New multimedia center

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by George Balzer, Jul 15, 2003.

1. George Balzer

George Balzer Auditioning

I just wanted to throw you guys a link to the latest pic of my multimedia center. It started out as a home theatre project but I have since decided to network our computers and 9 videogame systems. I decided to not post the webpage for fear Geocities would lock up my page for heavy traffic violation. So this is just a pic of the theatre taken 2 weeks ago. It has in fact been painted flat black since this pic.

www.geocities.com/banditbalz/beforepaint.jpg

The basement room is only 9'10" x 32' so I was very restricted in the width. In the pic you can see the 55" Samsung widescreen my wife bought me for xmas. I have a DLP projector and 92" Dalite screen which will drop down in front of the Sammy. If you can believe it, I have not decided as to where the components will be located. Also considering painting the ceiling (stucco) flat black for that theatre look. I have choosen a beatiful commercial plush carpet. It is grey with blue tufts throughout. My wife knows of somebody at work that has a dozen or so antique theatre seats (metal frames, wooden arm rests) that they are willing to part with.

Any comments or suggestions?

edit: to fix above link

2. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Really nice work, but your link didn't work...I had to back into your homepage.

Couple of questions....

Where are the main L/R speakers going?

Are you sure you really want antique theater seats? Yes, they look great, but they usually aren't nearly as comfortable as some of the Home Theater seating you can buy now....

3. George Balzer

George Balzer Auditioning

Thanks Steve. The L/R speakers will be mounted within the proscenium. I have already built the brackets for them. My biggest dilema is where to mount the center channel. I don't like the idea of it sitting center stage.
    I appreciate your views on the theatre seats. In fact, I don't think they will even look that great in this modern looking room.
    The link works for me, but if it doesn't work for others, feel free to visit the page at;

www.geocities.com/banditbalz/theatre

4. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

Nice design! One thing I did with my HT was to box in my RPTV. It gives it a real built-in look. I've had a couple of people who thought I had a plasma. The bottom panel comes off and the TV slides out in case repair is needed. I also raised it up about 8" and mounted my center channel speaker flush (tilted up) beneath it. Although acoustically not the ideal location, the sound is quite good.

5. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

As for the position for the center maybe you could cut out a section just big enough for the center speaker to go in right in the front of the stage. Depending on what color carpet you use maybe black with a screen on the speaker you would never see it. You would probably have to do a good calibration to get it to sound right and give it a slight upward tilt.

6. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Well if I would have read JawhnM'S post I wouldn't have posted what I said because it looks like the same idea. Maybe I should read all post before I post. Sorry about that.