New Member 1st Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lance Dahl, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Lance Dahl

Lance Dahl Agent

I am looking to get a HDTV next month and have just started the research. I really like the Toshiba sets for the price. What is the diference between the 56h80 type model and the 57HX81 series sets. H vs HX. Huppins here in town has some great deals now one the H models. (onecall) for you internet guys. Thanks for the help!! What a great site!

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I am guessing that the HX series is this year's model, and the H series is last year's model. Sorry, but I don't know the differences between the two model years.
    Welcome to the forum!
    - Steve
    ------------------

3. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Steve is correct the HX is the 2002 model. To see the different features in the two sets go to www.toshiba.ca or www.toshiba.com these sites should list the comparison features.
    There have been reports on this site that the newer sets are far improved over last year set. However that does not surprise most people because newer is supposed to be better or they would not be able to sell their product.
    I have a 56 H 80 and I am satisfied. I understand that the 57HX 81 is not available yet only the 50 in is generally available.
    Of course if you are buying last year set I am certain they will be a significant price advantage.
    Good shopping

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

The ones ending in 81 are the new models (2002). The added 'X' is about $300 and has some better parts and an anti-glare screen, because the non-X models have a little problem with glare unless your room can be darkened.
    OneCall says that they have the HX81 models available, and I think a couple of members here have already purchased them. I'm looking into the 50HX81, and am trying to get another etailer to get it for me.
    Glenn

5. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

The cheapest I have found the 50HX81 is $2200 delivered from http://www.continentaltrade.com .
    Shipping is free and no tax if you live outside NY state.
    I am getting the 57HX81 delivered in 2 weeks.
    I saw the 50HX81 at Tweeter this weekend, it looked great.
    jeff peake

6. Lance Dahl

Lance Dahl Agent

Ok I think I have decided on the 57HX81 I have found this through a group purchase on the web for a very good price. My only concern is work on it if it ever needs to be done, has anyone ever had any problems with warranty work from a web vendor? I would most likely buy an extended warranty from a outside source. Any comments would be appreciated.