What's new

New MST3K...two pack with a re-release? (1 Viewer)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
Now, I'm pleased as punch that Santa Claus Conquers the Martians is coming, but why pack it with Manos, which the fans who've been following the DVD releases will already have?

What gives?

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
"Maybe you should pretend you're talking to someone educated in the Penal system. In fact, don't pretend."

What are you talking about? Is this on mst3k.com?

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news. I also can't fathom why they're packaging it with an episode that's already been released, but they could package SCCTM with a live chicken and I'd buy it. It's a great episode that I haven't seen since it originally ran.

And will they include the "Poopie" extra from the original DVD?

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
It was indeed my automated news update about a series I expressed interest in at tvondvd.com. Thanks Dave!

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
If you look at the most requested episodes, you can see that Rhino has already responded to the poll. I just hope they release more of those most requested ones...

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I'm having mixed feelings about this announcement. I love the Santa Claus episode. But I'm not happy since I already own Manos (any devoted MST3K fan would as its one of the best episodes and worst movies ever). But I'm pleased that they are getting some of the Comedy Central episodes out. I think this may be the first Comedy Central episodes released on DVD that was never on video. In an ideal world, they would have released Santa Claus Conquers the Martians with their other Christmas film, the wonderfully awful Mexican-made Santa Claus.

Perhaps they could appease those who already own Manos by offering a rebate of sorts like Disney does with some of their re-releases.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I'm really disappointed by this. Wouldn't the Mexican "Santa Claus" be a better choice than a DVD that nearly every MST3K fan already owns (i.e. "Manos")?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Ambassador
Real Name
Tony D.
this is the one i've been waiting for.

"sinbad is funny."
"tony danza is an accomplished actor."

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
What I am wondering about this is, will this release of Manos be different in some way from the disk I, and many other fans already have? Will it have the unMiSTed version of Manos as well? Any background stuff that might not have been made available before?

AUGH!!

It would be nice if we could get MST3K the Movie released again on DVD, and not have some numbskull yank it because the Brains [or whoever] decided to give the fans a break on the price. The last check I made on Amazon.com for MST3K the Movie, used, was going for over $100.00. For that much, I want it factory sealed with Mike Nelson's home phone number!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

MST3K: The Movie was release by Image Entertainment through an agreement with Universal. Any other release in the future is 100% up to Universal.

Marcee

Agent
It is a big problem that the rights to all of these wonderful-horrible movies and other issues are getting in the way of season sets or theme sets for this great show! But, I have tapes and DVDs for almost everything, so I can laugh it up with Joel, Mike, the bots, Dr. F and Pearl, TV's Frank and the other oddities whenever I want.

Marcee

Agent
I don't have Manos yet, either, yipee!!! And, I heard about this MST3K release at dapcentral.org, a web site dedicated to the preservation of MST3K. So, even though I have bunches beaucoup of MST3K, I am soooo happy that I'll have two new shiny discs for my collection.
And yes, Santa Claus would have made a much better pairing - but it is cool to get SC Conquers the Martians!
:D

Jeff Kuykendall

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think that maybe the rights to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians were a little bit pricey, and so they included Manos as a way to justify charging the customer a little bit more? This is just a wild half-cocked theory, but I've been thinking about this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

It's quite possible. IIRC, someone purchased the rights to the film in order to try to remake the film (!), and this made getting back the rights for the MST3K episode reportedly difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattpm
Recent bookmarks