New Marantz 7300 specs question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AndrewBest, Sep 30, 2002.

1. AndrewBest

AndrewBest Extra

So I've been trying to keep up with all the latest info on the new Marantz's. So far everything looks good, but the one thing Marantz is keeping silent on is their bass management. This is an important factor considering that the current models are fixed at 100Hz. If anyone has any info on this please post here.

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Andrew,

This isn't for sure, but in another thread, I read that it will have the same 100Hz fixed, but maybe marantz could consider 80Hz.

I'm also waiting for SR7300.

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
  4. AndrewBest

AndrewBest Extra

Dalton,

Thanks for the links. I have seen them before, unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the x-over freq.

If anyone else out there gets any tangible evidence pertaining to this issue please feel free to post.

We all know that Marantz produces a fairly musical receiver (and very well built), but I think that Marantz has the ability to take the home theater receiver market by the reins if they would just give consumers what they need for proper bass management.

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Andrew,
    Having owned both the 7000 and 7200 i am guessing Marantz will stick with the 100 hz crossover unfortunetly[​IMG]

6. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I have the 7000. It kills me. Implimenting an adjustable x-over should not be that big of a deal for an AVR in that price range. I spoke with a Marantz rep one time about this. According to him:

The reason for this was that having a fixed x-over at 100hz is more conducive to the accurate reproduction of technically challenging music. Especially musical bass, that can be lost in smaller mains, even with an external sub. Keeping the sloping nature of x-overs in mind: The mains will be asked to handle material well below the actual x-over point and if the mains aren't up to the task, the reproduction could be compromised. Having it fixed at 100hz (allegedly) ensures a smoother transition from mains to sub.

I have to say, it sounded like a pretty good justification. Who knows? Maybe the guy was feeding me a line of BS. As for myself. After experimenting ad-naseum with external x-overs. My room/equipment gave a smoother response at 100. But I found the actual audible difference between 100hz and 80hz to be barely perceptible.

--Steve

7. Iain

Iain Agent

Not to get anyone too excited, but I just noticed that under "features" for the SR7300, "Variable X-over" was checked. (See the 2002 catalog.) Does this relate to the bass management issue? (And maybe someone can explain why it's so important - although it's a moot point for me since I can only afford the 5300 which doesn't have this feature.)
    Cheers, Iain

8. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Ian,