What's new

New Mac? Fix old Mac? Options? (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
You might want to try running AHT if you haven't already. You also probably want to jump into the console and look at what the logs are saying. They may point to the problem.

-KeithP

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Concluding this exciting tale of woe: my wife's new 27" iMac arrived today. I get her 2009 24" iMac. The failing MBP, I might install windows and fiddle with WMC. Or eBay it as parts to get a few bucks out of it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Previously in the thread I was tearing my hair out over crashing Migration Assistant on the 2009 24" iMac. It gave me troubles, crashing the transfer from 24" to 27".

However, I made a SuperDuper! backup from the 24" and used MA without issue that way. The 27" setup was easy and essentially flawless. The easiest computer transition I've done.

After a day's checkout that the 27"was fine and none of my wife's data was lost1 , I wiped and did a fresh install of OS X to the 24" (from a bootable USB drive. Why didn't I know about this years ago! The only way to go!) I used MA to restore my account from a SuperDuper! I made the night before...and perfect. No problems.

Whatever was wrong with MA last month, was specific to five years digital cruft. It has worked as brilliantly as Jobs might have imagined it.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I had just the opposite this weekend. 7 @W%@%@ updates and restarts of Windows 8 on my Dads laptop and it still isnt done.How the F do windows people do it? I am never updating my game box and my win 8 laptop is the last I will ever buy.For all the shit people give apple for the "It just works" attitude, if you understand what they are doing and don't circomvent it with stupid shit like jailbreaks and things that defeat the OS, it just works.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple's updates keep getting easier with the AppStore. I'm slowly moving myself to the AppStore as I can. I get annoyed that I can't re-buy old applications on it, such as SuperDuper! or simple things like Logitech's Harmony app.I have kooky problems with my Macs; like MA on the 24" simply failing, inexplicably, until I do a clean reinstall. (that caused me a lot of headache the past few months) Digital cruft hits OS X just as it does Windows.But, yeah, I don't miss the never-ending reboot cycle of Windows 98 / XP / 7. I don't miss its (literally) hundreds of updates, and the time reviewing them and deciding if I really want to install the 4.0.10.9.9 rev of some Framework.I also find the integration between OS X and iOS very helpful. Calendar, Notes, Reminders. Even Numbers. This stuff basically "just works" and makes my life easier.This weekend has been the fastest I've ever setup computers. Basically two days to migrate two accounts to two different computers and have it 99.9% dont. I think I only have to setup BackBlaze to be complete; and I'm slow rolling the backup system to make sure everything's ok before losing stable backups.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Time Machine wouldn't recognize my old backups. I guess moving my account from a MBP to an iMac, and then doing a clean-install of the iMac, got the user account confused. There was probably a way to fix it, but I've wasted too much time on these migration issues. I formatted my TM drive, deleting my rolling backups (going back to 2009) and started a new.

Same for BackBlaze. Deleted my previous online historical archive and started anew, to easily get the replacement computer working with my license.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks