What's new

new member needs 'help' picking equipment (1 Viewer)

RonaldSach

Auditioning
hello to all... just found this great site.

i am building a theatre in part of my basement.

my video guy is starting today to run wires/etc/etc.

i received a full proposal of equipment from him, and want/need opinions - here is what he is suggesting

luxeon hd dlp cinema projector
perfect vu electric roll down 106'' screen
harmon kardon 7200 receiver
phillips 9638a progressive dvd/sach player
sonance cinema ultra 11 ceiling speakers
'' '' '' '' surrounds
'' '' '' '' sub woofer consisting of
1 sonance watt rack mount amp and
2 sonance in wall sub woofers

my questions/observations are on

luxeon - see no feedback on these units- good/bad?? - i think i would rather spend another couple of $$ and upgrade to a projector that has the new mustang chip.. or maybe like an infocus 7200 unit??

harmon kardon 7200 - the reports on this look ok, but it is not thx certified.. should i have him upgrade to the harmon k. 8000 that is thx certified?? or another unit

as to the screen/dvd, i have no clue and need help. i have sonance speakers thruout the house and am pleased with the sounds... unless there is something that is better

the room in the basement, will have no windows, hence completely dark.

thanks for all replies in advance

ron

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ronald, since the first item on your equipment list involves a specific projector, I have moved your post to Display Devices. Once you receive input, you can ask about the other components in the appropriate hardware-related areas. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level about home-theater essentials and definitions and concepts, not for specific advice about which brands and models to purchase. Good luck on assembling your system. JB

william-scooter

Stunt Coordinator
Can't speak to your particular projector but I will say that I purchased the infocus 7200 combined with a KDS Leeza Scaler.....The picture is unbelievable. I have had people over who watch for awhile and ask me what kind of TV and I have had to tell them it is a projector and that is with an obvious ceiling mount..the picture is that crisp..With the light control you will have I am sure you would get envious results as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks