New Meshuggah EP coming July 13!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Tony-B, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Meshuggah has a new EP, entitled I, coming out on July 13. It has one song on it, but the length of the song is over 20 minutes!!! Sounds very interesting to me. [​IMG]

They also have a new album coming out this fall. The name of it is Catch 33 and there is no solid release date set for it.

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Wow, already? Didn't they just release Nothing?

I have a few posts about Meshuggah in my Reviews By Me thread. I just discovered them and have been pouring over Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere. They're quite something.

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Actually, nothing came out almost 2 years ago.

By the way, have you heard Nothing yet? It's not as crazy as Chaosphere, but it's really complex.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

No, I haven't heard Nothing yet. I'll be visiting Best Buy tonight or tomorrow and I'll get it if it's there.

I'm still going through those first two. It takes a lot to grock this music. My first listen it was just like a bunch of noise. I'm liking Chaosphere a lot more.

5. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Yeah same thing I thought too. But once you listen to it, you get a sense of how fucking crazy the whole album is. I think you will like Nothing. This is a more mature version of Meshuggah. It's heavy, not as crazy sounding, but still very complex. The drumming on this album rules. Tomas often plays one beat with his hands and another beat with his feet, but the cool thing is that the drumming does not always match up with the beat of the rest of the band. However, there are times when Tomas and the rest of the band intersects. I also think you will like the guitars on this album. They used 8 (!) string guitars on this album, and they sound fucking great!

Closed Eyes Visuals is a really good song on that album. I really don't want to ruin what happens 4 minutes into the song until 6 minutes 21 seconds because it's so freaking unexpected.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Yeah, I read about the 8 strings. I love the fact they're as interested in making it heavy and vicious as they are about making it complex and intricate. The thing you describe about the rhythm going in and out of sync with the front instruments is very King Crimson (and I worship Crimson). I think that's why I like them- King Crimson as death metal, or something.

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I found a site that you might be interested in. It's a thesis paper a student wrote that does a thorough examination of Meshuggah's song, Future Breed Machine.

http://www.notam02.no/~espenth/mesh/

Mike, get Nothing ASAP! I promise that you won't be disappointed (in the long run). I personally didn't like Nothing at first, but once you discover how complex it is, you want to keep listening in order to figure it out.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

That's a cute paper. I had friends who wrote stuff like that in college.

I'm definitely gonna get Nothing. I'm just gonna live with the other two for a bit longer. It's all a lot to digest.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Mike, did you get Nothing yet?

10. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Mike, did you get Nothing yet?

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

That's a funny question when taken out of context.

I picked it up this weekend but I haven't listened to it, yet.

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

That's a funny question when taken out of context.

I picked it up this weekend but I haven't listened to it, yet.

13. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Cool! Well, I just found a 4:30 clip from the new I EP. This was aired on a European radio station...

http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/me...h-I-(clip).mp3

This sounds like Chaosphere mixed in with Nothing. The result is just CRAZY sounding! I really like it! Too bad the sound quality of the MP3 pretty much sucks. Man, I cannot wait to hear the full 20 minute version of the song! [​IMG]

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Cool! Well, I just found a 4:30 clip from the new I EP. This was aired on a European radio station...

http://www.tandjent.com/meshforum/me...h-I-(clip).mp3

This sounds like Chaosphere mixed in with Nothing. The result is just CRAZY sounding! I really like it! Too bad the sound quality of the MP3 pretty much sucks. Man, I cannot wait to hear the full 20 minute version of the song! [​IMG]

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just completed my first listen to Nothing.

Well, that was quite a doozy. I need a few more rides before I grock it, but it was as strong as Chaosphere.

I especially liked Glint Colliding (what the hell is a Glint?)

I don't like that the songs aren't listed anywhere on the CD or the notes. Fortunately, I was listening on the iPod so I had the song titles.

Thanks for the link, but I prefer not to preview clips of albums I know I'll be buying. I like the whole thing to hit me at once.

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I just completed my first listen to Nothing.

Well, that was quite a doozy. I need a few more rides before I grock it, but it was as strong as Chaosphere.

I especially liked Glint Colliding (what the hell is a Glint?)

I don't like that the songs aren't listed anywhere on the CD or the notes. Fortunately, I was listening on the iPod so I had the song titles.

Thanks for the link, but I prefer not to preview clips of albums I know I'll be buying. I like the whole thing to hit me at once.

17. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Meshuggah owns. Nothing is underrated, but all 3 of their main LP's have different things that make them all unique. I don't consider Contradictions Collapse to be one of their main albums because at that time they were still trongly hanging onto the 80's thrash sound before developing their own. Also, I've heard samples from "I" and they are interesting to say the least. Kind of a mix between Nothing's groove oriented riffs fused with the speed of Chaosphere.

18. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Meshuggah owns. Nothing is underrated, but all 3 of their main LP's have different things that make them all unique. I don't consider Contradictions Collapse to be one of their main albums because at that time they were still trongly hanging onto the 80's thrash sound before developing their own. Also, I've heard samples from "I" and they are interesting to say the least. Kind of a mix between Nothing's groove oriented riffs fused with the speed of Chaosphere.

19. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Rich, I think that Nothing could be one of the most underrated albums of all-time.

I wonder what Meshuggah will do on Catch 33. I bet it will be very cool, because that seems to be what Meshuggah does on every LP that they put out.

The things that I really like about I is that it has raw production, lots of speed and complexity, and I love the hints of hardcore and death metal in there.

I might be hard to find in stores because it is coming out on Jason Mann's (Vocalist for the band Mushroomhead, another good band) record label, Fractured Transmitter Records, and this is their first release. Be sure to check the Fractured Transmitter website (http://www.fracturedtransmitter.com/) to get information on where to buy I.

Speaking of Jason Mann and Mushroomhead, Jens Kidman (Meshuggah's vocalist) made a guest appearance on Mushroomhead's latest album, XIII. The song Jens is on is called "The Dream Is Over", and it's a very cool metal song. There is a clip of the song over at Mushroomhead's website.

20. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Rich, I think that Nothing could be one of the most underrated albums of all-time.

I wonder what Meshuggah will do on Catch 33. I bet it will be very cool, because that seems to be what Meshuggah does on every LP that they put out.

The things that I really like about I is that it has raw production, lots of speed and complexity, and I love the hints of hardcore and death metal in there.

I might be hard to find in stores because it is coming out on Jason Mann's (Vocalist for the band Mushroomhead, another good band) record label, Fractured Transmitter Records, and this is their first release. Be sure to check the Fractured Transmitter website (http://www.fracturedtransmitter.com/) to get information on where to buy I.

Speaking of Jason Mann and Mushroomhead, Jens Kidman (Meshuggah's vocalist) made a guest appearance on Mushroomhead's latest album, XIII. The song Jens is on is called "The Dream Is Over", and it's a very cool metal song. There is a clip of the song over at Mushroomhead's website.