What's new

New Metroid Prime Pics!!! (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
I remember those pictures from last year somewhere. I think it looks mediocre, but the quality of the photos is partly to blame. Here's hoping though...

-Dan B

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
If you get the oppurtunity download the gameplay movies. Screens really dont do this game justice. When you see it in motion you can't help but get excited. (although it should have stayed 2d!!:angry:)
Definite purchase for me when its released.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I hate to be such a stick-in-the-mud, but for me, this simply isn't Metroid. I grew up on the NES version.
Granted, I have not played the game. I have not seen it in motion. Therefore that makes my argument pretty weak. But I remain highly skeptical that this can effectively push ahead the Metroid franchise. I remain hopeful that this will be a very successful, very impressive first person shooter a la Red Faction and Halo. But make no mistake -- it'll be Metroid in name only.
Just my opinion.
And if this turns out to be a mind-blowing title that blows my half-bit theories to smithereens, I will happily insert foot in mouth. :D
Joseph

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you want 2-D Metroid, go play the NES, SNES, or GameBoy ones. This is not Metroid for the sake of nostalgia, its Metroid for the next-generation.

Not trying to be mean, but you shouldn't complain about not getting something you already have.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
This is not Metroid for the sake of nostalgia, its Metroid for the next-generation.

Well if thats the case go take quake 3 and write a metroid mod. This is not metroid, this is a first person shooter that is named metroid. You could call this Turok the Metroid Hunter. Or Metroidoom. Or Metroiquake. I don't feel there has been an original shooter in a long time and this one will probably be no different. I'm not sold on this yet.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The idea of running sideways and shooting people isn't original, either, so copying it for another Metroid would be a rehash of the original.
The thing that makes games stand out is not originality, its being good. Super Metroid was like Metroid with better graphics, but the gameplay was good. It wasn't original, it didn't have any new elements beyond mainly shooting enemies and collecting some things, but it was very well done, and that is why it was so good. This game could do just the same, only in 3-D.
I, myself, have not lost faith in this one. It seems to be creating its own unique style and world, along with retaining some elements of the original games. If its not the exact same but rather just a really good FPS, I see nothing wrong with that.
Forgot to mention that those pics also showed up on GameSpot very recently, so I would assume that they are not old.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...447244,00.html

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I think we're all being pretty reasonable here. For instance, my quote:
And if this turns out to be a mind-blowing title that blows my half-bit theories to smithereens, I will happily insert foot in mouth.
Dan, Romier, Mike, myself and many others just aren't sold on this one yet. We all have perfectly solid reasons. Listen, I won't start up an argument of examples because it will waste thread space with useless arguments.
I wish Metroid Prime the best of luck. :)
Cheers,
Joseph

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
• Metroid = Lots of insane jumping & shooting.

• Jumping sucks in first person shooters.

ergo...

I'm pretty skeptical that this will be able to retain the Metroid feel and/or be a very good game.

I'd like to be wrong, though.

-Dave

JasonK

Supporting Actor
As others have said, I'm not totally sold that the transition from 2D to 3D for this game is going to pay off. The game shots look good, it looks great in motion, but Super Metroid for the SNES was a great great game. The biggest concern I have is how Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed concerns at how the game is developing, hence the delay to Thanksgiving.

I'm not going to give up on the game before playing it, obviously, but some games, like Castlevania, just work better in 2D.

And for the record, I also can't wait for the new Metroid game on the GBA, which will be 2D and hopefully as good as Super Metroid.

-Jason

Camp

Senior HTF Member
If you want 2-D Metroid, go play the NES, SNES, or GameBoy ones. This is not Metroid for the sake of nostalgia, its Metroid for the next-generation.
I agree with Morgan.

Many of you are using the same reasoning against Metroid as others are using against the new cell shaded Zelda. The nostalgia of Metroid and Zelda are keeping you from accepting something new. If these games were new franchises there would be far less negativity.

Change is difficult people. I suggest judging each game after you've experienced it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The biggest concern I have is how Shigeru Miyamoto has expressed concerns at how the game is developing, hence the delay to Thanksgiving.
And it's widely known that big Shigs (as his friends call him) is heavily involved in the game's style & its ongoing progress. Yes, a US team is doing the day to day development. Nintendo Japan is most definitely involved in the management & progress of it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm not totally sold that the transition from 2D to 3D for this game is going to pay off.
The same was said about GTA III and just about all GTA fans agree that the 3rd in the series is the best one. I'm not saying this proves anything, just saying that it's possible for Metroid too.

I understand and respect both arguments, but I'm with Morgan and Camp in this one. Such a major change can be good or bad, but in Metroid's case I think this it's a good one.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I didn't say it was good. I'm reserving judgement until it comes out. Put me down as "interested".

Dan B

Screenwriter
I need to clarify that I wasn't commenting on the success of the implementation of 3D gameplay to the Metroid series, I just meant that I don't find the graphics "incredible" as Dean described them.

As for the gameplay, I really hope they do nail it. The Gamecube needs[/b] a game with the quality and style of the Metroid series.

-Dan B.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
The graphics don't look as good as Halo. I'm not sure they capture the look of the original Metroid, either. FPS was a big mistake, they should have stuck with the awesome looking 3rd person view they used for GCN demos early on.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
jesus... the game is still in development and you have never even played it... and yet you guys are talking about how 'making it a FPS was a big mistake.' With that attitude, we would all still be playing PONG... as there would be no other genres. Sure... the new Zelda could be in the same style as the Ocarina of Time... the new Metroid could be a 2.5D side scroller... and they would probably both be fun, but it takes a unique approach to really make an impact.
I personally thing that FPS Metroid Prime has some tricks up its sleeve... but it is too early to tell (can you say Halo-killer? ;) )

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Many of you are using the same reasoning against Metroid as others are using against the new cell shaded Zelda.
By the way Camp I just wanted to mention that part of the problem with Cel-da if you will is perception. Nintendo had that very spectacular video of a very adult Link fighting Ganondorf in full Gamecube glory and people ate it up. In turn people expected that to be the new Legend of Zelda game. Months later Miyamoto unveils the new direction for Zelda and people just don't get it. Its an understandable reaction.
Admittedly it's also the first reaction I had. I abhorred the new look of the game. Recently though I started up a game of A Link to the Past on the SNES (for nostalgia's sake;)) and I realized the new look is very similar to a 3d version of that game (my favorite Zelda by the way) with what appears to be new and similar play mechanics to Ocarina. That thought really made me do a 180 on my opinion towards the new Zelda (I still think the Link model in the new game could use some work though:frowning:). I live by a new credo these days "In Miyamoto we trust":D
Anyway didn't mean to throw up a discussion on Zelda here but I wanted to mention that. Now back to Metroid...

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I'm going to take a slightly hard ass position on this. It pisses me off that this game is a first person shooter. My favorite thing about Metriod is the huge levels and how it seems like you could always find a new area that you've not yet seen. When I thought of a next-gen Nintendo Console I thought they could make it even BIGGER, with even more cool areas to find. Perhaps they could create some inovative new power-ups and bosses.

What can I say? I'm VERY dissapointed in Nintendo. They need to learn that not every game needs the 3D treatment. Perhaps I'm just too attached to oldschool videogames.

Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks