What's new

New Metroid Prime Pics!!! (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
You know what would have been cool? Using the 2d platform type gaming as seen in Super Smash Bros. Melee and puting the game in that format. With 3D backgrounds but the actual game being in 2d..

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Ryan;

I totally agree! I think developers are missing out on some tremendous visual opportunities by not doing 2D games in a 3D environment. Think of the detailed backgrounds you could have. Think of the sheer number of enemies you could have on-screen at once. It makes me salivate just to think about it.

As for the new Metriod for Gamecube, I'm adopting a wait and see attitude with it. We don't know any details about the way the game plays, how it feels, or whether the game captures the mood of the original three games or not. Until I have a better idea of what to expect from the game, I'm going to keep an open mind and hope for the best.

That said, they should have made it a 2D game.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo had that very spectacular video of a very adult Link fighting Ganondorf in full Gamecube glory and people ate it up
And who ever said the game wouldn't end up with that in it? We only saw a minute or so of the game, which is in very early development. For all we know, the whole game could be like that, or it could be like that (cel-shaded) for Link being a child and then it could end up looking like the SpaceWorld 2000 video at the end of the game when he grows up. There was something said about Link getting stuck inside a book, and he might end up in several different books.

My opinion on all of this is "sit, wait, and hope for the best." Metroid and Zelda are looking good, whether they are connected with their respective series' in gameplay or visual style or not. Metroid can be good in 3-D (and IMO, would look too weird and crappy in 2-D with 3-D backgrounds) and might even end up being GREAT. Zelda has the BEST looking cel-shaded graphics I have ever seen and seems to have very similar gameplay to the N64 games (which were excellent!).

If the games end up good, who cares? We haven't played them, and are all speculating. When we are within weeks of the releases and reviews come out, then we should talk some more on it. Until then, we should just share media since nobody really knows what the games will be like.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Metroid can be good in 3-D (and IMO, would look too weird and crappy in 2-D with 3-D backgrounds) and might even end up being GREAT.
But, the question is, would it be Metroid? We had this discussion when "Spy Hunter" was released for the PS2, with a much less radical change in play mechanics, although I don't think there was ever a consensus answer.

I suppose it depends on how you define a franchise. If it's just a set of names and characters, that's one thing. But looking at Metroid Prime, it doesn't really seem like a direct descendant of the game I played on the NES. Which raises the question of why you call this a Metroid game at all, as opposed to letting it stand without the brand name and/or making a game that plays and feels like Metroid.

And why would it necessarily look "crappy" in 2-D with 3-D backgrounds? It can be done well (although the only examples that leap to mind is "Donald Duck Going Quackers"), and it would preserve the series' signature style.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
The same was said about GTA III and just about all GTA fans agree that the 3rd in the series is the best one. I'm not saying this proves anything, just saying that it's possible for Metroid too.
Good point, but I don't think any of us have said we're going to avoid purchasing the game just because it's in 3D. And let's be honest, Metroid has a much bigger rep to maintain than the GTA games did. (No offense BrianB.) Of course, that's all changed with how stellar GTA3 turned out, but I digress.
Bottom line: I'll still pick this game up provided advance reviews don't totally pan it. But I'll also be left wondering 'what-if' it had stayed in 2D.
Oh, and Romier, at least Konami has decided to keep Castlevania 2D for its PS2 outing. That is great great news.
-Jason

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Here's the thing - GTA is a driving game series with a lot of flexibility. It isn't quite the stretch for it to be successful in 3D.

But Metroid is a shooting platformer with exploration elements. That would be how I would define it. Now, if they somehow manage to create a FPS platformer, then I would be impressed. But the closest that I've ever seen for that is Jumping Flash for the PSX. Even there the platform element was very tricky and not nearly as fluid as in a 2D game.

The title for the images make me think that maybe the FPS view is an option for the player, and the external 'ball' image may be more representative of the majority of the gameplay. If that is the case, maybe we're looking at Mario64 with a gun...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Romier-

I never said you had something against the new Zelda game, but was using that one quote as an example of something people often use as an argument as to why they don't like the next one.

And Miyamoto said he wanted to go in a new direction, but never said the whole game would be in the cel-shaded style. We were expecting what we saw in SW2K, saw what we were getting at SW2K1, so who's to say we might get something else?

Why exactly would that be nostalgiac? Are you saying they can't push the envelope if the game were 2d? I disagree completely if you do.
I said it would be nostalgiac because its in the same style. Each successive Megaman X game is somewhat nostalgiac because its done in a very similar style to the previous game, simply because people like it so much.

They could do amazing things with a 2-D Metroid, but they could also do amazing things with a 3-D one.

Alex-

When you become the ball, the game goes third-person. Otherwise, its first-person.

Think of it this way: if you were stuck on an alien vessel filled with space creatures trying to kill you, would the game immerse you more in a 2-D, side-scrolling, third-person view or a 3-D, first-person view. Maybe they will try something new with the series. I have ideas and thoughts of things that I would love to see in the game that could only be done in 3-D since a lot of the things they could do in 2-D have already been done or wouldn't be done as well as in 3-D. I, personally, would prefer to have another great FPS than another Metroid with nothing new.

Then again, we have Metroid 4 on the way for GBA if you want to have a 2-D game.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I said it would be nostalgiac because its in the same style. Each successive Megaman X game is somewhat nostalgiac because its done in a very similar style to the previous game, simply because people like it so much.
That's not "nostalgic", that's exploiting a successful format.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Dean

Those pictures, individually and cumulatively, were well above the 40K image size limit for the HTF. I've converted them to URL links.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Jay,
No problem. I didn't realize there was a limit. Next time I'll just use hyper-links to post images to save you guys some work. :)
-Dean-

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's not "nostalgic", that's exploiting a successful format.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nostalgia is kind of a personal thing, wouldn't you say? What's nostalgic to me may not be for you.
Well, that's true, but the word does have definite connotations. Nostalgia implies reviving something that's been dormant or out of use, and that didn't seem to be what Morgan was describing. Also, if you were making a 2-D game to appeal to a wide audience, as opposed to just those that remember their glory days, that's not really an appeal to nostalgia, either.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Those pictures, individually and cumulatively, were well above the 40K image size limit for the HTF.
I wasn't aware of this limit...I thought that was for your signature only. I think that screenshots are important to the Gaming Software forum, but I guess I'll keep it in mind from now on.
Good thing Jay didn't take notice of that thread that I created recently... ;)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Screw all you guys. :)
All I care about is whether or not the game has something to do with Mother Brain or gasp, stay true to its name and actually have metroids in them. Metroids in 2-D were a pain in the ass to kill. I can only imagine in FPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks