New Line: Thanks for LOTR Extras Closed Captions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mikah Cerucco, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

We'd never read the books. We didn't see the movie in theaters. We decided to get the 2-disk version now, and if we really like it, get the 4-disk version later.
    We sat down to watch the movie. Winner. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    We were all ready for more LOTR and suddenly realized this was a New Line disc, so half the family wouldn't be able to enjoy the special features due to no closed captions (or English subtitles). The eyes half-glaze for half the viewing audience as we navigate to the special features.
    [C]BUT WAIT![/C]
    Closed Captions appear. Hey everybody, come back! I quickly look to verify this is a New Line release. Well, it is, but it's not the infernal InfiniFilm type. In fact, I don't even see "Platinum Edition" on here. What I do see is every single extra on the disc close captioned. [​IMG]
    New Line, you have no idea how much this meant to my family and friends. I'd have to be a poet to express it.
    I know this likely isn't a new policy for all discs, but at least as far as this one is concerned, I was glad to give you my money. Assuming the 4-D/5-D versions will be the same, it now becomes a no-brainer that you'll get my money for that too.
    I know some folks will miss the English Subtitles on the extras (there are only Closed Captions), but at least in my case, CC's are plenty good.

2. Megan_A_D

Megan_A_D Stunt Coordinator

Yes yes!!

I'm awaiting my copy in the mail but I had tears of joy in my eyes when I read reviews mentioning that the extras were all captioned...

Now I hope that they do the same for the 4disc set and go so far as to SUBTITLE all the commentaries since that's kinda the last frontier IMO for a fully accessible disc. Fox's been getting good about captioning everything except subtitling the commentaries... I don't know what's so difficult about it ...

But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that NewLine will come through!!

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The new Star Trek II, Wrath of Khan also has subtitled extras.

4. Megan_A_D

Megan_A_D Stunt Coordinator

woot!!! Thanks Steve!!

I'm a gonna hurry and get that disc ASAP now that I know its fully accessible!

5. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

Megan_A_D... all new Paramount titles are fully accessible. They've been doing it for some time. I first noticed it back when they released The General's Daughter (a long time ago). They're the best.

Dreamworks has an OK record.

The rest have been nonexistent. I was pleasantly pleased by Star Wars:Episode 1-The Phantom Menace (Fox) and now LOTR:FOTR (New Line). I haven't noticed any type of trend, but I'll have to keep my eyes open for both Studios.

It's almost enough to make a grown man cry when I think about Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown SE's coming out and I'm almost positive neither will have captions for the extras (and the extras are considerable).

Ah well... enjoy the positive and ignore the negative.

6. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator