What's new

New Line ready for 'Final Destination 3' (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I think the original was a much more enjoyable film. The second one was good, but far too campy in certain scenes, and the characters really were just fodder for the death scenes... but then why waste any time at all trying to make us care about them?

The original had semi-poor character development, but at least the main characters had something of a story going on. It was extremely well done. I think a 3rd one could be really promising, from either team.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
FD1 was a complete failure, even if it had such an interesting premise. Once the plane vision occured, the film went quickly downhill with some interesting deaths here and there. The major problem I had with FD1 is that it took itself way too seriously, especially by time the third act took place by inserting the FBI agents start a cat and mouse game with Alex.

FD2 didn't take itself seriously at all. It was just a 90 minute film with death scene after death scene. Hell, FD2 wasn't even a horror film, more like a twisted dark comedy!

If FD3 goes into the same route that FD2 went, I'll probably end up enjoying it. If FD3 goes into the same route as FD1, I'll probably hate it.

And Morgan and Wong better bring back the two survivors from Final Destination 2. Don't even make any references to the first film.

Hell, clean the slate clean and start a new for all I'm concerned. If I can get a campy horror film that doesn't take itself seriously as people die for 90 minutes, then I'll eat it up.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I thought they both sucked.

I sort of dug the opening act of the first film. Once it settled into its rhythm, though, it lost all suspense, and I found myself bored, just waiting for the co-stars to die one by one until only the mains stars were left (ooh a formula how unexpected...*yawn!*)...Why not kill the main stars first and throw everyone for a loop and tell the story from the pov of a journalist or mortician or fireman or ambulance driver...why not set the thing in an Old Folk's Home? Now there you have some subtext and drama. A bunch of people dying at an old folks home -- who is going to believe the old grandma saying the home is being stalked by "death" itself?

Teeangers wouldn't go see such a film, so that would never be made.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I really don't think the original took itself too seriously. I liked the serious and dark tone for it, and thought it worked well within the film. It sort of made the character's deaths more hard hitting, and also upped the suspense. Still, I definitely think the sequel is better. I think it had better characters, and much better deaths. Some of the best death scenes I've ever seen actually. I also really enjoyed the tongue in cheek aspect of it in contrast to the original's darker tone, and I just thought it a good bit more enjoyable than the first. Either way, I love both, and hope the third lives up to them.

Andrew Priest

Stunt Coordinator

It could work. Done right there would be something creepy about the slow but relentless and unstoppable death. I'd say it's more gruesome if the victim, and audience, sees the method of demise coming well before it arrives, especially if said demise is of the slow but inevitable kind.

David Rosen

Agent
I'm surprised to see that I seem to be in the minority by liking the first much better than the second. The first one freaked the hell out of me, especially the first death, and I thought that the suspense kept things going. I enjoyed the second film for what it was: a second rate splatter flick at best. Where I was kind of freaked in the first movie, I laughed my head off in the second.

Funny, I thought that it was the worst one. My friend actually walked out after that death because she said that it was so horribly unrealistic. It was like the boy didn't have any bones!

I'm sorry, but I have to take the minority opinion on this one...

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Yea I liked the first one just a bit better, but the second had some nice deaths. The plastic pipe though the head was nice.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'm really surprised people actually liked the second one better than the first. It was so been there done that.
They never should have gotten rid of Devon Sawa from the first movie either.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

From what I've read, he's quite a diva on the set. I'd imagine they didn't want to work with him again.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
and he supposedly wanted a TON of money to do part 2. Honestly, keeping Ali Larter was all that mattered to me. She rocks.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
and we havent seen him since.
I had no idea that the new movie has already been made. I thought it was in the planning stages.
Is anyone familiar in this one?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Biggest names are apparently:

Mary Elizabeth Winstead .... as Wendy Christensen
Ryan Merriman .... as Kevin Fischer

(Both of them were in "The Ring 2".)

also Kris Lemche (from "Joan of Arcadia").

No sense in paying for big stars when you're just going to kill them off one-by-one. :D

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
And too bad it's not in 3D, that was the original idea being thrown around. *sigh* Would have been interesting.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I liked the first two, the original more so than the second, I just like the idea that if death is cheated, it get's pissed and devises the most horrible ways to re-claim what it lost.

If they're going to have a rollercoaster accident scene, they should use that new coaster at Six Flags, the 'King Daga' or something like that, it's only a matter of time before that thing kills someone from heart failure.

They won't use that one, though.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Death is one mean, twisted mutha! :D

Another enjoyable installment for those who liked the first two in the series, if not a little too much exposition between death scenes. Nothing ground-breaking here. The new twist is that not only do the kids know the order in which they die, but there are now photographs that provide some clues, if pretty obscure, about the methods of their demise. And the methods they come up with are the real fun in this series. :)

Most of the deaths here were pretty inventive. Events appear to be heading in one direction, then something completely unexpected happens that ends up causing the actual mayhem. I was especially surprised by one death I thought they gave away in the trailers, but they really didn't (at least not completely).

And this time...
Death got every last one of them...no pesky survivors.

I was a little surprised that all the characters were so unlikeable in this film. I know they've always been disposable teenage stereotypes, but I really didn't feel any sympathy for any of them except perhaps the lead two since most of them were such assholes.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I saw it this afternoon, and while the second film is still my favorite of the series, I'd probably put this in second place. The opening with the roller coaster is fantastic! The buildup to them getting on the coaster is very effective. It's the best use of drawn out tension in the series. The coaster accident itself is quite cool, even if the effects aren't the greatest at times.

I'm happy to say that the death scenes are once again up to par. It's nice to see that this series is still full of creativity when it comes to offing people. My favorites were the propeller to the back of that one moron's skull and the nailgun turning Lemche's girlfriend's head into a pin cushion. Gloriously gruesome stuff! Kris Lemche getting squashed was pretty awesome too.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is incredibly cute, and she does good in her role. I liked her a lot, and she got me to thinking it's a pity she decided to be in the Black Christmas remake, because she's better than that. The other standout is the always entertaining Kris Lemche (Ginger Snaps, My Little Eye). It was great seeing him again, and I wish he'd get more roles.

The picture idea was interesting, though obviously inspired by The Omen.

I liked the little nods to the first two films, and Tony Todd's voice coming from the roller coaster devil was a nice touch. The ending withthe subway premonition was a great turn of events, bringing everything full circle. We even hear Tony Todd's voice again as the conductor.

Anyway, the series scores again, and I'd love to see a fourth one. My 4:50 showing was packed, so hopefully this one will do good enough for another sequel. These films are just too fun!

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I enjoyed this one. I think it's on par with the first one, but not as good as the second. Quick question though:

If the guy with the video camera got off the ride, then how did it ever happen, seeing as how his dropping the camera on the track started the whole accident in the first place? My guess is that the ride was broken anyway, but still, that kind of bugged me.

I agree that the deaths in this one were still pretty good and even surprising. I thought for sure that the jock's death was given away clearly in the trailer.

Pretty solid film, but at some point these things are going to just feel like remakes of the first film if all they do is line up another teen cast for a slaughter. But I'm not really going to complain about that too much. ;)

Also, did anyone else notice the little references to part two? For example, the beer truck from the highway crash can be seen during the drive-thru sequence.
And of course, the pigeons in the store.
And does anyone else think it's just a coincidence that the main character uses the picture of Abraham Lincoln, perhaps a reference to Mt. Abraham, the town in the first two?

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This was a bad film, but a not so bad way to kill 90 minutes for the outlandish ridiculousness of it all.

I thought the opening was disappointing compared to the first two films openings. But, it was still ok.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ugh. This movie was weak. The opening roller coaster crash was weak. Oh God, the wheel is coming off! And when the the train stopped on the top of the loop and they couldn't hold on any more, where was the gore, the bodies bouncing off the tracks, the blood? - Something! What a wasted opportunity.

The tanning bed scene, besides being shown in the trailer, was just really stupid. Bad set-up, bad concept (Why couldn't they just slide the shelf to the side? Why would condensation from a cup make the voltage increase? Sure the death scenes in these movies aren't exactly realistic, but at least the first two movies attempted to keep the set-ups somewhat grounded in reality.)

How did the weights crush that guy's head? Are there weight machines out there that the weights don't just move up and down?

The only death scene that was somewhat cool to see was
the nail gun.
That was it for me. And the set-up for that scene was lacking.

I guess the bar was set too high in FD2 for me. That movie was a lot of fun. The set-ups for all of the death scenes were elaborate and very well done. The death scenes were so over the top, they were fun to watch. The characters were actually likeable. And the opening of that film was fantastic.

I think FD3 tried to imitate FD2, but only saw the outer shell of what made that movie so enjoyable.

Well what can I say about a movie where the only thing that I can say positive about was the gratuitous nudity. If you must see this, go to a matinee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks