New mall has a BOSE store!! Can't wait to...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Can't wait to AVOID that one!! I walked by yesterday and looked in the window. It was remarkably empty. :) I cringed when someone mentioned them ... describing them as a high-end audio company. :-(

I might have to go and listen to the wave radio. I need a new radio in my guest bathroom. That would surely impress all the guests! ;-)

2. StevieC

StevieC Extra

Well it just shows you what marketing can do.

It is a free country maybe some folks really do want a brand named item for their audio gear.

Just be glad we can choose what gear we buy :)

BTW The new mall Bose store here in Silicon Valley usually has lots of folks in it. And you would think with all the techies out here... hmmmm Just makes you wonder, the power of marketing.

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

You're dead-on abou the power of marketing. A few years ago, my Dad bought a Wave-CD Player from them for a touch over 1000 bucks...he was so pissed afterwords because it didn't sound as good as his 10 year old $400 setup.

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Hey Bill,

I may take the time to go check out the mall in the future due to overcrowding right now. I kept thinking of going and just bothering the BOSE guys, but it's not worth it. I'll probably stop by the BOSE store and check out the equipment "behind the curtain though." It's about time NC got a mall, now if they'd only stop swinging their shirts around their head and just put them on..

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

StevieC,

what mall are you talking about? Is it Westgate? If so, where's the store?

6. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Mall is in Durham, NC. Very new with a very nice design/layout. BOSE has a store in the 'outside' section. The mall has a traditional section ('inside') and a 'streets' section ('outside'). I like it very much.

I wouldn't go there for the BOSE, but if you want to play with some of the new Macintosh computers, head on over. I've been toying with the idea of getting a mac desktop for my wife. Macs have some nice functions for people with visual impairments.

Other than those and a few other stores, I'd classify the mall as a woman's mall. The majority of stores are women's clothes or jewelry...moreso than other malls it seemed to me. Maybe it was just my impression though.

7. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

8. Elbert Lee

Elbert Lee Supporting Actor

I know that it's almost common policy for the HT community to bash Bose (and almost Monster Cable to some extent), and I defnitely agree that most of the Bose products aren't worth nearly what they are sold for. However, I don't believe that they are pure junk and I think that the Bose components and speakers are well balanced and can be appropriate for a SMALL segment of the non critical consumer who is looking for hidden, sound system.

Bang and Olufsen is definitely overpriced, but then one does get a lot more cosmetics for the $$$ than for the sound.

Elbert

9. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

10. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I agree with Wayne. [​IMG]

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Bill said:

12. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

would it not be funny...sneek into the mall at close....

Take the "B" of the bose..add an H and and r..

Watch the look when they come into "Hoser" instead of bose.

Oh well.. I thought it was funny:b

13. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Be better to replace your "H" with an "L" to make it "Loser"
    [​IMG]

14. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Just curious, anyone ever wnated to go into one of those places and politely "steer" customers away from those products by jumping in a sales pitch from a Bose rep? I could imagine the look on his/her face when you start asking questions about frequency response or DD EX oe DTS-ES options to name a few... [​IMG]

15. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

The new evangelists....

Something comes to mind about getting a life. All this energy and emotion expended because a mediocre product has achieved market stature.

Move along, there's nothing to see here.

16. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

I probably just like anybody else here, just hate to see peolpe getting "ripped off". There are better products for less money, for sure.

What some people do have to realize is that some people really like the sound of Bose. Like one of my friends, he doesn't really like the highs of my Klipsch and thinks my bass is too powerful (atleast with my last system). This is just my view on the whole thing.

17. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Bill, if you get a chance, sit in on their slideshow demonstration. I think it is called "Sounds of Life." Then take a look to see what electronics they are powering their cube speakers with, and ask them about it. I saw something in a Bose demo a few weaks ago that I want to see verified by someone else here.

18. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Thanks,

Officer Brady.

Eric, I'll try and verify.

19. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I love going into the Bose outlet near by and telling potential customers (the ones who look like deer in headlights) that they can do much better for the same or less money....[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i suggest taking some decent (but cheaper) equipment into the store and seeing if they'll live up to their 'reputation' by letting you do a side-by-side demo. i saw one of these on our road trip the other day and was really wishing there was one in our hometown so i could do just that. my JBL NSP-1/Onkyo setup would surely blow anything they have away.