New main speaker options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DwightK, Mar 14, 2002.

1. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

I would like to know if you all have any suggestions for upgrades for my main speakers. I'm currently using Phase Tech 4.5T's as mains and rears and have one Phase Tech PC-3 as my center and SVS16-46 subby. The 4.5's in front are screaming to be used as surrounds in my bedroom[​IMG]
    The PC-3 center uses a soft dome tweeter and is a full 3-way speaker. I have no, none, zero opportunity to demo anything within a 3 hour drive as there are no stores in my world worth beans. The store that sells Phase Tech is ummmm... well they don't even have a 5.1 setup to listen to for any speakers let alone a listening room. I love the PC-3's neutral, musical sound. Was a great deal. Unfortunately I don't believe I can find 2 more PC-3's anywhere for a reasonable price as the model has been replaced this year.
    About my only options locally are the newer PC-3.1's or 2.1's (more money) or maybe some 7.5T floor standing speakers which has the same tweeter, sorta, but way different woof. I also believe there is NHT an hour away but they don't use soft dome tweeters.
    Any possible matches other than that I already mentioned? Would kinda like to stay under 400-500 each. I don't know if floor standers would work as I have a couch arm kinda close to the left main.
    Oh, Yamaha 1200 receiver if that matters.

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

How big is your room? Any major placement restrictions? What %HT/music? You would probably do well to try out Phase Techs 7.5 speakers. Good luck!

3. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Room is 11.5 X 21 X 8 with the HT along the short side, no placement restrictions. Almost all HT, 95%?, the music I listen to is classical for the most part.

4. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Ended up with the 3.1's. I didn't need the extra bass umph of the 7.5T's and the PC series just fits my ears.

Oh, Phase Tech is discontinuing the PC 2.1 and replacing it with a 1.1 Series 2 and adding a 3.1 Series 2. No idea of the sound difference as the BMS didn't have them in but they are supposed some different soft dome tweeters. This means some good deals to be had on the 2.1's at a minimum. got a nice deal today anyways.