New Muppet Movie on NBC tonight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Orr, Nov 29, 2002.

1. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Looking forward to this, they're doing a spoof of "It's a Wonderful Life," along with riffs on "Moulon Rouge" and others. The commercials are old style Muppet crazy. Come home early from shopping for this one!

2. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. People are saying this is the best Muppet movie in 18 years. Don't miss it!
    Muppet Central

3. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Sam The Eagle in SM Leather had me in stitches [​IMG]. Frank Oz's Yoda cameo was hilarious (at least Yoda was a puppet again!)
    Also Fozzie as the Grinch was a novel gag.
    Quite a good movie...I couldn't help thinking 'Is a home video far behind', and behold... but, what? Not on DVD?

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yeah, I called thinking it was like Jack where they had the DVDs ready to go. Nada.

I'll ask Bill about a DVD, but something tells me next Christmas....

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I've just got three words: "MEE MEE MEEMEEMEEEMEEMEE!"

And, I nearly died during the part with the lasers. Great to see that the Muppets still have their fastball.

6. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

It wasn't bad. On top of all that it was one of those secret NBC HDTV showings that they do.

Wonder why they keep it a secret?

7. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The entire Moulin Rouge riff had me laughing from beginning to end.. this is probably the best muppets I've seen in years; several of the elements were dead on; including Kermits "invite" insults to celebrities [​IMG]
    If only "The New Muppet Show" (a few years back) could have kept up this kind of satire..

8. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Other terrific gags-

Without Kermit, Doc Hopper's Fried Frog Legs from "The Muppet Movie" becomes a franchise!

Piggie's life without Kermie - she becomes a cat lady who works as a Jamacian phone psychic.

Scooter as a cage-boy dancer in the rave club!

The weird green root beer in Moulin Scrooge!

Piggie screaming about everyone singing different songs at the same time during Moulin Scrooge.

Animal as the little drummer boy, and the Electric Mayhem Band as River Dancers later!

So much stuff crammed into the second half, it's hard to remember them all.

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

It was pretty good. (But I thought the stuff with Whoopi Goldberg was really boreing.) I also hated at the end credits when NBC cut Fozzie off mid-sentence and showed a commercials for a bunch of lame shows I don't care about.

They were singing about how "everyone matters", then they squeeze the credits over to the side like they don't matter after all.

10. Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt Second Unit

Joan Cusack's performance was brilliant as usual. Her "bitch" fight with Piggy at the end was inspired. Eric Jacobson did a wonderful job voicing Piggy and Fozzie, proving that Frank Oz is no longer needed. Other highlights included Miss Piggy's rendition of Santa Baby, and her turn as a "Miss Cleo" wannabe in the alternate reality. Gonzo with his dancing brick Amy!?, and the wackiness of Dr. Honeydew and Beaker had me rolling on the floor. But the best part was Gonzo and Kermit singing a brand new song called "Everyone Matters", as Kermit finally realizes his folly in wishing he hadn't been born. After the saccharine sweetness of the last 3 feature films, Henson has finally found the right balance between laugh-out-loud humor and earnest sentiment. The Muppets are well and truly back!

11. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

That's exactly the way I feel. For the first time since Henson's death, the Muppets have finally risen back up to their former high standards. Of course, it would've been perfect if Whoopie hadn't been in it. But don't get me started on her!

I laughed uncontrollably when I saw Sam the Eagle waving his glowsticks around rave-style. That had to have been the single funniest moment.

12. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Personally, I loved the Jumbo Shrimp guy. Was that the voice of Batmanuel from the live Tick show? He was a hoot. I am with the "why Whoopie" angle, but feh...she is sort of everywhere. I was really surprised to enjoy David Arquette, who I lost the love of since he couldn't find decent work after the Scream movies. He was delightful. Who is doing Kermit's voice? That used to be Jim Henson, right? This current version was great. The Statler and Waldorf voices were totally wrong, though so I am glad they didn't have as large a role. They used to be my favorite part of the original Muppet Show.

Man. Great show. Hope they do more like it in the future.
    Get that "Muppet Christmas" from a while back out of my system (beyond the "Marley and Marley" bit, it was horrid).

Phil

13. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Brandon, IMDB has Piggy, Fozzy and the Eagle all credit to Frank Oz. FYI...I guess they still need him! [​IMG]
    Phil