What's new

New Live Action Disney...P&S Only!!!! (1 Viewer)

Wade_W

Auditioning
I haven't seen this posted yet but it looks like Disney is FINALLY releasing some of their live action titles on May 7, 2002. Swiss Family Robinson, Old Yeller, The Parent Trap & Pollyanna. I'm really happy to finally see some of these being released (especially original Parent Trap). Only problem...they're not OAR!!!! Amazon.com has the cover art for each title's 2 DVD set & all the special edition content...but near the bottom: "Full-Screen Format". I don't know how accurate their information is but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. :angry:
IMDB has both Parent Trap & Pollyanna's AR listed at 1.75:1, no listing for Old Yeller & Swiss Family as 2.35:1.
I think it's time for another petition.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
It's not true. NOBODY, not even Disney, would release a 2.35:1 film on DVD exclusively in P&S. If any of you can prove me wrong, why don't you name some big-studio titles that have been released this way?

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I'm betting that Disney is doing duel releases on these titles. Amazon probably has only received info on the p&s and decided they wanted to go ahead and start preorders.

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
I searched many DVD Info Sites and also searched at most On-line Stores. So far only Amazon has these Titles available for pre-order. The Covers are nice looking but i wouldn`t trust Amazon on the Infos provided on their site. Disney really has improved and i can`t believe they would release those movies not in the proper format.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If Amazon.com told you the world was ending, would you believe them?

I'd wait for a press release before getting into a hissy fit, and I have to agree with Jeffrey Gray. No studio would release a 2.35:1 film exclusively in P&S on DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm not worried. I agree that Disney has made VAST improvements in their DVD output and seem finally to be listening to HTF types. I expect that SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON at least will be OAR, if not the others. The lasers of PARENT TRAP and OLD YELLER were full screen, but SFR was 2.35:1.

Chris Dale

Auditioning
In my estimation, if they're going to the effort of creating a two disc set for each of these movies then it is only logically to also release them in their OAR. A lot of the features are aimed toward the adult fan rather than just kids. May is still a few months away. Don't worry yet.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
OK. I forgot about Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but you have to realize that it was an MGM title, released in 1998. And it was ONE title. I don't think any 2.35:1 titles from the major studios have been P&S-only on DVD since then.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I want Johnny Tremain.
I actually got tired of waiting and bought the pan & scan laserdisc of this one about a month ago. Nice transfer, all things considered. Disney released a lot of their live action stuff like Old Yeller, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, and Johnny Tremain 4:3 only on laserdisc. They knew enough to letterbox 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, though. The only way I will upgrade to the DVDs is if I can get OAR.

Regards,

Robert George

Screenwriter
There are several 2.35:1 (anamorphic) films on DVD in pan & scan only, but as has been correctly noted, virtually all of these are from '97 and '98. I don't recall any of them being from Disney.

I would be shocked if Swiss Family Robinson or 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea were released in pan & scan only. Even second tier Disney titles get treated better than that. When Disney pawned off The Black Hole to Anchor Bay, it was at least a letterboxed transfer.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Amazon has posted early information before that turned out to be correct on the dates, but wrong on the details. Often the AR is the most common thing wrong with their data.

I think they default to "full screen" on kiddie-type titles when they lack concrete info. No hard facts, just my observation.

I personally would put faith in the dates, but little else...

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Remember, this is Amazon.com who we talking about here Wade. They the same online company that had the Wonka disc listed as widescreen for months after we found out it was really pan and scam.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Remember, this is Amazon.com who we talking about here Wade. They the same online company that had the Wonka disc listed as widescreen for months after we found out it was really pan and scam.
That wasn't just Amazon. Everyone, including the DVD's producer, thought there would be a widescreen release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks