New Metroid Prime Pics!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I remember those pictures from last year somewhere. I think it looks mediocre, but the quality of the photos is partly to blame. Here's hoping though...

-Dan B

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

If you get the oppurtunity download the gameplay movies. Screens really dont do this game justice. When you see it in motion you can't help but get excited. (although it should have stayed 2d!![​IMG])
    Definite purchase for me when its released.

4. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I hate to be such a stick-in-the-mud, but for me, this simply isn't Metroid. I grew up on the NES version.
    Granted, I have not played the game. I have not seen it in motion. Therefore that makes my argument pretty weak. But I remain highly skeptical that this can effectively push ahead the Metroid franchise. I remain hopeful that this will be a very successful, very impressive first person shooter a la Red Faction and Halo. But make no mistake -- it'll be Metroid in name only.
    Just my opinion.
    And if this turns out to be a mind-blowing title that blows my half-bit theories to smithereens, I will happily insert foot in mouth. [​IMG]
    Joseph

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If you want 2-D Metroid, go play the NES, SNES, or GameBoy ones. This is not Metroid for the sake of nostalgia, its Metroid for the next-generation.

Not trying to be mean, but you shouldn't complain about not getting something you already have.

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The idea of running sideways and shooting people isn't original, either, so copying it for another Metroid would be a rehash of the original.
    The thing that makes games stand out is not originality, its being good. Super Metroid was like Metroid with better graphics, but the gameplay was good. It wasn't original, it didn't have any new elements beyond mainly shooting enemies and collecting some things, but it was very well done, and that is why it was so good. This game could do just the same, only in 3-D.
    I, myself, have not lost faith in this one. It seems to be creating its own unique style and world, along with retaining some elements of the original games. If its not the exact same but rather just a really good FPS, I see nothing wrong with that.
    Forgot to mention that those pics also showed up on GameSpot very recently, so I would assume that they are not old.
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...447244,00.html

8. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I think we're all being pretty reasonable here. For instance, my quote:

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

• Metroid = Lots of insane jumping & shooting.

• Jumping sucks in first person shooters.

ergo...

I'm pretty skeptical that this will be able to retain the Metroid feel and/or be a very good game.

I'd like to be wrong, though.

-Dave

10. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

As others have said, I'm not totally sold that the transition from 2D to 3D for this game is going to pay off. The game shots look good, it looks great in motion, but Super Metroid for the SNES was a great great game. The biggest concern I have is how Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed concerns at how the game is developing, hence the delay to Thanksgiving.

I'm not going to give up on the game before playing it, obviously, but some games, like Castlevania, just work better in 2D.

And for the record, I also can't wait for the new Metroid game on the GBA, which will be 2D and hopefully as good as Super Metroid.

-Jason

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Hey, I didn't say it was good. I'm reserving judgement until it comes out. Put me down as "interested".

15. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I need to clarify that I wasn't commenting on the success of the implementation of 3D gameplay to the Metroid series, I just meant that I don't find the graphics "incredible" as Dean described them.

As for the gameplay, I really hope they do nail it. The Gamecube needs[/b] a game with the quality and style of the Metroid series.

-Dan B.

16. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

The graphics don't look as good as Halo. I'm not sure they capture the look of the original Metroid, either. FPS was a big mistake, they should have stuck with the awesome looking 3rd person view they used for GCN demos early on.

17. Romier S

Romier S Producer

18. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

jesus... the game is still in development and you have never even played it... and yet you guys are talking about how 'making it a FPS was a big mistake.' With that attitude, we would all still be playing PONG... as there would be no other genres. Sure... the new Zelda could be in the same style as the Ocarina of Time... the new Metroid could be a 2.5D side scroller... and they would probably both be fun, but it takes a unique approach to really make an impact.
    I personally thing that FPS Metroid Prime has some tricks up its sleeve... but it is too early to tell (can you say Halo-killer? [​IMG] )

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

20. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Well, I'm going to take a slightly hard ass position on this. It pisses me off that this game is a first person shooter. My favorite thing about Metriod is the huge levels and how it seems like you could always find a new area that you've not yet seen. When I thought of a next-gen Nintendo Console I thought they could make it even BIGGER, with even more cool areas to find. Perhaps they could create some inovative new power-ups and bosses.

What can I say? I'm VERY dissapointed in Nintendo. They need to learn that not every game needs the 3D treatment. Perhaps I'm just too attached to oldschool videogames.

Marshall