What's new

New "Look Who's Talking" Boxed Set -- NOT OAR (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hi gang,

For anyone considering purchasing the new Look Who's Talking set, please be aware that all three films are full-frame. The outer packaging does not state this. I took a look at the first film, and I am pretty sure that it's pan & scan as opposed to open-matte. Highly unfortunate. :angry:

CraigL

Screenwriter
Good job, boys. *sigh*

i was only interested in the first two and have them already. they also aren't any different from the other releases any way...Single layered with no extras.

Pointless re-release.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Unfortunate, yes, but come on, these are the LOOK WHO'S TALKING films...does the adjective "highly" really apply? ;)

ZackR

Supporting Actor
People like different movies for different reason. I happen to enjoy the first Look Who's Talking movie. It is not a great movie, but that is not the problem. The problem is these sets have no markings to indicate that they are P&S and the original discs had both OAR and P&S, so many people will assume these are those same discs simply repackaged. Besides, if a film is to be available, regardless of one's opinion on the quality of the film itself, the DVD should still be OAR.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just bought Columbia's THE BLUE LAGOON set for a friend and afterwards noticed that the sequel is 1.33:1 only. :thumbsdown: I could not care less about these two films (and she won't care about the OAR) but it's a shame for fans of the film(s).

Laura Nicholson

Stunt Coordinator

There's a "Blue Lagoon" set? Is "Return to the Blue Lagoon" supposed to be widescreen or was it a made for TV movie? I have the first movie on DVD, and would pick up the set if "Return" was supposed to be 1.33.
And on topic for this thread, are the original "Look Who's Talking" discs out of print?

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

"Return to the Blue Lagoon" was released theatrically. I definitely remember it, they advertised it really heavily.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Sean is correct, I remember it playing when I was around 10 or so. I didn't check the disc out but RETURN says 1.33:1 Full Frame. The first film reads Anamorphic 1.85:1 & 1.33:1 Full Frame and features two commentary tracks and a featurette. $14.95 at BB and Target this week. Again, it was only a gift and I'm sure the girl won't mind the full frame.

I was going to get LOOK WHO'S TALKING but only for the first film but that's on hold until a widescreen version is released.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The "old" Sony released the first 2 Look Who's Talking movies with both WS and F(ool)S. The "new" Sony released Look Who's Talking Now only in FS later. That one did make it to laserdisc in WS though.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Like the Karate Kid III/Next KK disc, labelling on Blue Lagoon is also reversed.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Did your Blue Lagoon come on a single double-sided disc? The screener I got (which I haven't had time to get to yet) is a 2-disc set.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
DS-SL (has to be if it is reversed like KKIII).
It is a set with RTTBLagoon as the 2nd disc.

Double sided discs SUCK...suck....suck. Did I say they sucked? They're NOT rental friendly.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Are you saying that the first film is widescreen on one side and 1.33 on the other? (I haven't really looked at it.) If so, then at least they didn't put both versions on one side, which they've done on a few recent titles.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Yes it is, and wrongly labelled.

Universal (series and doubles/triples), Fox, Columbia (early on), New Line (fickle) are really bad with double-sided discs.

They are terrible, grin.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I thought it was the second two films in the series that had widescreen transfers. But now I'm confused. Amazon says it's the first two, DVDPlanet says it's the first and third, and another retailer says it's the second and third. So can someone who owns all three discs confirm which ones are widescreen?

And I need someone who owns the Blue Lagoon collection as well to confirm if both movies are OAR. Not someone who has a review screener, someone who has the retail package.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I think you're looking for post #6 in this thread. :)

And for future reference, Sony always sends out the actual retail package for review purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks