HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew

New NAD Masters Series M17 V2 Processor for Spring 2018
NAD-M17-V2-Front-for-website-1024x683.jpg

NAD Electronics has unveiled a 'new and improved' Masters Series Surround AV Preamp/Processor, the M17 V2, available in the Spring of 2018. Priced at MSRP $5,999 in the US, the unit incorporates 'Modular Design Construction' (MDC), which means all major digital circuits can be upgraded and replaced to keep up with latest tech developments and enhancements.

This latest version of the preamp will include UHD 4K video, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, Dirac Live Full Room Correction and BluOS for streaming high-res multi-room audio. NAD stresses that this new version of M17 is the identical previously available chassis, but with the new audio and video modules installed. The inherent advantage of this system is clearly the ability for a customer only to replace the module they wish to upgrade, and not the entire AV preamp/processor.

The M17 V2 offers full HDMI video switching and surround sound decoding, along with 11.1 balanced outputs. The surround mode of the source material is automatically detected by the preamp, whether it's lossless - as in Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio - or Dolby Atmos object-based audio. Conversion of decoded digital bitstreams is performed with 'high resolution and extremely linear D/A converters' selected for their performance capabilities. Furthermore, DACs are fully balanced, and locking connectors and special interface electronics support long cable runs without noise pick-up or signal loss.

The unit includes HDCP 2.2, 4:4:4 color resolution, HDR video support, and CEC/ARC, and digital inputs and outputs are available as both coaxial and optical formats. There are also a variety of features related to management of independent Zones 2 - 4, and an RS-232 data port makes it convenient to connect to advanced automated control systems, such as Crestron and Control4.

NAD-M17.2-Rear-for-website-300x162.jpg

"The Masters M17 V2 represents NAD's finest surround sound performance and compares with AV Pre/Pros costing many times its price," stated Greg Stidsen, NAD's Director of Technology and Product Planning. "MDC allows us to incorporate the latest cutting-edge technologies and to keep it flexible and up to the minute. The M17 V2 will satisfy the most demanding videophiles and audiophiles too."

Key Features of the NAD Masters VM17 V2
  • UHD 4K Video for lifelike realism
  • BluOS Hi-Res Audio multi-room music player
  • Dolby Atmos for enhanced home theater sound experience
  • Dirac Live Full Room Correction
  • DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Fully Balanced Audio with Separate Linear Supply
  • MDC (Modular Design Construction) helps prevent obsolescence and take advantage of new technologies while protecting the customer's investment

Last edited:

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
We must assume that some of our readers are rich, Alberto! Plus, I think it's important that we have visibility to the aspirational stuff, as well as the off-the-shelf Best Buy items. Much of the leading-edge tech finds its way into lower price points over time.

Alberto_D

BANNED
I'm sorry Mr Martin. I wasn't criticizing you or this forum. I respect the work you had evaluating and making reviews.
It's just that I feel some products have abusive prices, sometimes sort of predatory aiming high profit for exploiting videophyle consumers.

One day, if you have time, maybe would be nice to show how do you review so many products. Have they send samples, or invite you for demonstrations ?
It's a privilege you have to be in touch with the last technology advances.

We must assume that some of our readers are rich, Alberto! Plus, I think it's important that we have visibility to the aspirational stuff, as well as the off-the-shelf Best Buy items. Much of the leading-edge tech finds its way into lower price points over time.

Last edited:

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
No, don't worry, Alberto. I didn't think you were being critical, and thanks for your kind words. I understand that pricing on high-end items can be very frustrating, but I think it's mostly because smaller companies have to plough so much of their hard-earned cash back into R&D.

I'm really just news reporting here on the site, not reviewing products just yet. I scour the internet for press releases and gossip, and hopefully find stories of interest to the readers. I also go to conventions and tradeshows to try out new HT tech, and write for Home Cinema Choice magazine in the UK (similar to Sound and Vision in the US) too.

djf3523

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Ferris
No, don't worry, Alberto. I didn't think you were being critical, and thanks for your kind words. I understand that pricing on high-end items can be very frustrating, but I think it's mostly because smaller companies have to plough so much of their hard-earned cash back into R&D.

I'm really just news reporting here on the site, not reviewing products just yet. I scour the internet for press releases and gossip, and hopefully find stories of interest to the readers. I also go to conventions and tradeshows to try out new HT tech, and write for Home Cinema Choice magazine in the UK (similar to Sound and Vision in the US) too.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into your research. My question is, Do you know of any plans by NAD to release a Master Series Receiver for those of us with space limitations? Axpona 2018 is later this month in Chicago. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Dan

YANG

Screenwriter
Another OIYAR (Only If Yoy Are Rich) series...
NAD and ROTEL are supposedly to be "poor man's audiophile" brands which we were to look for budget buys. As years passes, perhaps it's due to marketing, or the companies got greedy... prices rises...

So much for PMA- poor man's audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks