What's new

New Mexico Vacation (1 Viewer)

Richard Huck

Agent
Hello everbody well spring break is just around the corner and my son Keith(18) are going on our last spring fling together before he has to join the cruel world. Well going south to the land of Enchantment,would love to hear your suggestions for people,places,and things to do. We will try just about anything so don't be to shy.Wow we have been doning this for the last 10 years,been to some beautiful parts of the country,can't wait to see much more. Thanks for all your suggestions. Rich

SteveA

Supporting Actor
If you go, only drink bottled water. And avoid eye contact with the kids selling Chiclets on the street or they'll never leave you alone.

Also, it's a good idea to bring a passport to expedite your return trip across the border.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I guess somebody missed the "New" in the thread title :D !
My favorite memory of my drive from Atlanta to LA was the stretch of I-40 between Albequerque and the Arizona border at daybreak...WOW! I'd go see the Trinity Site at Los Alamos (I'm an A-Bomb freak), and maybe Carlsbad if you have the time to get down that way. A short jaunt away is Sedona, AZ; some really pretty canyons (and challenging roads) to see.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I think Albequerque is one of the most beautiful towns in the West. In fact, the mesa country in the northern half of New Mexico is eerily mystical. I love that state's beauty, its clear, clean air, its hipness.

And, like Matt, I'm an A-bomb freak. (You do own the Trinity and Beyond DVD don't you, Matt?)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Carlsbad Cavern is a must. If you go sometime in the summer you can watch the bats fly out of the cave at dusk. (One of the most hilarious things I've heard was there when a little kid, on his first sight of the bats, exclaimed "Momma, they look just like birds!" The mother promptly replied "Bats is birds!". I collapsed with laughter and gathered many dirty looks.)
White Sands National Monument - wow, that sand is really white. Make sure to photograph something non-white when you photograph the sand or the automated color compensation the printing machines use will give you a dull, non-white sand in the photo.
Chaco Canyon. Some great Anazazi ruins. You can spend days hiking around and seeing them. Also look for the pictoral record of the supernova of 1054.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
Those bandits shot ya, Al. You're bleeding like a stuck pig.

Yea sonny, I think I'm gonna die.

Is there anything I can do for you, Al?

Yes son, when you get out west, be sure to name a town after me.

OK Mr Bequerque, we'll be sure and do that.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I lived in New Mexico until '88. Here are a few of mine, not yet mentioned:

Inscription Rock - nothing spectacular but it would make a nice outdoor walk. Some of the inscriptions go back to Coronado.

Acoma Sky City - an interesting Indian village to visit.

The Atomic Museum (in Albuquerque) - has one of the early B52's and some interesting background on the Atomic Program.

The Natural History Museum/Art Museum - next to each other they provide interesting takes on the state.

Albuquerque has a nice aquarium/botanical garden near the river.

Sandia Peak - take the tram or drive to the peak outside Albuquerque.

Old Town - in Albuquerque. Small but scenic, if you're already in Albuquerque.

Petroglyph National Park - outside Albuquerque. Another nice outdoor walk to see the old Indian Petroglyphs.

Enjoy.

Kenneth

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
(You do own the Trinity and Beyond DVD don't you, Matt?)
Kinda sad actually, I have two copies since I rebought it with the box set that has Atomic Journeys and Nukes in Space. Atomic Journeys was kinda dry (except for the atomic cow tipping) but Nukes in Space was pretty good. Anyhow...
According to this site (http://www.fas.org/nuke/trinity/trinity/index.html) the Trinity Site is only open two days a year, the first saturday of April and October. So thats probably out, though the site gives pretty high marks to the tour.
Must be great to work that tour though: "So we only get $28,000 a year?" "Yeah, but we get 51.7 weeks of vacation!"

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I love New Mexico. Lots of good suggestions here. If you're going to be in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area you should check out Bandalier National Monument. Lots of very accessable ruins, including a fun climb up wooden ladders to a ceremonial cave.
If you head down south to Carlsbad (highly recommended), be sure to stop in Roswell on the way. The International UFO Museum is a hoot! :alien: They also have a city museum with a large section dedicated to Robert Goddard, the famed rocketry pioneer. Worth a stop.
If you love Mexican food, the New Mexico variety is great - be sure to check out some local restaurants. And if you have to stop in McDonald's, at least ask for green chiles on your burger!!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
McDonalds ... blasphemer :D Everybody knows the only place to get a burger in New Mexico is LotaBurger (one with Green Chile and cheese)
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Kenneth

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Stay the hell away from Gallup!

Me and the wife decided to get married in Fiji. So we were to drive from Oklahoma to LA and fly out and then back to LA and drive home again.

I dont know if it was chance or just flat out shitty brakes but on BOTH WAYS to and fro we had a breakdown in our vehicle approchaing Gallup from both directions. Front right Brake was fucking up and therefore it sucked us into Gallup as that was the nearest largest town that had major autopart stores and a mechanic that could get the thing repaired.

I will as for the rest of my life try to drive straight thru Gallup without stopping.

Richard Huck

Agent
Thanks everybody for the suggestions hope to hit just about everyone,will post pictures when we get back(if I can figure that out) thanks again. Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks