New member, but....(long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Mig, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

I have been coming here as a voyeur for almost a year now, mostly spending lots of time learning while putting together my theater. I figured I was here so much anyway, I might as well register and get involved.
    A little about me. I am 24 and moved to the St. Louis area almost 2 years ago from Philly. I just graduated from college and got a job with one of the big 3 automakers here. I am a maintenance supervisor, which basically means I work close to 70-80 hours a week, usually 7 days. It really isn't bad since we get overtime which helped me with my little home theater addiction. Here's my setup:
    TV: Mits ws-65819
    Recvr: Denon 4800
    DVD: Panny RP-91
    Speakers: Studio 100's
    Studio 20's
    Studio CC
    Servo 15
    CD: Old Sony 200 disc changer (next upgrade!)
    I also have a computer I built hooked up to this stuff, but haven't tried the HTPC route. I might soon.
    And to make everyone here feel better I will include a story about my horrible day Friday.
    At work I found out that they had to hold jobs in the lot and not ship them so they could check a part was within spec. Without going into detail, it is my job to make sure production has the proper tool for the job, and I didn't have anything for them when the online tool quit running properly. Almost everything was getting over torqued. I had many other problems and this one slipped through. This went on for a while. I can just now sit after the butt chewing i got. Then after work I was going to go see my girlfriend. It was snowing and I lost control around a right turn and slid into the oncoming lane and had a head on collision. Noone was hurt though. My girlfriend came and got me and we went back to my house to just relax and forget the accident. Then while flipping the channel to Starz East, which i get in Dolby Digital, the sound goes out. Not uncommon for brief amounts of time with my dish so I just change the channel. Still no sound. Tried to listen to a cd, nothing, DVD also nothing. I'm thinking the thing just died. I did the reboot trick and the CD sound works through analog inputs but still nothing through any digital input. I just quit before I really upset and still haven't had the heart to really examine the problem to see whats up. My girlfriend couldn't understand why i was more upset about my receiver not working instead of the fact that I probably just totalled my car [​IMG]
    "That is just ridiculous", her quote when first seeing the 65 inch widescreen. Maybe she can change, I don't think I can.
    Can't wait to start many discussions with all of you.
    Mike

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Maybe she meant it was ridiculous that you didn't have a 8' front projection system [​IMG]
    Welcome to the HTF! Your setup exceeds mine by a wide margin.

3. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Welcome to the Forum, Mike. I,like you, have been a lurker for quite a while and don't post much, but the forum has given me a wealth of information. As for your bad day, well it seems that has been going around here lately. Nice setup by the way.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Another General Motors employee? Welcome to the forum!

Crawdaddy

5. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Welcome to your worst nightmare! hahahaha [​IMG]
    But really, welcome... I look forward to talking with you... and I hope you brought a LOT of cash [​IMG]

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Welcome! you'll love it here! [​IMG]
    Rob: just saw your sig pic [​IMG] Rob lutter, making a fool of himself, one step at a time [​IMG]

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Welcome to the forum, Mike!
    You're going to spend more money.
    But in a twisted way, we can explain that you actually save a lot of money. So it's definitely worth it to become an active member [​IMG].
    Well, as a lurker, you already know we don't exclusively discuss HT-stuff. But it is the subject we like most. Let those discussions begin! [​IMG]
    Cees

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome officially. Nice gear mate!

10. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Wahay, welcome to the ...[checks heading] HTF, yeah! erm ...[checks first post]Mike, the only forum where the admins are driven to drink and early retirement by the plebian masses.
    You're safe here, just don't mention the war [any war], I did once and had 1000 posts taken away as punishment, and was demoted to 'small member', very embarrassing I can tell you.[​IMG]
    And watch out for that Kristou fella, last seen overpowering his nurse and heading this way, yaaaaaarrgghhh!!![ha! beat you to it guys][​IMG]
    Rains nostrils should be making an appearance about now. [​IMG]

11. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

12. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Mike, welcome to the forum! Now, there is one thing we need to get out of the way: Emmanuelle Beart is MINE! All mine, I tell ya! Mine, mine, mine!!!
    Granted, she doesn't know that yet, but give it time... [​IMG]

14. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Welcome to Paradise Mike. [​IMG]
    Jon

15. Mike_Mig

Mike_Mig Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

There is no way I could root for Any team but the Eagles. Never. I didn't watch a Rams game all year, and I don't think I missed anything.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

16. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick

17. Rain

Rain Producer

Welcome aboard, Mike. [​IMG]
    You'll be glad you went ahead and registered.