What's new

New Line: Please no more Infinifilms (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I recently watched John Q and found it very frustrating not having English subtitles. Many display devices don't have close captions and I need the subtitles.

Okay, so I am lucky to have a TV that support close caption, but I am thinking of upgrading to a front projection. Most of them (if not all?) do however not have support for close captions.

Now, I turn on the close caption on John Q and to my horror the close captions are on the top of the movie. All my life I have read subtitles on the bottom and find it very obscuring to have them on the top during the whole movie covering the heads etc.

So if all Infiinifilms will be like this, please don't release any more of them.

Ron Birk

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I don't get the Infinfilms at all...I thought that this was supost to replace the Platinum Series of DVD's but it didn't...it doesn't make sence that Blade 2 isn't part of the Infinfilms line *it's 2 disks* but that Rush Hour 2 is...oh well

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
This is an issue that has been raised many times but nothing has changed.

Each dvd should have BOTH english subtitles AND closed captions.

Infinifilm should be dumped if it is incapable of handling something as simple as subtitles.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Let me get this straight.

You're asking for a whole line of special edition DVDs to be dumped simply because they're missing english subtitles?

I think it would be more logical to ask that subtitles be included in future releases.

I'm not questioning their inclusion, just questioning your choice of words.

Personally, I like the idea of the Infinifilms series and would hate to see them go.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that InfiniFilm is incapable of handling subtitles and that's why it hasn't been used outside US. None of the InfiniFilm release have subtitles but almost every other New Line release has.

I think New Line should stick to their Platinum Editions since they aren't really that different from InfiniFilm.

The basic difference between InfiniFilm and Platinum Edition is how the supplements are accessed. In InfiniFilm they can be accessed throughout the movie (and also through the menus).

I personally like the supplements "on the side", NOT jumping to them while the movie is playing. This interactivity is preventing the inclusion of subtitles and that's why InfiniFilm is not good.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, but I can't understand this.

What is so different about InfiniFilms that they are "incapable of handling subtitles"?

Subtitles not being included is one thing.....but suggesting that they are "incapable"? An Infinifilm is still a DVD...and DVDs can show subtitles....

I don't think this is a space issue, as subtitles must be one of the least space intensive features of DVD.

Mikko Rasinkangas

Stunt Coordinator
If I remember correctly, the InfiniFilm navigation bar that pops up during the movie takes up the subtitle track space. I really can't believe it myself that subtitles can be so hard to include, but that seems to be the case.

When InfiniFilm was first introduced in the US, I asked from the Finnish distributor if they were planning to use it it Finnish R2 releases. They said that "15 Minutes" would be the first InfiniFilm release here in Finland. So... "15 Minutes" gets released, without InfiniFilm. Naturally I want to know why. Reply from the distributor: problems with subtitles and the Infinifilm features, so therefore no InfiniFilm.

I really hope I'm wrong, but since InfiniFilm titles are the only New Line titles that do not have subtitles, all signs point this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks