New Morpheus Disappoints!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Ever since Kazaa flooded their networks with spyware and booted Morpheus off of them, Morpheus sucks. It's as bad as BearShare[​IMG].

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Yeah, it uses the gnutella network which I never could find anything on. Its just too slow and doesn't have much on it.

3. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

When I downloaded Morpheous, the interface looked IDENTICAL to Kazaa. Is there a difference? I use Kazaa and have no problems finding what I need [​IMG]

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Supposedly kazaa installs some major spyware and adware stuff all over your PC. Morpheus did not. That was the major difference between the 2.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Hello?
    People always wig out about spyware, and I suppose it is justified, but if they don't have real info, such as my real email, name, address, then what harm can it do? So I fill up a database w/ [email protected] and 123 DontAskMeThis street, I don't care how much they track that. You can be tracked what you look at via IP address anyway. Unless you spoof that, and your MAC address it is fairly difficult to browse invisibly.
    Aside from the new database of wm7, Don't forget its proprietary formats like asf, asx and wmv. Those formats really kill out other OS participation and strengthen the MS hold. If you have a problem w/ spyware, I can understand that, but there is more at work than that while the MS juggernaut rolls on through.
    Lastly, the Gnuetella network was never really designed to go live. The guys that wrote it, only got to a very early version of the protocol and then it was released. Remember that was when Napster was all the rage, and it was being threatened so people looked for another way. Decentralized file sharing is slow as can be, but will always be around because it is quite difficult to block a service that can go on any port anywhere. Its just a trade off I suppose.
    Jon

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yes, I changed the title of the thread because we are don't allow "...sucks!" as an acceptable topic title here.
    And I'm pretty disappointed with the new Morpheus (seeing all the stuff that's out there and then getting the dreaded "Unable to connect" status is becoming a total drag.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

No problem, Patrick. And I still haven't been able to download anything... every connection is "Retry in 27...26..." etc.

8. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I'm mixed on the subject, I really miss the old Morpheous's interface but there are some things about the new Morpheous I like. For the most part though the old Morpheous was better.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The new Morpheus is awful. I've read that it's identical to a program called Gnucleus. I've also read that the Gnutella system was just an idea and not fully thought out before it was hastily implemented when Napster got into trouble. Funny how the MusicCity web site still had old propaganda about the virtues of Streamcast over Gnutella after they switched to Gnutella.

I've been using Kazaa. I used Ad-aware to eliminate Cydoor and replaced it with the castrated DLL I downloaded somewhere. Not only is the spyware gone, but so are the ads.

When Morpheus first went down, things were pretty lame on Kazaa, not many files to be found, plus it kept disconnecting and reconnecting. But it seems to stay connected and be much busier lately.

Kazaa has just released version 1.5.1 and it keeps asking me if I want to download it and install it. I'm answering No until I can find out what's different about it. I don't want anything even more diabolical than Kazaa already is.