What's new

New member, just got a projector.. I know nothing about this stuff! (1 Viewer)

Tahoebrian5

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Hello HTF, new member here. Just wanted to say hello before I ask a bunch of silly questions.

I live in Reno, NV, am a structural engineer by trade, like to build electronic stuff as a hobby, guitar amps, recording pres, etc.

I just bought the family a Optoma HD29Darbee projector, building a DIY screen out of PVC that I will prop up in front of the TV for movie nights, and also setup in the back yard for summer movies.

I just realized I have no idea what I’m doing as far as getting this stuff hooked up optimally and I need to get some surround sound in my life!

That’s it for now, please point me to some newbie threads if you have a minute.

Thx all, TB5

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Brian:

Welcome to the HTF! :welcome:

For best results, you're gonna wanna take that little bit of information and expand upon it (with those silly questions) in some of our other sub-forums!

Some of the key information to get started is a description of your space...and (I'm afraid) most importantly, your budget.

We just love to spend other people's money here! :D Just kidding. But we CAN help you figure out what would best suit your needs (or desires) and help you get the most bang for your buck.

Home theaters come in all shapes and sizes. No two are alike. And that is because of those three variables: the physical space, the budget, and what's most important to the owner (and sometimes their significant other!). :laugh:

My point is to start your own newbie threads and I think you'll find that we have lots of people here who are willing to help you out. (And post a link to your other thread(s) here in this introductory thread.

All the best!

Tahoebrian5

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Thanks for the welcome!

My budget is pretty much zero for now! I spent a whole bunch of money over the holidays and taking a little bit to recover. But that doesn’t mean I won’t PLAN my upcoming purchase. Knowing me it won’t be long before I’m enticed into buying an AV receiver and maybe some speakers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well I'll give you a starting place.

Several years ago my son brought an all-in-one Onkyo syste from Amazon. It comes with a receiver, speakers and powered subwoofer.

Here's the one he got back then (since discontinued. The S-5400).

Here's a more current Onkyo model. The S-5800.

And here's a less expensive Yamaha model which would get you started.

A powered subwoofer is a must. Don't look at systems with passive subwoofers.

As far as speakers, you can get 5.1...or 7.1...or 5.1.2 (which means you would get Atmos audio playback). The speakers and sub on my son's system really do a good job and can get loud.

So there are some ideas to get you started. ;)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oh. And one of the nice things about the Onkyo systems is that they are not proprietary. That is, individual pieces, say the receiver or the subwoofer, can be upgraded with new pieces when they stop working or you want to get something newer or shinier.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see (by reading your other thread) you've got a much greater grasp of HT issues than you let on here! :laugh:

Also, realize that if you check out that Onkyo 5800 set on Amazon you will see that there are also other comparable units which offer greater specs but are also priced accordingly. I only broached the 5800 set because you set $$$ was tight and I figure those Onkyo HT sets are just about the best way to get into the hobby with the lowest outlay.

Onkyo 7800

Onkyo 9700THX

You are gonna find, in your other thread, ALL KINDS of responses (all over the map) until you pin down a dollar figure for a budget. But maybe that's not a bad thing since you are in the planning stages. :thumbsup:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Hello HTF, new member here. Just wanted to say hello before I ask a bunch of silly questions.

I live in Reno, NV, am a structural engineer by trade, like to build electronic stuff as a hobby, guitar amps, recording pres, etc.

I just bought the family a Optoma HD29Darbee projector, building a DIY screen out of PVC that I will prop up in front of the TV for movie nights, and also setup in the back yard for summer movies.

I just realized I have no idea what I’m doing as far as getting this stuff hooked up optimally and I need to get some surround sound in my life!

That’s it for now, please point me to some newbie threads if you have a minute.

Thx all, TB5

Nice choice in projector. you can't go wrong with DLP from Optoma. Are you into 3D Blu-Ray? It is so much fun, and you have the perfect projector for it.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I hired an AV tech to install my projection system. He did it fast, he got me some terrific deals on equipment I needed and it's done right. It was worth the extra cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks