What's new

New Marantz 7300 specs question (1 Viewer)

AndrewBest

Grip
So I've been trying to keep up with all the latest info on the new Marantz's. So far everything looks good, but the one thing Marantz is keeping silent on is their bass management. This is an important factor considering that the current models are fixed at 100Hz. If anyone has any info on this please post here.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Andrew,

This isn't for sure, but in another thread, I read that it will have the same 100Hz fixed, but maybe marantz could consider 80Hz.

I'm also waiting for SR7300.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Andrew,
Try this link for some info.
Link Removed
And here is the manual:
Link Removed
Looks like a newly designed remote also. I like the new features they have added over the 7200 i had previously. Looks like it could be a nice piece.

AndrewBest

Grip
Dalton,

Thanks for the links. I have seen them before, unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the x-over freq.

If anyone else out there gets any tangible evidence pertaining to this issue please feel free to post.

We all know that Marantz produces a fairly musical receiver (and very well built), but I think that Marantz has the ability to take the home theater receiver market by the reins if they would just give consumers what they need for proper bass management.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Andrew,
Having owned both the 7000 and 7200 i am guessing Marantz will stick with the 100 hz crossover unfortunetly:frowning:

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I have the 7000. It kills me. Implimenting an adjustable x-over should not be that big of a deal for an AVR in that price range. I spoke with a Marantz rep one time about this. According to him:

The reason for this was that having a fixed x-over at 100hz is more conducive to the accurate reproduction of technically challenging music. Especially musical bass, that can be lost in smaller mains, even with an external sub. Keeping the sloping nature of x-overs in mind: The mains will be asked to handle material well below the actual x-over point and if the mains aren't up to the task, the reproduction could be compromised. Having it fixed at 100hz (allegedly) ensures a smoother transition from mains to sub.

I have to say, it sounded like a pretty good justification. Who knows? Maybe the guy was feeding me a line of BS. As for myself. After experimenting ad-naseum with external x-overs. My room/equipment gave a smoother response at 100. But I found the actual audible difference between 100hz and 80hz to be barely perceptible.

--Steve

Iain

Agent
Not to get anyone too excited, but I just noticed that under "features" for the SR7300, "Variable X-over" was checked. (See the 2002 catalog.) Does this relate to the bass management issue? (And maybe someone can explain why it's so important - although it's a moot point for me since I can only afford the 5300 which doesn't have this feature.)
Cheers, Iain

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Ian,

Variable X-over" was checked, And maybe someone can explain why it's so important
The cross over is filter that will separate frecuecies (low and high), and the idea is to send the signal to where it will best reproduced. So it will depend your speakers specs and designs. To have a good blend for me the speakers should handle 15-20Hz lower than the crossover specs says.

But it all comes to preferences, setings and setups. For me is like looking for the best crossover for my speakers (JBL S26), they can handle 55Hz according to specs. So I want to try a 80Hz crossover and what is the best sounding set up.

Many entry-mid level receivers have a 100Hz fixed crossover, and not all the setups are the same, maybe you have mains that could easily handle 80Hz and could be a better blend in your set up.

The 100Hz is for me the best setting you could put in a receiver not knowing what speakers you will use (cubes, bookshelfs or floorstanding, etc), but if you know what do you have and what are your speakers capable, then you would want best setting your speakers could handle.

Many say (as well as THX) that the crossover should be at 80Hz, because of a lot of reasons, one of them is because you cant locate the sound 80Hz or lower. But with 100Hz it is almost imposible to locate as well. But I would like very much if the the 7300 had a 80Hz as well as 100Hz so I could see which sounds best with my speakers.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks