What's new

New member speaker question... (1 Viewer)

Gregory P

Auditioning
Hi~
I have been hanging around and searching for awhile, and I have found most of the advice you guys give useful. However, I do have questions regarding your obvious dislike for Bose... I do realize that the cubes are pretty much useless, but the bookshelf speakers are another story.
After listening to similarly priced speakers (bookshelf) Yamaha NS A50X, JBL (about same price range) and Bose 301IV I thought the Bose sounded much "crisper" and "cleaner" than the JBL and Yamaha speakers. Of course, the Bose do not have as good of low bass, but with a subwoofer what difference does it make -- the sub should take care of that.
Now I know you guys think they are too expensive, so I would like to ask you for help in finding clean crisp sounding bookshelf’s and maybe which stores have them to listen to. I have always been a fan of Bose and infinity for thier clean sound, but before buying on the web it would be nice to have a listen. Perhaps you guys could help me out and prevent me from becoming another Bose causality...
Thanks,
Greg

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I thought the Bose sounded much "crisper" and "cleaner" than the JBL and Yamaha speakers
confused.gif

Huh? You thought they sounded crisper and cleaner? Hmmm, is this from there new "HQ series"? (HQ = High Quality)
Well, if you dont like JBL or Yamaha you could try Klipsch. They have a "crisp, clean" sound.
tongue.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Welcome to the Forum Gregory. If you use the search function within the Forum and type "BOSE" you may find some of the thoughts and opinions people have on Bose. I for one have listened to Bose as far back as the 70's. I was a 901 fan until I heard many, many other speakers throughout the years. My main objection to Bose is that much of the price of the product is based on marketing. Also by their design, imagine in not a primary goal from the speakers. They use reflective sound to fill the room. Now, I read a review of a Home Theater that used six 901s with incredible results and looked great on their pedestals. All speakers were at the same listening level and from the review did quite a job. But, for two channel music considering the money, one can do much better.
------------------
Enjoy the Toys!

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I also think the Bose bookshelves are much better than JBL, Yamaha, Sony, etc... but you have to hear some real speakers sometime to compare. Try Paradigm, Definitive Technology, B&W, Energy, Klipsch also. Then you will forget all about the bose due to the price.

Gregory P

Auditioning
Hi~
I have done a search on Bose and have read what you guys have said about them, but there are also reviews elsewhere that say they are OK.
I'll give you a price range for bookshelf speakers $400 per pair. I do not really want to buy speakers without hearing them, so if you are going to suggest speakers can you let me know where you guys go to listen to them too (side by side?)...
Thanks again for your help...

Gregory P

Auditioning
Whoops...
just went to B&W and Paradigm web site and did a search and found a store nearby with both. OK, any suggestions then I'll go and listen...

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Gregory,
You mentioned Infinity. The Infinity Interlude IL10 bookshelf is an excellent $400.00 per pair speaker that you can A/B at CC with the Bose. I doubt there will be any comparison.
Russ

BryanZ

Screenwriter
$400 per pair?
B&W DM 303 or 601 S3
Paradigm Monitor 5
Axiom Audio M3ti
ceramic nOrh 4.0 or wood 5.1
Swan Diva 2.1
Ascend Acoustics CBM-17
ACI Opal (if you are able to build the cabinets yourself)
Link Removed
Try getting in touch with some people that have some of the internet only speakers and see if you can audition them. They offer much better value for your dollar. You could also post on Harmonic Discord and see if anyone lives near you and own those speakers. Also try emailing the companies and ask them to put you in touch with people in the area. If you can audition the Dynaudio Countour 1.1 or 1.3 then you will have a good idea as to what the nOrh will sound like. Good luck!

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Gregory,
You mentioned Infinity. The Infinity Interlude IL10 bookshelf is an excellent $400.00 per pair speaker that you can A/B at CC with the Bose. I doubt there will be any comparison.
I agree. To my ears they have a beautifully neutral sound. The IL10 is the best sounding

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks