What's new

NEW Logitech Wireless controllers for XBOX and PS2! FINALLY! (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=8157
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=8182

Finally looks like we will be getting some realisticly sized wireless controllers that are first party approved! Its about time too. These look like big improvements from the pictures alone, but will have to wait and see how they are in person and how well they handle, but from the looks of it, this looks like a step in the right direction. And not a moment too soon.

Now if only the XBOX one had expansion slots in the controller itself for LIVE play

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Looks great, but without that expansion port I don't think I'll bother. Wonder if they'll ever do one that'll work with LIVE headsets...

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Biggest improvement for the Xbox controller looks like the repositioning of the back and start buttons. Used to be on top and a pain to access. Looking forward to trying it out. I've never had much of a problem with the size of the original, although nothing (for me) compares to the Controller S. Their menion of "Official Xbox compatibility approved by Microsoft" is different - never seen that from a 3rd party. I wonder if MS is using Logitech as an out so they don't have to make their own wireless controller.

I agree that Logitech would have better spent their time trying to accommodate a headset port in the controller rather than worrying about the size. I would bet incrementally more people would buy that controller if it offered Xbox Communicator compatibility then will due to smaller size. I for one would easily overlook the size if it could deliver on that front. That aside it would have given them a no-brainer advantage over the competition.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
We just got in the PS2 Cordless action remotes at work, and I have to say this is one snappy looking controller in person. It is almost the exact same size as a regular dual shock 2. I was shocked at how small this controller was. It is slightly thicker than a DS2, but overall is so close, it doesnt matter. Unfortunately I didnt buy one, but spent a good deal of time looking at it through the packaging. Looks very solid and the 39.99 price is great too.

We should get the new cordless XBOX controllers in a week or so, and I will snatch one of those up in a heartbeat, and I will fill everyone in on that when they arrive.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Well, picked up one of the logitech cordless precision controllers for the xbox, and gotta say, this thing is fantastic. Very small and form fitting, it is only slightly different from the S in size and design, mainly the battery compartment on hte back is a tad larger than the hump on hte botton of the S. The dpad on this is raised up and very loose, yet is still very nice, clean, and responsive. The sticks are little looser than the S, but tighter than the Pelican wireless controller. While I still prefer the tightness of the microsoft sticks, this is a small issue. The triggers are mounted slightly higher, but not by much. They also require less pressure to be used, as the distace between not using them and fully depressed is a decent chunk smaller than the S.

The response time is great, with no noticable lag at all. I tested it on a Halo marathon for the analog testing, some project gotham 2 for testing how gentle and precise I can be with turning and gas pressure, and the speed of the dpad got a workout on DOA 3

Aside from those few quirks, this is a VERY solid pad, and so far the best wireless controller for the XBOX. Very highly recommended.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

In my review of the original Xbox wireless I found the D-pad to be pretty solid but it's very subject to mixed commands - diagonal presses are just as likely to result from direct up/down/left/right. This has become extremely evident playing Splinter Cell when controlling Sam's optics. For example, I may go to activate night vision but instead hit his laser sight.

Re: the sticks it sounds like they're using the same mechanism as previous. Compared to the S they tend to move around more when trying to depress them. Maybe would benefit from a shorter stick?

Regardless overall I would completely agree with you that Logitech product is the best Xbox wireless solution available, moreso now that it's smaller (and that those damn back/start buttons have been relocated to a sensible position).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The right stick doesnt really move much when clicking, so thats not an issue. The left stick does slightly, but is easy to get used to working it right.

The old Logitech DPad did have issues with mixed commands, but the new one is just a somewhat raised, looser version of the S dpad, not like the old Logitech pad.

And yes, its good having the start and back buttons in proper place now.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
With a wireless controller this good it's definitely taking the heat off MS to really a first party "wireless S". Particularly now that Xbox Next is on the horizon (which is rumored to have built in wireless controller support).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I dont think that there is a first party S on the horizon really. This one is officially liscenced by Microsoft, its close enough in size, but not perfect. All it needs is a headset port and all is good.

And speaking to Microsoft reps at work, they told me once that they had a deal with Logitech for wireless controllers anyways, so MS really wasnt doing much. Of course, who knows how much the rep knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks