New member w/ quest. re. marantz sr7000

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Se, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Mark Se

Mark Se Auditioning

Hello;

My home theater system uses a Marantz SR7000 receiver and I have a question about changing inputs with the remote. For example, when I am watching satellite tv and want to start a DVD I have to push and hold the DVD select button for 4-5 seconds before the input is switched. Is this normal or is something hooked up wrong? The manual says to change inputs you simply push the corresponding button twice and that changes the input. No mention in the manual about holding it down for 4 seconds to make the switch.

Thanks for any input on this.

Mark

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What remote is this? Is it an RC2000? If so, the "double push" should select the input. The first push selects the source functions on the remote without changing the source on the receiver. The second push should change the receiver to the selected source. I've owned two RC2000s, and they both worked this way. On many of the other remotes I've seen from Marantz, the manuals say to press and hold for 2-3 seconds to select the source, and there was no other way to do this.

Does it only do this for the DVD source? If so, your remote may have a problem or the batteries may be close to dying (RC2000MkII is good about letting you know the batteries are dying though).

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

My SR7000 had an RC1200, and John is correct. Hit the button for the source twice quickly and it will change. In fact, my RC1200 is still my primary remote even though I got an SR-8200. I was not willing to give it up in favor of the touch screen, which I found to be "cool" but not nearly as practical.

Chris

4. Mark Se

Mark Se Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. The remote is an RC7000SR. Pushing the source button twice changes the audio source to the appropriate one and causes the tv screen to go blank but will not change the video input unless I hold the button for several seconds. This happens regardless of the source I'm transferring to or from.

Does this help any?

Thanks again,

mark

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Video is another story and I cannot really help you there, as I don't use my receiver to pass video. Do you have enough inputs on your display to accomodate connecting most or all of them directly to it? This will not 100% solve your problem either, as you will then have to select input on your display.

Can you program macros into this remote? This might not work the way you have it now, as I don't think you can press and "hold" a button during macro programming, but it would work with devices on their own video inputs on the TV.

I have an SR8300, and I do not like the RC3200 remote (also not a fan of touchscreens), so I still use my RC2000. [​IMG]

6. Mark Se

Mark Se Auditioning

yep, I can program macros but have never tried. I'm wondering if macros may have been programmed by the person who owned it before me and that could be part of the problem. All I know for sure is to change the video source to what I want I have to hold down for about 4 seconds.

Thanks for your input.

mark

7. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

You're right, it is an RC7000SR that came with my SR7000 (and that I still use). I was at work when I posted my last message and remembered incorrectly. There is either something wrong with your remote, or there are macros, as you said. Hitting the button twice should change to the source (both audio and video). I know there is a way to restore the factory settings of a button, but I'm not sure what it is. In fact, I was wondering the same thing myself since I gave away my SR7000 instruction manual when I sold the receiver.

Chris