New Line ready for 'Final Destination 3'

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Malcolm R, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  2. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Can't wait but 3D? Hope they don't bother with that.

Wonder if the rumored "rollercoaster accident" will be opening for it.

3. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

FINAL DESTINATION 3-D could be fun, but only if they distribute it in polarized format. They might have gotten away with the inferior but simple red/cyan anaglyph thing once with SPY KIDS, but they shouldn't press their luck and try it with a film aimed at an older audience.

This can be done. If they could open polarized 3-D films on 1200 screens in the 1980's, then they can do it now.

If they insist on the anaglyph thing, they might get away with a sequence or two (ala FREDDY'S DEAD) but that's it. No one wants to see a complete feature in anaglyph. If that's the plan, then they should just shoot it flat and call it plain old FINAL DESTINATION 3.

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Wasn't Final Destination 3-D supposed to be under the helm of Ellis, Gruber, and Bress (the director and writers of Final Destination 2)? If Morgan and Wong are going to be doing the third, they might scrap the 3-D and the roller coaster idea.

I think getting rid of Ellis, Gruber, and Bress will be a problem for Final Destination 3. They made an enjoyable sequel to a lackluster film with just cool death scenes. If Morgan and Wong take the third outing into more of a serious approach similar to the first film, the third film might end up being worse than the first.

Especially if the X-Files writers turn the last act of the film into an X-Files type episode.

Now, if Morgan and Wong have fun with outing number three and don't take themselves too seriously, then it might just be as good as part two or even better.

5. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Completely disagree. I thought the first was far and away a much better movie than FD2. FD2 had some great death sequences but thats all it had going for it. I thought FD1 had a much more menacing atmosphere, better story, and better characters.

I'm all for bringing back Morgan and Wong.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Woo-Hoo! 3D big budget snuff film!

I hope they don't bother wasting time with plots or characters this time. It wasted about six minutes of screen-time that could have been filled with "gruesome" from the first film.

7. RyanJP

RyanJP Auditioning

Why would they scratch the "roller coaster death"?

8. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I worked a summer at an amusement park and all i could think of was some sort of disaster happening on the various rides. Sort of a twisted way to pass the time. I can say is that this would be a sweet opener for the beginning, if done right.

9. RyanJP

RyanJP Auditioning

I can only imagine what a roller coaster death would be like...[​IMG]

10. Jason Harbaugh

LOL I did the same thing but didn't dare tell anyone since it seemed so morbid. :b

But once you start looking around, a theme park really is one giant Rube Goldberg death device waiting to happen. You can totally see a chain reaction...hollywood style.

If they drop that, what other disaster can they do? Train? Ship? Yonkers? [​IMG]

I think they could do something interesting with a ski resort. Maybe have a gondola snap and fall, land on someone, the cable snap back slicing someone in twine, the whole gondola could slide down the mountain doing who knows what, maybe slamming into a snow grooming machine, and the final blow would be an avalanche.

11. Michael Pakula

Michael Pakula Second Unit

If they make the last movie a dream and get the original actors and it
    takes off where they left than it could end up being quite good.

-Mike

12. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

While I love the original, I like the sequel, as well as its characters, a bit more. Both are great films, and I'm hoping the third one will make this into a very sweet trilogy. Can't wait till it gets released!

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I liked both. And I really liked how the deaths in 2 stringed together off the original deaths in 1. IIRC some of the people were supposed to be on that flight, etc.

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I loved the first one but the second one was the same thing over again with differnt people. That may have been fun when I was a kid and saw all the Halloweens and Friday the 13ths with basically the same plot but I am adult now and dont have enough time to squeeze rehased movies in to my schedule.

How about a new idea?

15. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Not a big fan of the series, but i'll agree with Chmiel here. The second was far better than the first it was just a lot more fun. The first one takes itself a little too seriously for the silliness of its premise. My favorite death from the second one was probably the big sheet of glass. I can just imagine what they would come up with a Rollercoaster scene, could be fun but i'm not a fan of 3D.

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, I hope they drop the 3D concept. I've not seen a 3-D film yet that I thought was worth the hassle.

17. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Never saw the second, but I must to admit that I have something of a soft-spot for the first. However, I'm not at all sure if that was due to the movie or the company I was with, given that it was the first date between me and the girl I still consider my absolute best friend.

18. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

"I can only imagine what a roller coaster death would be like..."

Did you guys know that more people have died on the WEDWay PeopleMover at Disneyland and Walt Disney World than at any other attraction at the Disney parks?

Tis true.

Imagine a Final Destination movie opening with a death on a ride that moves 5 miles an hour.

19. Jason Harbaugh

Not exactly. According to Snopes 9 people have died at Disneyland (not sure if they are including Disney World as well) and only 2 were on the People Mover. 2 also died on the Matterhorn.

A lot of people being drug along rails though.

20. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

The PeopleMover is the most deadly ride at the Disney theme parks...regardless of what "snopes" says. The book "Mouse Tracks" lays it all out for you in gruesome detail.