What's new

New Mac Pro can be maxed out at $52K - buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, OK, but IF anyone 1.5TB of RAM in it, they wouldn't pay Apple prices when they can install it themselves for less than half the price. And nobody would ever pay Apple prices for a big SSD, with all the options available at a fraction of the cost.

But, anyway, that's Apple for ya.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
upload_2019-12-10_11-34-25.png
FYI my buddy got it slightly higher than 52K...and you can slap the newest Apple Display for a cool 60K total.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I read the article earlier today and I just couldn't stop laughing. No real reason as I sure there's is some application out there that a 60K computer might be useful, but in a non commercial setup I'm having a hard time conceiving what it might be.

I haven't gone through and tried to add it up, but what's the power consumption of the maxed out unit and would you have to factor in a dedicated generator to run it?

How does the computing power of this unit compare to a true SuperComputer, much less something like IBM Watson

If Watson and Siri got together is a cloud, would their babies be both brilliant and beautiful too?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have no need nor likely ever will come close to understanding the whole idea of this, but I will admit I am highly entertained watching these.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I started looking today for work but it's not currently in our budget. If one of my proposals gets funded though...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In looking at the unboxing, I’m certainly tempted to finally upgrade to a new Mac. My Mac Pro is from 2012 so it’s maxed to Mojave. I’ll be studying the specs to best determine a configuration that makes sense.

I can see that once anyone sees that display stand, they’d appreciate the build quality and functionality. Yes, it’s crazy expensive.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
In looking at the unboxing, I’m certainly tempted to finally upgrade to a new Mac. My Mac Pro is from 2012 so it’s maxed to Mojave. I’ll be studying the specs to best determine a configuration that makes sense.

I can see that once anyone sees that display stand, they’d appreciate the build quality and functionality. Yes, it’s crazy expensive.
My Mac Pro is 2009, so stuck on El Capitan. If this one also lasts for 11 years, I guess it is worth it - but still, that Mac Pro cost ~$2000 (I had an older Apple Cinema Display).
Mostly my 2009 is my HTPC (it hasn't had a monitor for years). The main trouble (cost aside) is that the MPEG Streamclip app I regularly use to edit my TiVO recordings is a dead (upgrade wise -- 32bit app, so Catalina will kill it). And, basically there is no existing equivalent.

For sure I'll wait, I would absolutely go for the full 8TB SSD which doesn't exist yet.
Also, I'd like to see other versions of https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMUE2ZM/A/promise-pegasus-r4i-32tb-raid-mpx-module-for-mac-pro
maybe OWC will release their own, more reasonably priced version.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I think what most people are missing about the new Mac Pro is that it’s designed specifically for industry professionals who need a computer to do some very heavy lifting. This machine isn’t intended for 99% of the buying public.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think what most people are missing about the new Mac Pro is that it’s designed specifically for industry professionals who need a computer to do some very heavy lifting. This machine isn’t intended for 99% of the buying public.
Oh, we got that. The only thing is how they totally went against the history of the Mac Pro, which also had a mid-2K tier for the aspiring professional. This is the first time ever that a build started anywhere near this high.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The main trouble (cost aside) is that the MPEG Streamclip app I regularly use to edit my TiVO recordings is a dead (upgrade wise -- 32bit app, so Catalina will kill it). And, basically there is no existing equivalent.
Handbrake + MKVToolnix, or even iMovie?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There may be year end money to spend at a client site. I’m asking them not to buy a $50k computer, but instead ten $5k computers. You gotta *need* the power for that kinda machine. And they don’t, they need speed high end consumer class computers, with money better spent on the expensive software.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks