What's new

New Media Room With Epson 5020 Tips (1 Viewer)

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
I recently had my media room built, which includes an Epson 5020. Now I am trying to take baby-steps to learn about all the equipment I have. I want to walk before I run, so I am just trying to start with basic functionalty settings/features. So I am looking for any tips that you guys might have for someone new to to projectors, etc.

For example, I notice when some light is on, the picture does get washed away a bit, especially if the movie is dark, like the Avengers. I would like to improve the dark performance. I have heard that there are some settings, like "eco" based stuff that make the picture more dim or something like that. I looked in the menu but didnt see what I expected. Any suggestions on improving this performance or finding how mine is setup now? All I saw was like "power mode" or something, which was set to "eco".

Any tips on the projector or anything else, please let me know.

Thanks!

Here is my list of equipment:

Projector: Epson 5020
Screen: Carada 100" white
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-53
Speakers: MartinLogan 5.1
BluRay: Oppo BD-103
Remote: Control4 System

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
In order to walk you will first need to read your owners manual. In it you will find info on "eco" mode and other useful information about your new projector.

Good light control is very important in front projection and theres no way around that. You can throw a brighter image in a bright room, and that will combat some of your wash out issues, but it will also turn your blacks into a grey color. There are projection screens like the "Black Diamond" but be prepared to fork over big money for the privilege of ownership. See a demo video here:

Painting your walls a dark color will give you better contrast and black level performance. However even with dark walls the same rule will still apply and there is still no substitute for turning off the light.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Few additions concerning getting the most out of your lamp:Lamp life is affected by power cycles, ie turning the projector on and off, so go ahead and use it for a couple hours when you turn it on.Every time you hit that Off button it will likely need a minute or two to cool so avoid sudden power losses or sudden unplugs during use.I got 3 year lamp (up to two lamps) insurance for $150 when I first purchased the projector. If its an option for you, and its a substantial savings over no insurance lamp replacement and you tend to put substantial hours on your lamp (you are going to...arent you???), then obviously spending additional on insurance is money well spent.To maintain constant brightness over the life of the lamp I will; Open manual iris (if so equipped) in small steps as I notice dimming, operate in eco until I notice dimming at full open aperture and then finally increase lamp to high (or normal as the case may be) and adjust manual iris ascending again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks