What's new

New LiteOn LVD-2001 Firmware 0301 Beta (1 Viewer)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Theoretically yes. I was only being cautious because I recently had a problem reverting to an old firmware w/a DVD-ROM drive. It had a beta firmware on it & refused to re-flash w/the original manufacturer firmware.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
The firmware installed successfully without problems. I didn't have time to do a good check of things: had to go to work.
Saturation level MAY have been raised, no big deal.
Ringing in 720p is still there.
Unable to use test patterns to check 1080i at this time, will do that soon.
Setup menu and information overlay seemed the same.
Didn't get a chance to check 480i or 480p.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Over a half-dozen attempts, I still haven't been able to download this. Keeps giving me "server reset the connection" about half way through.

I'm hoping that one of the A/B/C/D buttons has been given the magical powers of random play for CD and MP3 discs.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Geeze....this completely screwed up my color settings. I just got through spending about 20 minutes with DVE, and it's still not right. Close...but not like before.

Haven't been able to detect any differences with any features.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
JohnSterling:

After finally getting time to run DVE on mine I can say they have changed brightness, contrast and saturation. I've finally been able to set mine all back to 0. I had white crush with brightness at 0 or above and had to use -1 but not anymore.

I believe the LiteOn, with video adjustments at zero, is now the same as the Momitsu out-of-the-box. Just stating an observation. Both players look the same and great to me.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
My brightness is now at around 75%-80%, where as before it was around 30-35%. If I calibrate my color first, I have to turn the tint up to around 85-90% (green) before it reads correct.....then, of course, the color is all screwed up.

I went from +1 to -1 on the saturation to try and get the color back in line....but no dice.

I've had problems with my system in the past with DVD players that output 0 ire...so I think that's the big issue. I agree with you, Wesley, that they've made the black level 'correct'. Bad news for me....unfortunately.

So, I'm very much NOT of a fan of this upgrade....especially since I can't find any FEATURES that have been changed for the better. (Like not losing your zoom setting when you change chapters).

I'll probably go back to 229 today.

If there is a big benifit I'm missing, please educate me.

Jools Smyth

Auditioning
The new upgrade includes some much needed functionality.

Subdirectory support in the file browser.

OGG Audio support

No more freezes on divx3. Quality is lower but compatibility is now excellent. Others have mentioned higher bitrates are also possible on xvid/divx4/5 too, and it adjust quality accordingly.

Support for .srt subtitles.

JohnSterling

Stunt Coordinator
Jools,

Interesting.

I watch pretty much zero DiVX stuff on my 2001, so anything related to that isn't an improvement for me. I'll email LiteOn support and see if they can provide a readme for reference on the beta.

For now...229 is much better than 301.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks