New Line LOTR Poster Art

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EdwardS, Dec 15, 2003.

1. EdwardS

EdwardS Extra

Re New Line's Approah....as someone who appreciates movie posters as a kind of artform, i have to say the only part of the LOTR mvie trilogy which I don't like is the poster campaigns for each film....can you imagine how cool some of the teaser posters could have been with artwork possibly by Lee or Howe? Plus you could have a very nice lenticular poster of the ring...when you walk past it in a lightbox in a theatre the image coulf move to reveal the poem on the ring's surfaces...
    Speaking of the poem, I think a much greater use of it could have been made...it is extremely powerful and mysterious and really focuses the audience's attention on the Ring itself.... ho hum

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Quick, mention the DVDs.

3. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

I agree with a lot of what you said. I like a few of the posters that have been released, but most of them just aren't that good. Too many floating heads.

4. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I have a bus shelter-sized Argonath poster and I LOVE it. I'm not fond of the others except for the The Two Towers poster with just the two towers in it. The Return of the King doesn't have a single one I like.

5. Chuck Stephens

Chuck Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I haven't been that impressed by the posters for the Lord of the Rings trilogy at all. Granted, they are better than most of the 1-sheets in theaters these days (i know because I've worked at various theaters for the past 6 years) but they haven't been as good as they could have been. I mean will someone other than George Lucas throw Drew Struzan a bone these days. He's the premiere movie poster illustrator of the past 20 years yet his output these days is down to alsmot nothing. I personally prefer illustration type posters to these damn Photoshop jobs they're passing off as movie poster art these days but that's just me and I'm probably in the minority on that. Oh, and I think this might be in the wrong forum[​IMG]

6. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

7. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Yeah, the only posters I've really liked are the Argonath poster and the TTT poster with just the towers in them. I can appreciate how the marketing people think the "floating heads" sell the film better, but really, I've not talked to one single non movie-geek that even notices movie posters anymore as a gauge for whether to see it or not, so why bother with "marketing" issues and not just make them artistic? Maybe we need an Oscar for best poster art? [​IMG]

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I really wanted a ROTK poster to go with the Argonath and Towers posters. Would have made a great set for my hallway. I don't know what I'm going to do about a ROTK poster now. Probably just have to go with the Aragorn/sword teaser poster.

9. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

10. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Gary, FYI I have removed the animated gif from your signature. 93k is much too big and animations aren't permitted in sigs.

Adam