new marantz vs old marantz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Casey N, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Casey N

Casey N Auditioning

what is the difference between the marantz sr4300 and the sr4400?

i can get the sr4300 for two thirds of the price of the sr4400, which one should i get?

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Hmm ... Ironically, the specs for the 4300 and 4400 look the same. Same power rating, etc. My guess is that the 4400 might not even offer Dolby Pro Logic IIx - unless Marantz slips the upgrade in down the road on new receivers coming off the assembly line.

In this case, you still might want to spring for the 4300 - given it's better prices. I had a chance to listen to the 4400 is a home theater - projector, in-wall speakers, 100" screen, and a sub. The 4400 (at 6 x 80 watts) was quite powerful while watching the movie - and only 5 speaker outputs were being used. At first, I saw the theater and the nice gear - but, kind of wondered why the 4400 was used instead of bumping up a little further in the food chain. Then, I realized that it provided adequate power and looked like it was simple enough to operate, so the homeowner would have little issues.

I wish I could have dug up more info to determine the true differences between the 4300 and 4400 - but, feel they are quite minimal - at best.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    New DACs. Other than that, I don't think there are any significant differences.

4. Casey N

Casey N Auditioning

excuse my stupidity but what are DAC's?

5. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

Digital to analog converters.

Better DAC=Better sound quality (usually)