1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New Magazine Idea

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jaime, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Jaime

Jaime Auditioning

So what do y'all think about this idea... I want to start a magazine that focuses more on "budget" equipment. For instance, we would review home theater in a box systems, low price dvd players, etc. This would give anyone who is on a tight budget (which is most of us) a place to find reviews and articles on stuff we can afford. It seems like there is a huge market for this sort of thing. Most all of the Home Theater magazines that I keep up with focus more on the upper end of equipment. Let me know![​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm at a loss as to where to put your post, Jaime. It doesn't belong in Basics, and though we've had magazine-related threads in Software I'm still uncertain why that is. Hence, After Hours.

3. wally

wally Second Unit

I think DVD Etc. does a good job at covering "budget" as well as higher end equipment. It's well written and has become my travel habit. I just wish more airport kiosks carried it.

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    The problem as I see it is keeping such a magazine going. The high-end mags continue to sell since the audiophiles, even after buying their equipment, stay in touch to see what's the latest and greatest, with a view to satisfying upgradeitis.

The budget-types would buy once and forget. A print magazine that comes out monthly would therefore at best attract those who happened to be in the market for an HTiB that month, assuming they'd even ever heard of the magazine in the first place.

The market doesn't seem big enough to sustain such magazine in the long run, laudable as its objective might be. The casual HTiB buyer is probably only reached through small sections of a DVD magazine, or the "down-market" section of a higher-end mag. Or through an online resource.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    The magazine you're looking for is called "Consumer Reports" [​IMG]

As a low- to mid-range buyer ($200 - $600), I've been frustrated over the years by a lack of good information on that level equipment. And my conclusion is the same as Yee-Mings: there is no money to be made with that crowd. The big-spenders are enthusiasts and upgrade frequently. They drive the high-end magazines. The very frugal buyers go after Consumer Reports. And the mid-level buyers don't represent enough revenue or repeat business to sustain a dedicated magazine.

I think it's the same as with the auto industry: there's no car enthusiast magazine for people buy family sedans and drive them for seven years (except for Consumer Reports).