What's new

New Mitsubishi RPTV doesn't do 720p. Will this be a problem? (1 Viewer)

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Ive been reading through the manual it it specifically states that the TV doesn't do 720p. Im wondering if this will be a problem with either DVD's or Video Games. Ill be using the DVI hookup.

Ive got another question maybe someone can answer. How do you know which resolution your DVD's are outputting i.e. 480p, or 1080i. Do they just output at the highest setting your TV can handle?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is the place to post about display-related issues, Alex.

Your RPTV, when mated with a high-def tuner/decoder, will accept 720p signals but convert them for display at 1080i.

All DVDs have the same theoretical limit of 480 lines of visible resolution. No more can be added. With the Mitsu, you have the option of displaying them at 480p (best) or at 1080i. The DVD doesn't magically gain another 600 lines of resolution; the RPTV merely throws more lines at a 480-line source, for better or worse.

Best to go with 480p.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
My bad, sorry about posting in the wrong thread. I was under the belief that 1080i was a higher quality than 480p. If Im able to get the highest possible quality, why not go for it? Will it degrade the quality?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes. By throwing 1080 lines at a 480-line native image you run the risk of smearing and softening the image (again, you can't add to what's not there in the first place). Best, then, to opt for 480p with DVD sources. With true high-def material, then, obviously, 1080i is your only option.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
So if all DVD's are to be played at 480p then what is the point of the 1080i for DVI I hear most people talking about.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Alex, "DVI" is an abbreviation of "digital video interface." That's a digital means of delivering a high-def signal from an HD decoder or other high-def digital video source (D-VHS D-Theater, for example). It appears to be on its way to becoming a standard. JB

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Im with that part but I thought one of the main benefits was being able to get the maximum resolution possible, ie 1080i, and not lose signal quality. I understand the same thinking would go for 480p as well but if you have the option to get the highest resolution, why not take it.

I also have a question about upconversion maybe someone can answer. If this set will upconvert from 720p to 1080i, will that degrade the signal quality? I would think so but Ive been reading around and some people think otherwise.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Because, as I said, there is no resolution beyond 480 lines for DVD. Simply adding more scanning lines while displaying a DVD won't necessarily improve the picture and might even degrade it. Many of those extra scanning lines will simply reproduce information native to a 480p image, resulting in the smearing and softness I mentioned. I've seen it happen.

Believe me, DVD as a 480p source is best displayed as 480p on a monitor that can do it and 1080i.

"Upconverting" 720p to 1080i is something of a misnomer; many prefer a 720p image to 1080i, due to a preference for progressive-scan images (theoretically, the best way to go). But only a few sets are capable of displaying 720p natively. Some sets convert 720p to 1080i better than others.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Thanks for the help chief. When I get my new HD931 in and my DVI cable Ill let you know how it all turned out.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
Thank god for that. Im sure Ill screw something up and need some help. Its nice to know that I have a place to turn with good people for help. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks