New line of finished cabinets at PE

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Gilvey, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

WOW. They're going to make a killing on these. I'll be rebuilding, er, re-buying [​IMG] my entire surround sound system with these cabinets. That baffle system is a really smart way of doing it (and I love the fact you can buy additional baffles). I was so excited after seeing these last night that I couldn't sleep (yes, I know I'm a nerd).

2. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

Seem a little expensive to me. Throw in PE's notoriously high shipping costs and these things will be dear indeed. [​IMG]

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Those are really nice cabinets, and I especially like the removable baffles. However, they would be very expensive for us Canadians [​IMG] Those would be great for my computer system speakers, but I guess I'll have to make my own.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jonathan,

You apparently don't know what quality cabinetry costs. I wouldn't build 'em for those prices! [​IMG] I'd bet money that any speaker on the market has more money in the cabinets than the components which are in the cabinets.

5. Mark Hayenga

Having been building my own cabinets for the last few years, I really think the PE cabs are cheap for what they appear to be. I couldn't make cabinets of that high quality at that cost (and I have or have access to all the necessary tools). Yay cheap foreign labor [​IMG]

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think the cabinets are 0.5" thick (with a 1" thick front baffle). That may or may not impact a person's choice in using the pre-fab cabs.

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Didn't they say that they were .75" thick all around and 1" thick for the baffles??

8. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator

From their site....

Constructed out of 3/4" MDF with real wood veneers, the quality of these cabinets is outstanding. Each cabinet has 3/4" side and back panels with a 3/4" MDF "shelf" brace running vertically up the sides and across the top and bottom. The baffle is 1" MDF with a black satin finish and rabbeted construction. The rear of the cabinet features two 1/4" holes allowing the simple installation of our knock-in binding posts (#091-1245). The overall cabinet is extremely rigid and solid, with minimized panel resonance.

9. Doug E

Doug E Extra

Wow. I want to build a surround system with these cabinets.

What kits would you guys use with these? Would the GR Research AV1 and AV1+ work with these cabs?

10. Doug E

Doug E Extra

Wow. I want to build a surround system with these cabinets.

What kits would you guys use with these? Would the GR Research AV1 and AV1+ work with these cabs?

11. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

That's what I want to know too. It looks like the .38 cu ft cab would be a good match for the AV1 kit. Any one wanna chime in here?

12. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

WOW, is the word for them. Especially the price. I love the design they came up for them. I think this will bring more people into diy. It will make me think twice about building my own boxes are just buying them if I don't have the time. Ok I like the smell of fresh cut mdf too much to abandon building them myself all together. But, I may give them a try for a the heck of it.[​IMG] to PE

13. Jonathan_D

Jonathan_D Stunt Coordinator

Well, the .38 cabinet from Speaker City is cheaper then the one offered from PE. The others are either cheaper or comparable and Speaker City, IIRC, has lower shipping costs, even from the west coast. I have one set of cabinets from Speaker City and the build quality is very good. Obviously, I don't know how they compare to the ones from PE. (BTW, usual disclaimer of no affiliation with SC.)

And I find it somewhat incredible that someone with the tools (or access to them) would not be able to make a pair of .38 FT3 cabinets for less than $150 (the cost of a pair plus shipping). I will admit that PE's basic shipping cost (UPS Ground) is cheaper than I would have anticipated given their general inflated charges on light orders.

Don't get me wrong, I like PE. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them, but I'm not an uncritical buyer. I'd be interested in the impression of anyone who winds up purchasing them.

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Well, whether or not you could build cabs for the same or less money depends...on how fast you are and how much value you put on your time per hour. If you're a DIY-er, then you probably don't count the cost of your labor in the total cost and therefore, of course you could build equivalent cabs for less.

Brian, I'd like to take you up on your bet - how much? Speakers made in the orient have VERY low cost labor and if the drivers used in a particular model are quality drivers, then I'd wager the drivers and crossovers and other hardware cost more than the cabs.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I was confused by "width of useable baffle" to arrive at wall thickness. I guess the front baffle has a 1/2" roundover.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,

Maybe I should have excluded speakers built in the Orient, which amounts to slave labor even if it's more money than they've ever seen in their lives. [​IMG] Also, I'd never bet more than $1 as it's about as much as I can afford to lose these days! [​IMG]

17. Mark Hayenga

18. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer