What's new

New Mintek Portable 5830 (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've noticed a new Portable DVD from Mintek that 5.8" with a 16:9 aspect screen and is only $249 at best buy I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, or it's larger 7" Brother

Andy Kramer

Agent
Dave,

I recently went through the stages of buying a portable DVD player and I first went to the Mintek Player because it was so cheap. Unfortunatly after spending my time reseaching it and comparing it to other models i quickly shyed away from it. The 1st reason being that when you start to play a movie i noticed a very good deal of vibration when the disc was spinning (more then the other models). To me that was bad. Also the screen resolution (5.8) was very grainy and rought looking. Granted this was being compared to the Toshiba Portable DVD which was 8.9 inches, progressive scan active matrix disply. But for an LCD monitor it wasnt to good. The sound was also low in quality but was'nt anything to bad. Unfortunatly at the time the 7 inch was not avaliable, so i have no experience with it. But being it is made by the same company the parts will probably be the same in either player.

All said and done, the 5.8 Mintek is exactly what you pay for. Lower the price lower the quality unfortunatly. But if you are just looking for a budget type system and are'nt very picky when it comes to picture and sound, then the Mintek 5.8 could be a good buy. I would suggest buying the performance plan just in case, if you do decide to go with this model.

Andy

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I sell these exact units and I can tell you we've had an extremely high return rate on these. No specific problem exists with all of them. Issues range from bad spin motors to a bad power supply to no back-light on the LCD. Obviously they're extremely cheap in their construction. My advice? By the Mintek w/ Best Buy's $75 4-year plan and you'll still be WAY ahead on money versus the next highest model.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks