What's new

New Model RPTV (1 Viewer)

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
How do I find out when the new models will be released? My hitachi was returned this past saturday and I think I am suffering from depression. However I thought I would wait for the new models to arrive before I made another purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the manufacturer, Darrin. But, generally, the new models are paraded out at the Chicago CES in late summer, and wend their way to the dealerships in the fall and early winter. Generally.

Why, may I ask, are you depressed?

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
Jack
I purchased the 53uwx. I wasnt satisfied with NTSC but it wasnt so bad that I was going to return it. Then after considering the implications of DVI/HDCP, I decided to send it back. I didnt think it was going to be a big deal. All I have to do is wait till this fall. Well I was wrong, I WANT MY WIDESCREEN DAMN IT!
And besides that, it was my wifes idea to buy the tv.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
What are the odds of that happening again. She doesnt even watch TV.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I hate to break this to you Jack, but there hasn't been a summer CES for 6 or so years now!

Panasonic made their 2002 lineup known to dealers last week, with most of the new TV products scheduled for June and beyond. Toshiba makes their intros in July, with availability in the September to Novemeber timeframe.

There wasn't much info on the new Panasonic's though. They are changing the bezel from black to silver on the widescreen models and adding a 53" widescreen.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Sony has announced their next series of widescreens will be dvi/hdcp compliant, should come out in Sept/oct.

I swapped a 53UWX10B for the current Sony KP57HW40, couldn't be happier. I'll worry about the dvi mess when/if it happens. Meantime I'm enjoying great hd and dvd.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Darrin, you probably won't see the models appear on the Panasonic web site for a few months yet. Probably just after they hit the stores. As far as I know, they're still cranking out the current models as fast as they can (got a few sets with a March build date on March 8th!)

IIRC, the PT-47WX52 is scheduled for June availabilty and the PT-53 for July.

RussellC

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have any info on the differences in the PT-47WX49 and the PT-47WX52? Thanks,

-Russell

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Aside from the bezel colour, there was precious little info. If you look at the press release for the updated direct-view sets (http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...=12&cont_id=63), you may get an idea, but I really don't know if the electronics in the direct-view sets is equivalent to that in the projection sets.
Read the description of the line doubler. Sure sounds like DCDi to me! And there's precedence too as Panasonic has been using the Sage DCDi chip in their RP56 DVD player without specifically stating it. This is purely speculation on my part though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks