What's new

New Marantz receivers may be the answer to my prayer. (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I went to a local showroom today to try to pick the employees' brains about upcoming products. The guy I talked to was not very polite, and seemed to be in a hurry to get me out of the store. This is probably because they are not really a retail store -- although they do just sell hardware too -- but they are actually a costum install company that does everything from A/V consulting to building the room. The reason I went in there is because they are authorized dealers for my two favorite brands... Marantz and Onkyo Integra. Here is what the guy ended up telling me.
Marantz will in fact be replacing the SR-7000 and SR-8000 as was rumored on this very board several months ago. They will *most likely* include 6.1 matrix processing capabilities of both flavors. The replacement for the higher end model is more likely to carry the ES discrete flavor but they also both might have it or neither, depending on if Marantz tries to protect its higher end models' feature set. They could also have DPLII depending on how long the receivers have been in the works. I understand that the replacements will be in the same price range as the models they are replacing. I have always liked the sound of Marantz with Paradigm speakers (which is what I have) and I am hoping this will be the receiver that has it all at a competative price. If Marantz decides not to include all the goodies, I dont know how they are going to compete with Denon and Onkyo.
------------------
0277.gif
0309.gif
0286.gif
0289.gif

My DVD "Profile"
The start of my Home Theater website

Han

Second Unit
Wow, mid-June? They're trying to sneak up on us or something? :) No mention at CES 2001 or HE on any articles I've read. Just the 19EX receiver. Anyway, I'm interested in seeing what features these two have, and their prices. I'm pretty confident in Marantz's sound quality.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
No mention at CES 2001 or HE on any articles I've read.
Yeah, I find it hard to beleive too, but the guy practically turned me away at the door when he heard what features I wanted, so I have tendancy to beleive him. I think he told me because he has some acutal info and he wants to see me back in the store when they have something that meets my needs.
------------------
0277.gif
0309.gif
0286.gif
0289.gif

My DVD "Profile"
The start of my Home Theater website

Francois Gr

Auditioning
Real Name
Francois
If you have not found their specs yet, here is the new Marantz Range line :
1°) SR-7200
- 6 x 105W
- DD "circle surround" (they cannot call it EX, as it is not THX)
- DTS ES matrix
- DPL II
- YUV input/output
- 24 bits/192 kHz converters
2°)SR-6200
same as 7200, without YUV i/o and 24/192 converters (24/96 instead)
3°) SR-5200
same as 6200, but 6 x 85W
4°) SR-4200
- 5 x 70W
- DD
- DTS
- DPL II
- 24/96 converters
I have the prices as well, but for France. Therefore, they are to be taken with extreme care :
SR-7200 ± 973USD
SR-6200 ± 778USD
SR-5200 ± 648USD
SR-4200 ± 518USD
(source : "Les Années Laser", French magazine)

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
i've been bugging my local retailer once i heard that these are coming out. originally he was told mid may but now he says that it's looking more like july.
------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
>- DD "circle surround" (they cannot call it EX, as it is not THX)
Fair enough.
- DTS ES matrix
MATRIX? Who gives a fuck about matrix? The competition have discrete you know and discrete is always better than matrix as any HTF peon would know.
- DPL II
Ok.
T.

Francois Gr

Auditioning
Real Name
Francois
Yes, a few things puzzle me as well in this news :
1°) The DTS matrix thing, I hope the info is not accurate on this one.
2°) Will the bass management be improved on these new receivers (really NOT a strong feature on the present models)
3°) I noticed on the pictures at :http://www.annees-laser.com/test_matos.php3?who=1&id=11
that the SR-7200 is "MADE IN CHINA". Ok I should not cry wolf before testing the beast, but my SR-7000 is made in Japan !!!

GregoriusM

Second Unit
It's funny. It's seems like not very long ago that the "Made in Japan" logo on the back of something meant to the user that it was probably an inferior product. Now many want it on the back of their product.
Now, it's "Made in China". lol
There are some great things being made in China these days. Probably a lot more items you own than you think have at least some components made there. The rest of the world is developing technologically, not just the U.S. and Japan.
..... just my musings.
... Greg
------------------
.... just me up on my pony on my boat.

The salesman that I dealed with told me there would be a Marantz SR-12 and that it would have an outboard power supply. I don't know if this is true but it might be as the guy was usually right (he got fired, though).

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
MATRIX? Who gives a fuck about matrix? The competition have discrete you know and discrete is always better than matrix as any HTF peon would know
Yes of course discrete is better,but the Studios not exactly "killing" each other to produce those titles.
BTW the possible exeption of Outlaw's receiver, all DD EX[matrix,or what ever they call them these days,dodging to pay for THX'
cool.gif
]will "decode" DTS ES matrix soundtracks as well.
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

RyanL

Stunt Coordinator
What happened to June I wonder? I've been holding out waiting to see what marantz has. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.
------------------
Paradigm Monitor 90P's
Paradigm Reference CC-450
Paradigm Titans
Aura Bass Shakers (2)
Marantz 1550
Aiwa 8" Sub
JVC RX-884vbk (reciever)
JVC XV-501bk (DVD player)
Sharp Hi-Fi VCR
Sony 27V20 27" Trinitron TV

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
what happened to June
Same thing that always happens with these manufacturers. I think they tease us to wait. If this thing came out in October, I might still be waiting for it with all the manufacturers just saying "next month" or "about a month and a half" or "before september"
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
i talked to a local dealer who tells me that the 4200 through 6200 should be in in the next few weeks whereas the 7200 won't be in for another few months... he's gonna give me a call as soon as any of them show up.
------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A few MONTHS? I was looking at the 7000, and when the salesperson told me about the 7200, I decided to wait because he said mid-July. Based upon the specs posted, the 7200 is definitely the one I'm interested in, but I'm not sure I want to wait another 2 or 3 months...
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks