What's new

New Member, plus pics of my Shiva/PR15 sub (1 Viewer)

Keith Shaw

Agent
Howdy all. Nice to see some familiar faces (err... names) from my days on the Bass List. My name's Keith, and I'm a recent graduate of UT-Austin, now working as an automotive research engineer at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio.
http://www.swri.org ). I just recently got my lazy butt to put a finish on it, so here are some completed pics.
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
The sub is a standard SBB4 alignment, and is powered by a 150W amp from MCM Electronics. The sub amps available now are way better than were around when I built this thing, and if I built it today it would no doubt be sporting a better amp.
Here's a few pics showing the box construction.
Link Removed
Link Removed
The walls are 3/4" MDF, while both baffles are 1.5" MDF. And it has the two braces as well.
Anyway, nice to be here. Hope to participate in the discussions from time to time.
Best Regards,
Keith Shaw

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
nice! just wondering if you know how well that sbb4 alignment works for music like techno/hiphop? I am making a shiva sub tuned pretty high @ 26hz'ish to cover that area that my EBS sub doesn't have much impact in(how low is the SBB4 tuned anyways?)

Jones_Rush

Stunt Coordinator
I never thought a Shiva could look so small...
Do you feel the cabinet you have made is rigid enough?
Why havn't you used 1.5" MDF all around ?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Very nice,Keith. What's your in-room response look like?
The bracing seems more than adequate to squelch any resonances.
------------------
Link Removed

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
WOW!! BEAUTIFUL SUB!!! Thanks for sharing!
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
Keith - That looks pretty sharp. What did you use to finish the sub?
Jones... You obviously haven't had to move a 1.5" thick sub of moderate size before
wink.gif
. Also, if you make the walls thicker, the box gets bigger. Having the bracing on the sides and the 1.5" thick baffles should do pretty well for a sub like this. Also, I would say that "small" may be a relative term. Guessing from the space around the Shiva and the 15" PR cutout, that looks to be about 20-22" cube. not like the water heaters you often find here or some of the 7-10 cu.ft. Tempest designs, but not small. If that box was 1.5" MDF, the box itself, without drivers would be approaching 100 lbs.
Mark Seaton

Keith Shaw

Agent
Thanks for the compliments guys. I've been pretty happy with the sub, and if I'm not usually some fiddling with the PR will appease me again
wink.gif

nice! just wondering if you know how well that sbb4 alignment works for music like techno/hiphop? I am making a shiva sub tuned pretty high @ 26hz'ish to cover that area that my EBS sub doesn't have much impact in(how low is the SBB4 tuned anyways?)
If memory serves, SBB4 tuning is around 22 Hz. Like I said above, the nice thing about a PR is that you can mess around with it for the medium you're putting through the sub. I've been now to run it lower for critical listening periods, and take some mass off for HT or "modern music
wink.gif
" usage. Only takes a couple minutes.
Thanks again, this seems like a nice site. I'll wander around a bit and see what's here.
Best Regards,
Keith Shaw

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks