What's new

New Line's Lord of the Rings DVD release strategy? (1 Viewer)

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I was so pleased with how they handled the Fellowship of the Ring release that I was wondering if they planned to follow an identical pattern for the next two installments.

I would like to see:

Early 2003 - 4-Minute preview for Return of the King attached to the end of The Two Towers

Early 2003 - Announcement for when the announcement will be.

March - Announcement of DVD releases and features

August - 2-disk theatrical version released, with both trailers and ALL TV spots (including the "in 5 days", and "in 3 days", etc.). The WB "Back to Middle Earth" Special, 10-minute ROTK preview and 3-minute extended cut preview.

November - Extended 4 or 3 disc DVD release. Jackson has already stated he has 30 minutes of footage he'd like to reinstate for an extended DVD cut. Easter egg of the 4-minute theatrical version and 3-4 hours of in depth documentaries, and 4 audio commentaries with the same participants of the first ones (except for the cast). Moviecash ticket for ROTK.

I would be absolutely thrilled if this happened, and I see no reason why it won't. It's working so far, why mess with a good thing. Any extra featues or changes you guys would like to see?

mike martin

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering about the extras that would be present on TTT extended disk. Many of the documentaries from the first one would seem to be redundant for the second and third. As an example, the perspective stuff. Very informative and fun to watch on FOTR; but I don't need to see it all again for how they did TTT shots. Of course, I have no idea what sort of stuff we will be seeing in TTT so perhaps there will be ample new stuff that it would be irrelevant.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
TTT will probably have a lot of material on the battle of Helms Deep, the Ents and Gollum. Maybe TTT will be be a three-disk set. Who knows?

Max

Auditioning
I hope they skip the first version of DVD and just give us an Extended version. I don't want to have to buy both and I don't see why anyone else would. I think if they do put out a 2-discer first that I'll just wait for the Extended DVD.

Max

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I don't want to have to buy both and I don't see why anyone else would.
Because some of us want the original theatrical cut as well as the extended edition. I'd bet most people who bought the extended edition also bought the theatrical cut, and were happy to do so.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I'd bet most people who bought the extended edition also bought the theatrical cut, and were happy to do so.
Noone I know did. Everyone waiting for the extended edition. I rented the 2 disc version though, but I wasn't about to buy it. Never even thought of buying it.

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the 2 disc and the EE, as does my roommate and father. I know I plan on doing the same thing for the next 2 as well.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Rather than forcing fans to buy a movie version they don't want or only offering them one version, giving us a choice is best.

New Line has handled the DVD release perfectly (the only complaint was that the wait was too long for both), and I hope they will continue to do so for the next two films.

Some people will only be interested in the 3 hour theatrical version. That should absolutely be available. If you don't think that should be made available, this might not be the right website for you. Some will only want the extended version, so not tacking the theatrical version onto that is the right move as well. Some will want both, and they can buy both without having to purchase anything (extras included) twice.

I'm a happy owner of both versions, and I look forward to owning both versions of the next two.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Same here. I very willingly purchased the 2-disc version knowing that the EE was on the way and haven't had any regrets.

Christopher_S

Stunt Coordinator
One of my friends called me a "sucker" for purchasing both editions. I asked him how many times he'd seen the film in the theater -- he'd gone three times. Well, I responded, I only went once, then waited for the DVD release. For half what he spent on his second two viewings, I watched my copy over and over while waiting for the EE to come out. I mean, I'm not wealthy by US standards, but the 16.99 I spent for the first release was well worth the amount of use I got out of the 2-disc set, even if I never watch it again.

As long as first-week release prices are as low as they are now, I consider the whole debate a non-issue.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I bought both FotR sets, and will do the same for TTT & RotK. I consider it a big 6-disc ultra edition released in two parts.

New Line has done this one right, and everything points to them continuing this release pattern for the next two films. There's a reason this set & studio are running away with the HTF disc/studio of the year vote!

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Like mentioned above, I wanted to have the original theatrical version as well as the extended cut. I hope they follow this pattern since I will easily do a repeat and buy both.

Being that I have the collector's set with the bookends, the only thing I hope they do differently is find some other useful (and decorative) item to include in another possible gift set other than bookends. Another set of bookends would seem redundant to me as I would think the current ones could be used for the whole trilogy. Maybe a wall-mounted shelf, rack, or holder. I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I consider it a big 6-disc ultra edition released in two parts.
Correct. Since none of the extras are repeated, it is indeed a nice 6-disc edition (7 if you count the National Geographic DVD as well...)
I'm all for buying both versions for the two next movies as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks