What's new

New Mitsubishi Stretch Modes? (1 Viewer)

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
I am finishing a basement and am trying to decide on a RPTV. I really like the WS-55411 because it works well for custom "built-in" installations which I plan to do. I also like the fact that it handles native 480p without upconversion (this is a negative against Toshiba and Hitachi in my opinion).

The only drawback is that I will be watching a lot of 4:3 material, so a good stretch mode is also very important. I have heard that the Pioneer and Toshibas are the best and that the Mitsubishi stretch modes are not good.

Are the stretch modes any better with the 2003 Mitsubishi models? This is the only hang up that is keeping this from being the perfect TV for me.

Any comments or other recommendations?

Thanks

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, I just had the 55411 delivered yesterday. I too watch alot of 4:3 tv. I think the stretch modes look pretty good. There is more than one that you can choose from. I like the tv so far. DVD's look great, the digital cable channels look really good. The regular cable channels are a little rough looking, but thats not the tv's fault. I don't have HD service yet through my cable but that should be outstanding when I get it. The only thing I don't like so far about the tv is that the picture seems a little grainy, maybe I need to tweak some settings. overall I would recommend it. Back to your question I would not be afaid of the Mits stretch modes.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I concur with Jim. The modes on the new Mitsubishi's are pretty good and offer minimal distraction, once you figure out how to use them. While shopping, I looked at the 4:3 stretch modes of each set, and the only set that was a tad bit better was the Toshiba, and that's just from looking on the sales floor. Personally, I like my set's "Stretch" mode, as it is very undetectable unless you are watching a ticker tape along the bottom or have a bunch of people in a screen shot and can see some of the distortion. On the other hand, the Hitachi's that I saw was straight up horrible. The stretch was just obvious and not attractive. Could be improved as of late, but I don't know.

Jim,
As far as grain, give it a while. I noticed that, too, the first few weeks. It will be a month on Tuesday and I'm now seeing a much smoother presentation, although the cable still sucks. However, today I ran cable from my bedroom to the living room just to see if it was any better (per the wife's request) and the difference is stunning. I'm not talking high def or anything, but the artifacts, bad audio, and grain were reduced greatly. It was like a different TV. I totally subscribe to "garbage in, garbage out" as of today! Sooooo ... you may want to see what you can do about your cable. Supposedly, if you nag enough the cable repairmen will check your lines and even replace them to get at a signal strength problem. Who knows? Couldn't hurt!

Matt

Brent_N

Stunt Coordinator
I know I have read may posts that the stretch modes are not good compared to the Toshibas. So, have the stretch modes been improved on the 2003 models such that they are now on par with the Toshibas?

Is there a stretch mode on the Mitsubishi that leaves the center basically untouched and progressively stretches closer to the right and left edge?

Good stretch modes are the main consideration in my RPTV purchase. I would lean towards the Toshiba 57HDX82, but I am concerned about detail loss from upconversion to 540p, as well as the ghosting issue and the reported speaker hiss.

Thanks

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Brent,
That stretch that you described is exactly what "Stretch" mode does. The Standard mode is for enhanced widescreen, although you could use it for anything you choose. It would be my second choice for non-enhanced letterbox. The Zoom mode is just plain useless unless you totally non-OAR and have to blow up a 2.35 signal. The Expand mode is actually the best choice for watching non-enhanced letterbox, IMHO. Stretch can also be used in that situation, depending on the program, and is actually not that bad.

My wife HATES the stretching and was highly disappointed that I got a widescreen only for that reason, as we both like movies (and in WS). However, after watching in Stretch mode for a day or two, she's totally used to it. The better the signal (as mentioned above) , the more she likes it. SAF is huge for me, and this stretch mode achieved it, if that helps you any. If you were close enough, I'd say come on over!!! DO find somewhere that will let you check the Mitsbushi out in person to see for yourself. I can't recommend that enough. I had to before I bought my set for my sanity!!

Matt

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, Thanks for the tip on the grainy picture issue, I have heard after it breaks in the picture gets better, I thought that may be BS though. I am glad someone who actually owns one can tell me the same thing now! It is not to bad, some channels are worse that others. The cable lines are pretty new in my house so I don't think they are bad. I am thinking of putting in a signal booster or amplifier. Do you know anything about that?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hey Jim!!
Gotta love that TV, huh! I like mine more and more everyday.
No, SERIOUSLY, the picture was way grainy for the first week or two, then it settled down. The different cable line made a huge difference after that, as well. I'd recommend running some coax just on the floor from another room and plugging it up, just for shits and giggles, to see if it makes a difference. I would not be adverse to trying an in-line amp. The thought had crossed my mind, too, but since the second run of cable looks better, I didn't go any further with it. If you try it out, let me know how it does!

Matt

John Beavers

Second Unit
This gives me hope :) I'm planning on getting the WS-55571 next month, if I can sell my wife on the stretch mode of this set. Wish me luck.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hey John! I'm rooting for ya', man! Alot of the problem for us, initially, is that we had to get used to the size of the set. We are in an apartment, and are watching from about 8 feet or so back, so it took several days for our eyes to adjust to that by itself. After that, and me hooking up the "good" cable, she has been a happy camper.
When I was shopping for tv's months ago, not being too serious about purchasing right away, I still made her look at tons of tv's to see what she liked. It came down to the Sony WS's and the Mitsubishi's. She asked me if I could put the Sony's picture in the nice black cabinet of the Mitsubishi, but told her sadly, no. After comparing in different stores, though, she ended up telling me that she liked the the Sony, Mitsubishi, and Toshiba models. At that point, she left it up to me, but said that the Hitachi was "out" and to not even think about it. We had looked seroiusly at Hitachi and put it through it's paces at Sears. Although the picture was very good, the stretch modes were horrible, in our opinion. When they stretch the sides to fill, they really mean it!! On the Mitsubishi, it so gradual that unless you have a sports/news ticker running across the bottom, you'd be hard-pressed to notice. They really did a great job with it and it helped cement "the deal" for me with the boss ;) Now, I can barely get her to stop watching CSI, etc., long enough for me and the kids to watch any DVD's!! LOL!! If you have kids, John, or just like family films, you MUST pop in the widescreen version of Monsters, Inc. and watch both of your jaws drop to the ground. That and Toy Story 2 are phenomenal to show off the quality of an HD set, barring the availability of D-VHS or HDTV programming. Blade 2 is equally good, as are other films, for sure. It will make you want to watch your whole collection over again!!! Now even the wife asks when we are going to buy this movie or that movie, and we no longer feel any remorse for missing a film in the theaters. ( I used to read that and think it was SOOOO cliche', but I'm actually of that mind now. ) Now if we were talking Star Wars or The Matrix or something, I'll be at the Cinema, but otherwise it's either a rental or purchase for us (happily) from now on!! Let us know what she thinks, John : )
Matt
PS- Just remember that when trying to demo her on the stretch modes, garbage in equals garbage out. You don't want her to think the TV is faulty or crappy, so be careful!! Also, I recommend steering her away from her favorites during the demo, so she's less likely to notice every little detail that is different(stretched).

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to hear about the stretch modes on the 55411. I ordered one a few weeks ago and it's getting delivered the first weekend in November (when the theater room's done). Like a dummy, I didn't even worry about the stretch modes for non-widescreen viewing. I was so impressed with the sets picture on DVD's and the store's HD feed.

I'm new to this whole HT thing, coming from the darkside of audiophilia 2-ch so I'll likely have loads of questions once I get everything going.

How far back do most of you sit when viewing this set? My room will be relatively small, 15Lx13Wx8H, and seating will be limited to a 3-seat couch and one chair.

Also, is anyone using the TV for their video-switching as opposed to their receiver/preamp?

My equip list will be as follows:
Mitsubishi WS-55411 HDTV
Rotel RSP-1066 Preamp/Processor
Rotel RMB-1075 Power Amp
Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
Panasonic DVD-RP32S DVD Player
Vienna Acoustics Mozart (Front)
Vienna Acoustics Maestro (Center)
Vienna Acoustics Haydn (Surround)
Velodyne CT-120 Sub

Cheers!
Bill

ArnaudP

Stunt Coordinator
I got a WS48311 two weeks ago and I think the strech mode looks fine. However, I think I use the standard mode most of the time.
The user manual recommends using strech mode when watching 4x3 programs. I think it depends on your taste.
My TV is also a little grainy and the dark areas of the picture don't look great even after using S&V disk setup.

John Beavers

Second Unit
Just remember that when trying to demo her on the stretch modes, garbage in equals garbage out
Matt,

The place I'm going to has a Hi-Def loop running on all their floor models. Hopefully they've got some 4:3 material too, that's decent to demonstrate the stretch. Though at this point it's really going to be an uphill battle. She's seen Sony's new 40" direct view XBR800, and has fallen in love with the looks of the set, though she doesn't like the stand that comes with it.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I wish you luck, John!! Worst comes to worst, you can do what I did - pout, but do it so she thinks you are trying to make her happy, so she feels guilty enough to consider your set and then PUT THAT BABY THROUGH ITS PACES for her!!!

One last thing, and I don't know if this is applicable to you or not, but the Wega are absolutely freaking heavy!!! I had to move a 27" into my mother in law's a few months back and it easily outweighed my 32" Trinitron. I couldn't imagine moving a 40" XBR version, either by myself or with a little help. The Mitsubishi has wheels and rolls rather nicely. It rolled on our carpet and before that a short distance on a sidewalk (with cracks) with next to no problems. I was easily impressed. It's great that everytime I've needed to fiddle behind the set, I can just roll it out, and then roll it back. Almost a purchase worthy feature for me, since I'm a retail manager and move every few years or so. Just my .02

Matt

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, Could you check something on your tv for me? Is there anyway to fill the whole screen on 2:35 DVD's? I tried one tonight and could not get it to zoom or expand to fill the screen. I know we should watch movies in their OAR but I don't want to risk any burn in. I know the chances of burn in are slim but I would like the option to expand the image if I can. Thanks for your help!

John Beavers

Second Unit
but the Wega are absolutely freaking heavy!!!
Ugly son's of cusses too when you see them on the show room floor. She had been pineing over a picuture of one on the internet that failed to show the back end. Needless to say that's no longer an option. So, it looks like the 55711 is a done deal. I sold my 61XBR300 yesterday, so I'll be without a TV for a month (HT withdrawals already starting); ah well, absence makes the heart grow fonder right :)

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
John,
Right on!!! Hunks of glorified plastic. I think they are fine for secondary rooms, but I'm all about RPTV's now :)
Jim,
The last time I checked, "Zoom" mode was as close as you can get. Honestly, though, I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you watch 1.85 films and 1.66 and some 4:3, and have your settings proper, you shouldn't have to worry about burn in nearly as much as a network logo. My wife watches enough stretched 4:3 to help smooth out any problems I might have with uneven wear.
I generally only use "Expand" and that's for non-anamorphic widescreen DVD's and for widescreen VHS (i.e., original Star Wars Trilogy boxed set I have - non SE). ZOOM, to me is just WAY grainy and blemish-filled and it just ruins the composition of shots too much for me. I just don't use it all all. What I haven't tried, however, is a combination of zoom on the tv with zoom on my DVD player - that may be a more viable, fine tuned solution. YMMV, but I think you are safe ;)
Matt

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Matt, I just wasn't sure if there was a way to completely remove the black bars.

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Well it appears after I have tried a coulple of DVD's, that anamorphic or enhanced 2:35 can be zoomed to fill the screen and that non anamorphic 2:35 can be expanded to make the black bars smaller, not removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks