New Member, plus pics of my Shiva/PR15 sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Shaw, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Keith Shaw

Keith Shaw Agent

Howdy all. Nice to see some familiar faces (err... names) from my days on the Bass List. My name's Keith, and I'm a recent graduate of UT-Austin, now working as an automotive research engineer at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio.
    http://www.swri.org ). I just recently got my lazy butt to put a finish on it, so here are some completed pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sub is a standard SBB4 alignment, and is powered by a 150W amp from MCM Electronics. The sub amps available now are way better than were around when I built this thing, and if I built it today it would no doubt be sporting a better amp.
    Here's a few pics showing the box construction.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The walls are 3/4" MDF, while both baffles are 1.5" MDF. And it has the two braces as well.
    Anyway, nice to be here. Hope to participate in the discussions from time to time.
    Best Regards,
    Keith Shaw

2. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

nice! just wondering if you know how well that sbb4 alignment works for music like techno/hiphop? I am making a shiva sub tuned pretty high @ 26hz'ish to cover that area that my EBS sub doesn't have much impact in(how low is the SBB4 tuned anyways?)

3. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush Stunt Coordinator

I never thought a Shiva could look so small...
    Do you feel the cabinet you have made is rigid enough?
    Why havn't you used 1.5" MDF all around ?

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

WOW!! BEAUTIFUL SUB!!! Thanks for sharing!
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker
    ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

5. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Keith - That looks pretty sharp. What did you use to finish the sub?
    Jones... You obviously haven't had to move a 1.5" thick sub of moderate size before [​IMG]. Also, if you make the walls thicker, the box gets bigger. Having the bracing on the sides and the 1.5" thick baffles should do pretty well for a sub like this. Also, I would say that "small" may be a relative term. Guessing from the space around the Shiva and the 15" PR cutout, that looks to be about 20-22" cube. not like the water heaters you often find here or some of the 7-10 cu.ft. Tempest designs, but not small. If that box was 1.5" MDF, the box itself, without drivers would be approaching 100 lbs.
    Mark Seaton

6. Keith Shaw

Keith Shaw Agent

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've been pretty happy with the sub, and if I'm not usually some fiddling with the PR will appease me again [​IMG]