What's new

New, Low-Carb Coke (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I will forever believe that Coke had no intention of permanently ceasing production of original Coke, and that New Coke was created only to garner attention and ultimately more shelf space. Anyone who thinks Coke would kill one of the most successful products in the history of civilization is naive.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I will forever believe that Coke had no intention of permanently ceasing production of original Coke, and that New Coke was created only to garner attention and ultimately more shelf space. Anyone who thinks Coke would kill one of the most successful products in the history of civilization is naive.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I am not a coke expert but I could swear Classic Coke is not the original Coke that was on the shelves before the New Coke thing. I think it was a good way to divert attention while they changed sweeteners in the real coke. Was not Coke sweetened with a different sweetener before that whole ordeal?

Wes

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I am not a coke expert but I could swear Classic Coke is not the original Coke that was on the shelves before the New Coke thing. I think it was a good way to divert attention while they changed sweeteners in the real coke. Was not Coke sweetened with a different sweetener before that whole ordeal?

Wes

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
At one point Coke was sweetened with real sugar cane and then they switched to high fructose corn syrup. I'm not sure if the switch coincided with the New Coke fiasco.

As far as them trying to permanently change to new Coke, there was a show on FoodTV about it. They claim that Coke really did try to change the formula as a marketing gimmick to regain market share but when it didn't work, they changed it back. Could be wrong, I don't know, but that's what they claim.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
At one point Coke was sweetened with real sugar cane and then they switched to high fructose corn syrup. I'm not sure if the switch coincided with the New Coke fiasco.

As far as them trying to permanently change to new Coke, there was a show on FoodTV about it. They claim that Coke really did try to change the formula as a marketing gimmick to regain market share but when it didn't work, they changed it back. Could be wrong, I don't know, but that's what they claim.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It's funny that we're here discussing the variations of Coke and the thing that bothers me the most when it comes to Coke's taste is ...

- When you get Coke from a soda fountain, the taste is never consistent. It seems like the mix ratios are never right. Either the mixture has too much syrup in it or too much water. With this being the case, people still drink lots and lots of this stuff.

About the only way around this issue is to head to the bottles or cans where the taste of Coke is a truer one. Plus, the $1.20 or so that you pay for 20 oz. of this stuff is still cheaper than your watery, ice-filled Coke @ Micky Dees. :)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
It's funny that we're here discussing the variations of Coke and the thing that bothers me the most when it comes to Coke's taste is ...

- When you get Coke from a soda fountain, the taste is never consistent. It seems like the mix ratios are never right. Either the mixture has too much syrup in it or too much water. With this being the case, people still drink lots and lots of this stuff.

About the only way around this issue is to head to the bottles or cans where the taste of Coke is a truer one. Plus, the $1.20 or so that you pay for 20 oz. of this stuff is still cheaper than your watery, ice-filled Coke @ Micky Dees. :)

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

You can still buy Coke made with cane sugar. They only produce it around passover though (because corn syrup is not kosher?). Its not marked in any way shape or form other than the tops of the 2-liters are yellow instead of the regular color. Its also has a small UP symbol right in the middle. This stuff tastes way more like the coke in glass bottles I remember growing up with. I think its only released in some markets, but I know I stocked up on about 10 2-liters of it this year.

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator

You can still buy Coke made with cane sugar. They only produce it around passover though (because corn syrup is not kosher?). Its not marked in any way shape or form other than the tops of the 2-liters are yellow instead of the regular color. Its also has a small UP symbol right in the middle. This stuff tastes way more like the coke in glass bottles I remember growing up with. I think its only released in some markets, but I know I stocked up on about 10 2-liters of it this year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just tried C2, and it was not all that tasty to me, so I'll pass on future cans of it. Then again, I usually drink diet counterparts anyway. Diet Dr. Pepper is still the drink that tastes pretty close to regular Dr. Pepper.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just tried C2, and it was not all that tasty to me, so I'll pass on future cans of it. Then again, I usually drink diet counterparts anyway. Diet Dr. Pepper is still the drink that tastes pretty close to regular Dr. Pepper.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I haven't, and probably won't try C2 although Pepsi Edge was not that bad, I prefer my coke classic.

All of this talk about coke makes me want to point out This link for some good cokelore.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I haven't, and probably won't try C2 although Pepsi Edge was not that bad, I prefer my coke classic.

All of this talk about coke makes me want to point out This link for some good cokelore.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
This product makes no sense to me. Many people on the Atkins diet are trying to restrict carbs to < 20 per day. Wasting 12 on a single 8 oz drink doesn't make sense, especially considering the large amount of good tasting 0-calorie sodas out there: Diet Rite, Diet Sunkist, diet 7 UP / Sprite, etc.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
This product makes no sense to me. Many people on the Atkins diet are trying to restrict carbs to < 20 per day. Wasting 12 on a single 8 oz drink doesn't make sense, especially considering the large amount of good tasting 0-calorie sodas out there: Diet Rite, Diet Sunkist, diet 7 UP / Sprite, etc.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I liked the C2 coke. Not as good as real Coke, but OK. I can't drink Diet pop (errr...I mean, soda). I'm not a big cola person anyway (give me a Dr. Pepper any day).

I read that there are 3 different ways that people react to nutrasweet/artificial sweeteners. I've got the worst reaction - the aftertaste is bitter and yucky. The look on my face after a drink of diet pop - it's the aftertaste. It's almost as bad as the look on my face (when I still drank) after a shot of Jagermeister.

I found the C2 had a little tiny bit of the aftertaste, but just a little - very tolerable. I can see myself buying it to cut down on my sugar intake. I try not to drink pop anymore, but I can't help it sometimes, and give in. Especially on days when I'm tired.

I need to try the Pepsi Edge as well. Where's the Mountain Dew Edge? :D Mountain Dew is my real weakness.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I liked the C2 coke. Not as good as real Coke, but OK. I can't drink Diet pop (errr...I mean, soda). I'm not a big cola person anyway (give me a Dr. Pepper any day).

I read that there are 3 different ways that people react to nutrasweet/artificial sweeteners. I've got the worst reaction - the aftertaste is bitter and yucky. The look on my face after a drink of diet pop - it's the aftertaste. It's almost as bad as the look on my face (when I still drank) after a shot of Jagermeister.

I found the C2 had a little tiny bit of the aftertaste, but just a little - very tolerable. I can see myself buying it to cut down on my sugar intake. I try not to drink pop anymore, but I can't help it sometimes, and give in. Especially on days when I'm tired.

I need to try the Pepsi Edge as well. Where's the Mountain Dew Edge? :D Mountain Dew is my real weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks