What's new

NEW! Monitor Audio FB 212 subwoofer. (1 Viewer)

Randy G

Second Unit
I just checked their website(monitoraudio.com) and it appears they've come out with what looks to be a very impressive sub. Has anybody heard this bad boy yet? The adjustable Q looks like a pretty nice feature. Price is $2K though...

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Very impressive set of specs. This type of design is going to be costly to produce. I didnt see a suggested retail?
Would love to see Tom N, the sub human, get ahold of one of these and provide Tom data!
If they did it right, (and Monitior can) ~ this could make many an audiophile happy. Q- on the fly, small footprint, nice TL-iso design, and at 110lbs probley well built. They stout some serious SPL there, though they might be pushing it. (116db at 19hz) if I read it correctly, just woke up! Thats would be very very impressive.. It's speculation on my part, but dont see it. Still would like to hear others opinons,~ along with those that might have actually listened to this new rig.
Also, what kind of CHANGE-$ they talking? A whole bunch of it, if I was to take a guess!
Edit- I told you, not awake yet. Come on coffee maker!!! About 2K in your face, last line. Jezzhesh..
And after another look at the site, (106db at 25hz).. Ok, time to leave things alone, seems im awake but NOT FUNCTIONING WELL..! :)
Geoff
[Edited last by Geoff L on October 05, 2001 at 06:59 AM]

Randy G

Second Unit
Yeah, $2K is big bucks, but I can get 25% off. Sure would be nice if Nousaine can check this baby out...looks to be potentially impressive. It's almost the exact same size as the ACI Titan II LE, but 50% heavier, and almost twice the price. Wonder how it compares..

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The design is alot like Linn's [A V 5150],but that sub costs over $4k,that sub enjoys a mass of critical endorsments.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
They look cute, but I'd estimate an SVS Ultra would smack 'em around pretty good for less money.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

Randy G

Second Unit
Jack,
Ya think a SINGLE Ultra package would slap it around? Hmmmm...With a decent discount on the Monitor Audio, the price would probably be close to the same. That adjustable Q control is pretty neat though..
And as for appearance, it's apples and oranges.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I dont see it being a serious threat to the top of TN's list at all.
the Q is nice,and it looks good. But forget about it walking with the badboyz in the first octave.
TV

Randy G

Second Unit
Tom,
Bias aside :^), how do you think it's performance would stack up to a single Ultra? And do you recall what some of those first octave badboys were? And were they single subs or dual? Thanks

Randy G

Second Unit
So much information..so few braincells to absorb.
I'll have to read up just a bit more on the Isobarik design, but I'd have to agree on the rather small motors and enclosure volume.
And yes, I'd love to see some quoted specs as well, other than the 106db at 25hz.
MUCH appreciated,
Randy

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
the 106db at 25hz spec, how is that measured? And can I do this measurement at home on my own Diy sub just to see how it would compare.

Randy G

Second Unit
Yeah, all ya need is a test disc that outputs low-level frequencies and a Radio Shack sound level meter. You will need to check out the compensation tables to make up for the meter's low-level inaccuracies though. The only other problem is finding a way to measure the distortion.
Also, the Monitor Audio website gives no indication of room size. It'd be pretty easy to reach those types of volumes if the sub is placed in a bathroom. :^)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Comparing woofage via objective data is valuable...but unless the methods use for the testing are nearly identical(or the differences can be easily and accurately compensated for)...it may end up being an exercise in futility. The value of the TN data lies in the fact that so many woofs have been reviewed now.
Regarding the 25hz/106 spec on the MA site...
1)where was the sub?(room,GP,anechoic)
2)if *in room*...where?(corner?)how large of a room?
3)what input signal was used?
4)what distance was the mic recording the SPL away from the sub?(TN uses a 2m distance)
5)what was the THD levels at this output?
Unless you know this, you might not be able to make accurate comparisons to other woofs,
TV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks