What's new

New mini iPod in the mail, New 4G iPod on Newsweek cover (1 Viewer)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
I meant that the 1st-3rd gen Ipods needed the dock to use USB 2.0, and the unit itself only had a firewire out. Anyways, you are able to hook up the mini directly to the USB 2.0 port on a PC with the included cable without using a dock.

I'm hoping that the new Ipods work the same way.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Seeing as how the new 20 GB iPod comes with a USB 2.0 cable and without a dock, I would hope that you could connect the cable directly. :)

chris_clem

Second Unit

I don't know how apple handles the release of their ipods but is there a precedent for them releasing a new model in the lineup after the initial batch has been released? Or should I just assume that 4G has two models and that they'll just wait for 5G to bump up the capacity? I really want one in the very near future but I would be totally pissed if the 60GB version gets announced shortly after I purchase the 40GB one...:frowning:

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Oh, come on. He says "in regard to announcing." Clearly they will have other models in the future. Most likely by Oct/Nov when they announce new mini iPods for Christmas is my guess.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
You're not quite correct Peter, only the first and second gen iPods need an adapter cable for USB 2.0 The third and now fourth have the new dock connector on the bottom, which will support either a FireWire or USB connection. What IS new to the fourth gen (and the iPod Mini) is the ability to charge the iPod via USB, the first through third gen had to be plugged into the wall if you synced via USB, they could only charge over FW.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know when the 4th gen iPods will be in stock at local (Apple) stores? I need one urgently as I just gave away my beloved 2nd generation iPod.

I was planning on holding out for the 60GB version, but 40GB it is -- can't live without one for any length of time.

Ted

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Joseph:

How do you like your Mini? I have a Mini and a G3, and I'm probably going to give the Mini to a family member because the G3 has proved to work great while running (I bought the Mini thinking it would be better for exercise).

Also, I prefer the touch-wheel to the click-wheel.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The new iPods are now out: I just got a 40GB from the Apple Store in Soho. Big line at the registers, iPods seem to be a popular item ;)

Ted

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

I haven't had much time to play around with mine, but I did spend some time loading one up for a gift to a USB/firewire-less relative with their music. The reason for the mini is the same as yours. On the other hand, I already own a 20GB 2G edition that isn't all that suitable for running compared to your 3G. I'll wait for a 4G/5G 60GB+ before upgrading my 2G 20GB.

The choice was buy a 40GB 4G, 20GB 4G, or keep the mini I ordered. The mini is the best deal for me for the intended use. Why risk damaging a 40GB 4G when I didn't have to? Plus the mini is so light and small that I won't even notice it.

I'm not sure which wheel I like. So far I've owned a 1G, 2G, and now a mini with three different "wheels." They all seem to work the same for me but even the 20GB has too much info to scroll through efficiently and find something I hadn't thought of listening too. Unless I know what I want, I'm probably going to zoom right by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks