New Mains, Help???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Hank Edwards, Jun 6, 2003.

1. Hank Edwards

Hank Edwards Extra

Howdy from Texas,
    I am considering new front mains for my HT. I currently have the Klipsch Quintet and KSW 10 sub. I feel my system lacks in the midrange dept. My room is Approx. 16'x19' and I think I would to like to add floorstanding speakers. I am leaning tward the athena line due to budget restrictions, and to the fact that I haven't heard any negative feedback on them. My questions are will a floorstanding speaker with a 8" and tweeter fill the void that I am looking for? Will the sound become two bass heavy. would a bookshelf with a 5.25 and tweeter be a better choice? Will my center chanel that came with the Quintet package keep up?

Thanks in advance
    Hank Edwards

2. Hank Edwards

Hank Edwards Extra

Anyone???

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Hank,

Welcome to HTF,

Sometimes it takes time for people to get involve in the forums, sometimes it is very fast, but be patient. I will try to answer you questions as much as I can, but many of it will be baised on my personal experiences and prefences.

4. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

If you like the Kilpsch sound and are trying to keep a tight budget try a high line of mains and center and keep the Quintet surrounds.

What is your budget? Goals with your system? the rest of your equipment? do you want to replace the sub? all this info will help us give you more input.

5. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Hank:

I don't know what your budget is, but if you are looking for new main speakers and considering floor standing speakers, there is one speaker that is an incredible deal and will give you better sound than you ever dreamed possible.

Check out the Magnepan MMGs, available from Magnepan directly for $550 (delivered to your door). I have them and they are incredible, easily sounding like $2000+ speakers. If you want more, these babys will do it and more. You will hear sounds that you did not know even existed on the soundtrack or on the CD. Also, you get 60 days to return them for a full refund if you don't like them (which I doubt, however). There is no cleaner, more realistic sounding speaker out there (totally different technology than cone speakers). If you want to hear them first, find the Magnepan dealer in your area and listen to the Magnepan MG12s, which are very similar in size and sound. Furthermore, in a HT setup, they are simply amazing. They totally disappear (no boxiness), and the soundtrack sounds like the movie theater.

I can't recommend them enough, but you have to hear them to understand how much cleaner and better sounding they are.