What's new

New Mid-priced Receiver (1 Viewer)

Fuzzylogik

Auditioning
Real Name
Clint
I am a long-time Onkyo receiver owner and am in the market for a new receiver. I've been looking at the Onkyo TXSR706 and TXSR806 for the last few weeks and am having a difficult time getting a good review that compares and contrasts the two. Obviously the 806 has more watts/channel, an extra HDMI, and is certified for a larger THX room but that seems the main difference between the two. Is anyone else familiar enough with the two receivers to note any other notable differences? I've also got a Wii and there is inconsistent feedback re: problems with the Component hook-ups. Anyone have any first-hand experience with your Wii and one of these receivers?

Further complicating things, I like to think of myself as open-minded and would entertain a recommendation for a similar receiver from Pioneer, Yamaha, HK, Denon, etc. in place of an Onkyo. I would prefer at least four HDMI's but THX certification is not particularly necessary (nice but not necessary). I would also like to be able to utilize two zones (for music outside). I like idea of being able to Up-convert video (although the feedback seems to be that the Onkyo's aren't exactly doing a bang-up job in this department).

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Fuzzylogik

Cpt.America

Agent
Real Name
Brandon
In the spirit of recommending something different, take a look at the new line of Elite AVRs from Pioneer. From my research, they seem to be better performers, less problematic, run cooler, have larger feature sets and are FAR more attractive. See if you can fit the Elite SC-05 into your budget! One hell of an AVR. I myself own the VHX-01... love it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you want an Onkyo in that price range, I'd suggest to strongly consider the recently discontinued(?) old 805 instead because it seems to offer a more beefy amp section than the new model (and will cost you less). Do a search for it, and you'll find plenty of info/comments about it, including a highly favorable review from Reviews - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (and they also recently reviewed the 806 as well).

_Man_

Fuzzylogik

Auditioning
Real Name
Clint

Thanks for the recommendation, Cap. Yeah, the SC-05 is WAY over budget but the VHX-01 is more in line with what I'm willing to spend. I'm having a really difficult time tracking down a review for the receiver, though. Why do you feel that it outperforms the Onkyos?

Fuzzylogik

Auditioning
Real Name
Clint

Hi Man. I looked at the 805 but it seems to have some substantial heat problems, which appears to have been somewhat mitigated in this year's model. I definitely prefer the THD of the 805 vs the 806 (who the hell LOOSENS quality in a newer model?!?!). Do you have the 805? If so, what has your experience been with it?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I don't have it, but seriously considered getting it when I was in the market for an affordable prepro (w/ the amp section for backup) to pair up w/ my old B&K amp. I ended up getting the Yamaha 663 instead in part because it was a lot less expensive for similar quality prepro section (though w/ only 2 HDMI inputs) -- and the beefier Onkyo 805 amp section would probably be wasted for my purposes.

The main reason to consider the 805 instead of the 806 should probably not be that small diff in THD spec, but the beefier amp section, which is also probably why it runs on the hot side. If you really think you won't need the higher current output, *then* it'd make sense to consider the 806 (or 706) instead. You'll want the beefier amp section if you have a big room and want to play it (reference level) loud and/or have relatively difficult or inefficient speakers to drive -- most truly high quality speakers tend to be that way.

_Man_

Fuzzylogik

Auditioning
Real Name
Clint
Yeah, I looked at that article you sent and now I'm feeling kinda cold on this year's set of receivers, especially with that dinky cooling system in the 806!

Al_S

Second Unit
I purchased the Onkyo TX-SR706 recently and really like it so far. I had no problems running the setup once I figured things out. I ran it for a couple of hours watching some DVDs and then went over to it to feel how hot the top was and it wasn't hot at all. It was warm but I could put my hand on it with no problems. So far I'm happy with my purchase.

stickb5

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Reyes
you should take a look at the Denon's AVR 789 and 889 and see if like them, myself i own an Avr 889 and i m really happy with it.

Fuzzylogik

Auditioning
Real Name
Clint
Thank you both for your recommendations. I'm glad that the 706 works good in the "field" and I'll look into the Denons as well.

Frank_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a similarly priced receiver. I am close to getting the 706, but what is scaring me off is reports of issues with video switching and upscaling.

I'll be sending my Directv HDDVR through it, as well as a Blu-Ray player to come, an XBOX360 and a Wii.

My current Sony TV is only 1080i, and right now I have the HD DVR goin through the one HDMI input and the 360 through component, as well as my current DVD player (I'm not home so I don't remember model #s).

Just want to make sure that I won't be losing picture quality on the HD DVR or 360 with this move... or else why would I do it?

My current receiver is a Marantz which is at least 8 years old. It's served me well but needs to be retired.

Appreciate any input.

marcIs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
marc turcotte
i have owned the onkyo txsr876 for two mths now. At first I was not happy with this, now the 876 does have a diff pros then the 806 for upconverting, but it does upconvert better then my tv. I have the kdl46w3000. This amp has plenty of power to push my speakers with clean sound. the menu is a pain in the ass to go through though. there is about $500 diff between the two, but look what you get. two hdmi ouys. hqv pross 140 watts better remote all bck lite. and it gets hot but not much hotter then my old denon. go for the 876 you wont be disapponited, just remembre give it a brack in per and read the man at least three times.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even though th SC-05 is out of budget there are other Pioneer Elites in everyone's price range for those leary of Onkyo. The Yamaha 863 is another option but it came up a bit short of it's power rating on HT Magazines bench test. Marc, I hope you got that thing working right. I'd hate to see you less than satisfied with it.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
A couple of really good receiver buys right now are the Yamaha RX-V1800 and the Denon 988. With the 1800, you get 4 HDMI inputs, while the 988 offers only two. Before you buy the Yamaha 863, physically compare it to the 1800. I did and the 863 seems like a toy compared to the 1800, which weighs 37 pounds. I got the 1800 a month or so ago, and I have it in a rack and it doesn't get too hot, no hotter than my Sony DA4ES it replaced.

Also, if you are an audio buff at all, both the 1800 and the 988 will support SACD over HDMI, and the 1800 will decode DSD. I think the Denon will as well.

Amazon has amazing price on the 988 right now, if you can live with 2 HDMI inputs. I am considering a 988 right now for another system in the back room.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I believe *most* of the Yamaha's will decode DSD, except maybe the ones *below* the 663. I haven't tried it w/ my 663 (since I don't have such an SACD player), but it does claim to decode it via HDMI.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks