What's new

New member with Onkyo 6100 questions! (1 Viewer)

becact

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi all!

I have just installed an Onkyo 6100 HTiB as my primary home theater system. I know it is not the best, but it fell within my budget. Luckily, I have some experience with car audio (I run Rainbow components and an IDmax subwoofer), so this is not all new to me! I had a few general questions on the system, though, that I am hoping others can help with. I am using it primarily with a PS3 as a blu-ray and DVD player.

I am running the system as a 5.1, and have the fronts mounted to the wall on pivoting mounts. My TV screen is about 2-3 feet off the wall, and the center is directly under it. Will the fronts being mounted to the wall produce reflections and other undesirable effects, or will the directional nature of the front speakers negate any effect from being so close to the wall? I've ran the Audessy for the time delay corrections and such.

Also, the system sounds great at high volumes, but the voices seem very low compared to the rest of the soundtrack at moderate to low volumes. Is this because of the cheap speakers, or can I tune this effect away? Perhaps raising the gain on the center channel?

Also, what does everyone think of the sub in this system? It seems quite weak on mine for some reason. The gain is up half way, and the audessey was tuned with it at this level. Audessey set the trim on the sub to -1dB. I have the system crossover at 80 hz, which helped a little (is this too low for the included speakers? Audessey set it at 120hz). The sub does not have a phase dial for me to play around with, unfortunately.

Thanks! I hope I don't get sucked into this expensive hobby, as I already have another one (saltwater reef keeping)! ;)

becact

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hi all!

I have just installed an Onkyo 6100 HTiB as my primary home theater system. I know it is not the best, but it fell within my budget. Luckily, I have some experience with car audio (I run Rainbow components and an IDmax subwoofer), so this is not all new to me! I had a few general questions on the system, though, that I am hoping others can help with. I am using it primarily with a PS3 as a blu-ray and DVD player.

I am running the system as a 5.1, and have the fronts mounted to the wall on pivoting mounts. My TV screen is about 2-3 feet off the wall, and the center is directly under it. Will the fronts being mounted to the wall produce reflections and other undesirable effects, or will the directional nature of the front speakers negate any effect from being so close to the wall? I've ran the Audessy for the time delay corrections and such.

Also, the system sounds great at high volumes, but the voices seem very low compared to the rest of the soundtrack at moderate to low volumes. Is this because of the cheap speakers, or can I tune this effect away? Perhaps raising the gain on the center channel?

Also, what does everyone think of the sub in this system? It seems quite weak on mine for some reason. The gain is up half way, and the audessey was tuned with it at this level. Audessey set the trim on the sub to -1dB. I have the system crossover at 80 hz, which helped a little (is this too low for the included speakers? Audessey set it at 120hz). The sub does not have a phase dial for me to play around with, unfortunately.

Thanks! I hope I don't get sucked into this expensive hobby, as I already have another one (saltwater reef keeping)! ;)

troy evans

Screenwriter
If the speakers are at 80hz I would set those to 100hz. In my experience smaller speakers work better in the 100-120hz range. The sub setting at 120hz is correct. As far as balancing out your levels, the Aud set-up is very good. I would still recommend getting an SPL meter at Radio Shack just to be sure everything is out putting at correct levels. In my opinion, Ideally, speaker levels should be around 75db from channel to channel.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

I'd go with the higher crossover on those small satellites, stick to the Audyssey setting. For bass experiment with placement, you can try the "sub crawl" test, put the sub at the listening position, then crawl around room searching for best bass response and put the sub there. Often corner placement will be best.

becact

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks guys.

I don't think this receiver lets me set separate filters for the sub and filters. There is only one crossover. I'll try 100hz even though 80 sounds better to my ears. I don't want to harm the speakers.

Unfortunately the cable that came with the sub is about 3' long, not leaving me many placement options. Can I use a standard RCA cable? Up to how many feet is safe?

And thanks for the tip on the late night feature for voices. Should I leave this on all the time or only at low volumes?

I can't wait until I've saved enough for an SVS 5.1 package :D.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You can use standard RCA cable, 25 feet (or more) is no problem if you need that long.

"Late night", is for when you can't hear the dialog, so want to raise the volume, but you *don't* want the system to shake the room with explosions etc. Off with high volume so that you can hear the dialog & then resulting *really loud* sound effects is closer to the multiplex experience & what is intended. Note this setting only works for Dolby Digital sources. Basically this setting reduces the difference between the soft sounds and the loudest sounds, so that you can raise the soft ones to where you can hear the voices without disturbing neighbors when things are getting blown up. But it defeats the purpose of the system when you want it to knock your socks off
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

troy evans

Screenwriter
All info for this HTiB points to its receiver, 667, is a version of the 606. It also sports the Audyssey 2eq for room optimization. In which case it would be odd if you didn't have the different speaker and sub settings. The speaker range on this is from "full band" to 140 or 160hz, correct? There should also be a setting for the "LFE" which goes from 80hz to 120hz.

becact

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I checked the menus, and I can only find one crossover setting in the speaker configuration menu (where you choose your speakers as "small" or "large"). There is no full pass option, it goes from 40hz to 200hz in increments of 20. Perhaps the firmware on the 667 is nerfed?

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It only goes full band if you set the speakers to "large" which you shouldn't. Keep it at small, 100/120 crossover. I think Troy was talking about the "LPF of LFE" setting on Onkyo receivers which isn't on your receiver & you don't need to worry about it.

troy evans

Screenwriter
You're in the right menu. Is the setting for crossover "absolute"? Meaning one crossover for all speakers. Or, can each individual speaker be set at a different crossover in the 40hz to 200hz range? If you're locked into one setting for all speakers, then definately put the crossover at 100hz and send all other bass to the sub. You're going to have to play with the volumn control on the sub to get it where you'd like it. Any settings on the subwoofer itself besides volumn control?

becact

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
If I change the fronts to "large" a new setting becomes available, "double bass". Other than that change I still only have a 40-200hz adjustment. I've tried all combination of channels at small and large, and the sub set to "yes" and "no", but still only one all encompassing crossover is available to me at those frequencies.

Also I cannot individually control speakers, I only have EQ options on "front" "center" "surrounds" and "subwoofer" (I'm using 5.1). Not sure if that changes on the other models though, ir if it would even be needed.

If this 667 receiver is indeed nerfed I'm returning the system and getting a 606 or similar, because I am probably going to be changing out the speakers to floorstanding models anyway. It seems the firmware in this receiver is made specifically for the HTiB speakers, though I don't know why they'd give you an option to change to "large", or even give you crossover settings in that case.

The sub only has a level knob on the back...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

That is correct. The crossovers are set for the front L/R, center, surrounds, and backs. Unless your AVR set anything to "full range" after running Audyssey, I would not change them.

You can bump up the trim (volume) on the center speaker if you still have trouble hearing it. You mention that the center is below the screen. Is it in a cabinet?

becact

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I discovered that the "667" receiver included in the 6100 HTiB is indeed the same power as a normal 606 (90w/channel instead of the stated 130), and it apparently has fewer customization and tuning options. I think this because the bona-fide Onkyo 606, which comes in the 7100 HTiB, is rated at 130w/ channel in that HTiB spec sheet, and we all know it is only 90w. So Onkyo is fudging the numbers somehow (likely stating power at a higher THD) with both systems.

I'm bringing it back while I still can and going with piecing together a system, I think. The 6100 is great for what it is, but I think I can do much better for only marginally more money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks