reputation that's well deserved! I just bought a T762, and even through my soon-to-be-replaced Bose 301's, my CD's have never sounded better. My music/movie ratio favors music as well (but is a bit more balanced) and the NAD is perfect for my listening preferences. Its got more power than I need right now, but I won't be worrying about upgrading when I eventually move to a larger place.

I can only imagine how good NAD seperates must sound!

3. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

"I've been looking for an inexpensive Pre/Pro that is a little more musical that the Outlaw"

Frank, and you heard this NAD at ________ to arrive at this conclusion [​IMG]

4. Frank La Rocca

Your right, I haven't heard the new NAD Pre/Pro. In all honesty I haven't even heard the Outlaw or the Anthem. I'm only going on the reputation of NAD from listening to some friends receivers and from reading forums on their past products. As far as the Outlaw, I'm only going on what I've read on several forums. Since Outlaw has a generous policy on trying their equipment I think it would be an interesting experiment to audtion both when the time comes for me to buy. If only I can find the time between all my projects.

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Don't forget that around that pirce range there's also the
    new Integra seperates and the ones from Adcom.

6. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

NAD receivers and prepros have always been very musical and I did compare the NAD T752 as a prepro against the Outlaw. My only concern is if the new NAD prepro will offer anything substantial over the T752/762 etc. in terms of processing as it seems to be the same processor used in those receivers with the same input output connections. I wonder if there will be much difference in sound quality when using the T series receivers as prepros compared to the new NAD prepro.

7. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Frank, I think that it would best serve you to listen to the Outlaw unit for yourself. While it may be described as less musical than other pre/pros, you should look at what it has been compared to. Anything from a Rotel 1066 to the Anthem 20 to a Lexicon MC12 has been said to be more musical than the Outlaw, but they range from 50-1000% more expensive than the Outlaw. I think that the best comparison would be to the Rotel, as I thought that the presentation of the Outlaw was a little drier than the Rotel. Some people like this type of presentation, some do not, but it behooves you to at least try to hear the Rotel first. You might be satisfied with the units performance, which is unparralelled at the price point.
    As for Nad, I compare them to Rotel as they are very no frills, but come out with sturdy and exceptional sounding units. Try to find a dealer that carried both and compare them.