What's new

New mini iPod in the mail, New 4G iPod on Newsweek cover (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
Is that really a 4G ipod on the cover? (I can't tell 'em apart!) I'm currently awaiting it's arrival and have heard nothing official about it on the web (the closest thing being the news of apple *possibly* buying new 60GB ipod HDs from Toshiba....). Do you have the Newsweek issue with you already? Details please.... :b

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Nice, but I'll stick with my 1st generation iPod for a while.

It's "only" 5GBs, but even with 192kbps (or higher) bitrate - it still get 600-700 songs on there.
That's still alot of songs.

It's good to know that if/when my iPod dies, I can purchase a replacement that has a smaller footprint, 8x the HD space, 2 hours more battery life and more features.

With the exception of Sony's ridiculous digital player (doesn't support MP3s... get a clue!!) the bar keeps getting raised by many manufacturers.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Hmmm.... anyone else have good links to more technical info on the new 4g ipods? The article says they roll out this week and yet it seems to be a surprise to most people! I didn't even read anything concrete about it before this article (and that says a lot since I've been scouring the web for ipod info the past few weeks since I really want to get one soon!)

Also, 40Gigs for the top model!??!?!:angry: The reason I wanted a 4G ipod was because 40GB is too "small" for me. I want/need at least 60GB to be totally satisfied.... :frowning: Maybe I should take a look at Creative's 60GB zen xtra?

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
They're now listed on Apple's website. No mention of a 60gb yet. The new models are a little slimmer, have better battery life, and have the same scroll wheel as the iPod Mini (trust me, it's good).

I'm happy with my iPod Mini. It's only 4GB, and my music library is much larger than that, but 4Gb of music gets me through the week just fine.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I wonder why Apple is not able to do firmware updates between Ipod generations. There are some pretty nifty new features on the 4th gen Ipod that I would really like, such as multiple playlists on the go, extra battery life and the Audiobook feature. Either way, I've had mine for over a year and a half, and I guess that I have upgraded my MP3 player with less consistency then I have upgraded my Speakers and Amps, which are considerably heavier:D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I think the switch to the "clicking wheel" for the 4G iPod is a mistake. Having both a 3GB and a Mini, I much prefer the smooth, non-mechanical interface of the 3G.

Julio H

Agent

I'd be perfectly happy with a 3Gen. model if I had one. From what I can see, the differences are minimal(same sound, HDisk space, etc.) And the 3G actually looks a little nicer, I think.

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Is a USB 2.0 port built into the 4GB Ipod like it is on the Ipod mini? None of my PCs have a firewire port or card.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

The 40 GB model is cheaper.

The 20 GB one lost the bundled dock and remote. Buy them separately, and you'll spend most of that $100.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

The iPod Minis do not have built-in USB 2.0 ports. They support USB 2.0 via adapter cables.

The 4G iPods have a similar arrangement. The Apple site says that all of the current iPods (Mini, 20 GB, 40 GB) include USB 2.0 and FireWire cables.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

For that matter, the specs say the remote is optional on the 40 GB model.

Did the 3G ones come with carrying cases?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, when I bought my 40g 3g several months ago, it shipped with a firewire cable only, and I had to buy the USB cable separately. Kind of annoying actually.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks