New Line: "No more snappers!" Thank-you!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattHR, Sep 12, 2002.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

This from Video Store Magazine, Sep. 12, 2002:
    New Line Moving Away from Snapper Case
    Author: ENRIQUE RIVERO
    eriver[email protected]
    Posted: September 12, 2002
    New Line Home Entertainment is joining the list of suppliers who have moved away from the DVD snapper cases.
    New Line, a division of AOL Time Warner, is phasing out the cardboard cases in favor of the plastic keepcases known as Amarays, spokeswoman Amy Gorton said. The snappers are produced by Ivy Hill Corp., also an AOL Time Warner-owned company.
    The transition should be complete sometime next year, when New Line will use a combination of Amarays and other packaging, such as the cardboard and plastic Digipaks for multi-disc special releases.
    “Consumers sort of voice a preference for Amarays,” Gorton said. “We’re doing what the consumers are asking for.”
    New Line will use snappers for some releases through the end of this year.
    New Line has been packaging its infinifilm line in the plastic keepcases since the line’s debut early last year. It is also using the cases for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings and Blade II double disc sets, as well as for the recently released single disc Platinum Series edition of The Mack.
    Upcoming titles to be packaged in the keepcases include Jason X and Jason Goes to Hell, she said.
    Consumers are not likely to miss the snappers, say several DVD Web site operators, who applauded New Line’s move.
    “Oh, great! Woo-hoo! You can quote me on that,” commented Geoffrey Kleinman, editor of DVD Talk.
    The list of his group’s complaints includes that the plastic catch holding the snapper closed tends to snag on the edges of the plastic cases sitting next to them in DVD libraries.
    “Customers have voiced their displeasure [with snappers],” Kleinman said. “They don’t have the durability of an Amaray and you can’t replace them like Amarays.”
    Bill Hunt, editor of The Digital Bits, said he found the snappers “adequate,” but noted that they were never favorites with DVD fans because they are easily crushed and scuffed.
    Consumers, however, smile on the cardboard Digipaks, which Hunt said are more durable than the snappers. He said the news will be greeted “with some happiness by some people.”
    “At least our readers have said ‘Ditch the snapper, we’d be much happier to see the keepcase take off,’” Hunt said.
    Ron Epstein, co-owner and co-founder of the Home Theater Forum, noted that matters are made worse now that suppliers seal the snappers on three sides with adhesive security tape.
    “You take them off the wrong way and you can scratch those cases very easily,” he said.
    He said he didn’t think any DVD collector would ever opt for a snapper over an Amaray case.
    “True collectors are very concerned about preserving their DVDs and the last thing they want is to damage the cases,” Epstein said. “DVD covers mean as much to the collector as the disc inside, in many cases.”
    Warner Home Video is the only major supplier that still uses the snappers, and consumers want the studio to switch to Amarays. Indeed, a petition on PetitionOnline.com urging Warner to do just that has garnered 1,436 signatures.
    Warner representatives did not comment by press time.

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Being one of the few who actually likes snappers, I'll say that I'd rather see them stop being used than get them with those stupid security stickers stuck on them! They were sticking them outside the shrinkwrap for a while, which was good because you could make sure you were getting a brand-new copy, but it's just ridiculous having them stuck on the cardboard!

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I wonder how this is getting done internally within the WB/AOL infastructure? I can't believe the parents would let New Line shift while they hold ownership and interest in a snapper producing company.

I guess you have to think they are going to liquidate that company at some point (or transform it to digipak/keep production) and shift all the WB product to keeps as well.

Sure would make sense for them to ease into this transition in this manner. More sense than New Line just going rogue on them.

6. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Says that the company that produces snappers is owned by AOL Time Warner. That explains a lot.

7. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Oh well, I'm one of the few who really did like the snapper cases.

8. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I don't see what everyone's problem is with snappers. If you just take decent care of them, they're fine. The first DVD I ever bought, back in January 99 (over 3 1/2 years ago) was an Image title in a snapper, and the case is still in damn good shape, and it's still one of my most-watched discs, so the case gets used a lot.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

10. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Good news indeed, at first I didn't feel one way or another on the subject but given a choice I would definitely choose Alpha - Amaray or Digipak over snappers any day.

11. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I personally felt that New Line's foldout snappers where a lot classier than the bland plastic keep-cases.
    I don't think the packaging on "The Sweet Hereafter" would have looked nearly as elegant had it been a mere sheet of paper slipped into some dime a dozen keep-case.
    Oh well, A small victory for the masses who crave conformity. [​IMG]

12. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

13. Rollie

Rollie Stunt Coordinator

DIE! SNAPPER! DIE! [​IMG]
    Personally, I always hated the fact that Snappers seemed to attract fingerprints! Keep Cases are just easier to maintain. I wonder how New Line will handle the inside book/sleeve situation. Judging from their fold out covers of the past, I'm sure they'll be nice.

14. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Does anybody else giggle like a silly immature motherforker everytime you see or hear the phrase "snapper"..?

Or am I just REALLY badly dating myself?

In any case... huzzah!! =)

15. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

This is great news!

Warner just recently used a keepcase, too: for Janet Live in Hawaii.

16. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

17. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Snappers do have a great hub. It's the rest of it that 95% of us hate

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Good riddance. I haven't bought anything in a snapper for ages. I figure at some point they'll all be gone, so I can wait. I do have a few remnants of some that didn't fare well in the post. I like uniformity, and can't stand digipacks either, but do like the plastic multipacks.

19. Tom B. Stones

Tom B. Stones Stunt Coordinator

That is quite the most excellent news! [​IMG]

20. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Jeff K. on this one. I love the hub that comes with the snapper and, to take it a step further, I like how the artwork is handled on a number of snappers. However, the very first DVD I ever acquired was Blade and by now the edges are totally frayed. The sad thing about that is it just sits on the shelf most of the time. This is my big problem with the snapper cases.

Thank you New Line!